PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible ??

Checkmate1
07-09-2003, 06:27 PM
There is a guy close to me that has his 18' Checkmate for sale. It has the 455 in it. I have known this guy for years, but not as a close friend or anything. He says he has about 7,000 into the motor. I think he is full of it for the simple fact that when I pulled the oil fill plug off the valve cover I could see the factory style stamped rockers. Who would put 7,000 into an engine and use factory rockers ?? Not to mention the cam limitations of a stock type rocker.
Here is the question...He says that from a dead stop when he floors it that the boat actually jumps out of the water for a split second. :rolleyes: I can't see a jet doing that. Also, he told my buddy (who wants to buy it) That the boat does every bit of 80 miles per hour.
The boat is weathered and IMO is worth about $2,500. The guy wants $3,000 for it.
On the way home my buddy asks my opinion on it. I reached in my center console grabbed my GPS and said. Here is what I would do. Offer the guy $2,200 for it, BUT tell him that if he can get that boat to read a 75 on the GPS then you will give him 3,000 for it. I said hell I would even give him $100 towards it, that's how positive I am that the boat does not do any 80 miles or eveb 75 miles per hour. argue
[ July 09, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Checkmate1 ]

sidewound
07-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Give it the test!!!!!!!!!!
$100 less for every mile an hour under eighty. Sounds fair to me. I would give 3K for an 80 mile an hour boat. Then I could sell it to some speed hungry jet freak for twice that. That's not everyday. With the Olds and stock valve train I dont think you could be lookin at over 350 horse.Possibly 375. I could be wrong. Maybe it's the special "SLEEPER" valve train assy. I've heard of these but thought the developement was still in the fantasy stage. :D
Boy how time flies.
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

572Daytona
07-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Does it have any DNE stickers on the valve covers? If not you will probably be lucky to see 65.

1Bahnerjet
07-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Well you Know with a Jet Boat (puts alot of Load on an Engine) that Motor could have Been Rebuilt every Couple of Years ( at $2,500. a Pop if you let a Mechanic do it ) So you can have that Kind of Money in it and its Still More or Less Stock. eek! But that Don't Explane the 80mph Does he use GPS or the Seat of his Pants? :D
---------------
Thats BANNER with an H
[ July 09, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: 1Bahnerjet ]

Badboat1
07-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Seat of his pants.I think it must be the wind in his face is how he figures speed.I tried that for some reason it does not work LOL.I would not even buy that boat unless you could get it dirt cheap. Like he pays you to take it.
BB1

Old Guy
07-09-2003, 07:39 PM
I've been running a 455 olds for about 15 years. I don't want to talk about how much $$$$$$$ I have invested. Let's just say I'm not a quitter. I am so sure that dude can't get 80 mph out of that rig that if I was interested in it, I would offer $4K if it goes 80 mph. If it don't go 80 mph, he sells it to me for $2K. I will go with him to the GPS store and buy the GPS of his choice. If it goes 80 mph, I pay for it. If it don't go 80 mph, he buys it (I get to keep it).
I can't tell you how many times I've been ripped by big mouth dudes like this. If he's not willing to put his money where his mouth is, tell him to take a hike.
old

JESSE
07-10-2003, 07:31 PM
are you sure he is not talking about on the trailer on the way to the lake. iknow that is the only my boat gose 80 mph

Cs19
07-10-2003, 07:33 PM
572Daytona:
Does it have any DNE stickers on the valve covers? If not you will probably be lucky to see 65. its getting old.

Checkmate1
07-11-2003, 02:16 AM
JESSE:
are you sure he is not talking about on the trailer on the way to the lake. iknow that is the only my boat gose 80 mph Now THAT was funny as hell.
I never asked him about if he GPSd it. Right now I am playing stupid about it. I told my buddy (he is the one looking at it) what to say to him. I like the $100 per mile thing. :D
Funny thing is, I think he is using his speedo for a reference and even that seems waaaaay to high for me.

Jungle Boy
07-11-2003, 04:13 AM
Did he slur his words and smell like pot?

ChetCapoli
07-11-2003, 05:56 AM
hey checkmate,
hmmmm....7000 invested in a 455, has factory shit, is bulletproof and makes the boat jump out of the water when you mash the throttle...could be the DNE sticker on the valve cover senerio. Sounds like the culprit to me :D Has he mentioned a dyno sheet at all????
I've been away too long, the sticker thing is hilarious! Omega and blown have me beat on the HB thing for sure! LMAO!!
CHET
[ July 11, 2003, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: ChetCapoli ]