PDA

View Full Version : 455 olds engine assembly

dgie
07-27-2003, 03:15 PM
I am assembling my motor and forgot which head came off of which side, are they interchangeable? They are "J" heads also does anything go in behind the timing gear on the crank?

Omega21
07-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Have the heads & block been machined?
Todd

sidewound
07-27-2003, 04:43 PM
They only go one way I think.
The pushrod tingies have to line up with the rocker arm thingies. Check for your alternator mounts.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114MY_MOTO-med.JPG
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR
[ July 27, 2003, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: sidewound ]

Oldsquirt
07-27-2003, 04:47 PM
The heads ARE interchangeable side-to-side.
Nothing behind timing gear on crank.

Omega21
07-27-2003, 08:22 PM
OS is right...they are interchangeable. I was asking if they'd been machined because if one's flat and the other isn't... it may like to wipe out head gaskets & with a jet pump pushing water through that motor...
Anyway, you get what I was thinking.
Todd

dgie
07-27-2003, 08:31 PM
cool, thanks for the responses, just want to make sure on everything before proceeding.
[ July 27, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: dgie ]

dgie
07-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Sidewound is that engine sitting on the oil pan, if it is it strong enough to hold that engine up?

Moneypitt
07-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Yes Dgie, An oil pan will support an engine. Just don't drop it on the pan or you may cave in the bottom. The heads are interchangable side to side, and there should be an oil "slinger" that slides on the crank after the lower gear and chain are installed. Some engines don't use them, other engines that had them from the factory, may no longer have them. All they do is sling oil away from the front seal, which helps prevent leaks..Moneypitt
P.S. The cam part is done?

dgie
07-27-2003, 09:29 PM
The cam is done :D I am quite relieved. Was over on the realoldspower board and those guys read all my posts and told me that I am on the wrong valve. I was thinking thatit was the same as chevy's intake is second on SBC. It is not, it is the first one. Oh well live and learn, I came up with 106 after double checking it and resetting my TDC again. 106 gives it a 4 degree advance, the guy on realoldspower told me I might want to advance it a couple more degrees from that because "J" heads do not flow quite as well. I descided to go ahead and install it straight up and run with the 106. If it is a low performer I may go back and advance it a little more after the cam is broken in and the new chain is stretched a little.

Moneypitt
07-27-2003, 09:34 PM
RIGHT ON!!!Good job.....Moneypitt

dgie
07-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Hey moneypitt I want to make sure I have all the stuff on right up on the cam shaft. It goes, (I think) gear then fuel cam thing(eccentric I think is the name) then bolt. Am I leaving anything out? also I used red loctite and torqued it to 65ft/lb as per torqe specs that I have. Just hope I am not leaving anything out
[ July 27, 2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: dgie ]

Moneypitt
07-28-2003, 08:15 AM
Sounds right, the best test is how many parts are left over when you're done!!! Do you have an oil slinger? and pay special attention to the gasket surfaces, very clean, all the old stuff off, the worst thing in a boat is an oil leak!!!.........Moneypitt

dgie
07-28-2003, 08:24 AM
I always end up with extra parts :D I have an oil slinger on the crank, hell I guess thats what it is, still learning the parts names(its like a dish looking thing facing outward)I wish they had book specifically to the 455 like they do for my Integra. I bought the hanes manual they go through everything from a cadilac to a toronado. Not specific enough, I also have the Mondello book and that seems to be too technical for me at this point. It tells about measurements that mean nothing to me at my current level. If anyone knows of a book specific to the 455 let me know, before I learn everthing from this board and then write my own :)

malcolm
07-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Ha-ha, that Mondello book must have been written when they were all drunk. No order to it at all, if someone would reorganize it (and maybe rewrite it), it might be a good book. :p

dgie
07-28-2003, 11:47 PM
you got that right Malcolm. I think it makes sense to them and only them.