PDA

View Full Version : Main,Rod, And Cam Bearing Selection

Hallett19
05-07-2002, 11:04 AM
I used clevite bearings before, but what do the pros like ?

spectras only
05-07-2002, 11:09 AM
I've always used federal mogul bearings & Felpro gaskets

mister460
05-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Clevite 77, Fed Mogul are both excellent. I've used both and never had a problem. Except, y'know, when an oil cooler line blows at 8 grand in a small block Chev. Then the bearings don't like to play nice! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

FoMoCo
05-07-2002, 02:21 PM
Ok if your going that far, I have a deal for you! I have a Block that I had machined last year when I was building my motor. But it had to go .060 to clean up, SO I had the machine shop go ahead with the machina work because they where going to charge me anyway. So I had to find another block, to build for my boat. To make a ling story short I have a freshley machined block, with new cam bearings and freeze plugs just wasting away on my garage floor! Its a D1VE block. The funny thing is I am coming to North Hollywood this weekend to help my starving actor brother move to a new apartment. I could bring up the block for a fellow jet boater! I just want $125.00 for it ! I want to cover half of what I got into it!

Hallett19
05-07-2002, 02:23 PM
mister460, would a cam bearing make this thing bleed off lots of oil psi ? also, some of the bearings were a little rough, but no copper and one of them had a scratch in it, the whole way around down to the copper. and the back of the rod bearings had all types of wear on them, not like they were spinning, but like they were moving around somehow...weird. But the main bearings werent even broken in yet !!! they still looked very new and still had lots of white on them left from being new!

Hallett19
05-07-2002, 02:25 PM
if its 60 over, I have to get new pistons, right ?? And I don't know if I want to do that becasue in the middle of the lifter valley on my block, it has two letters ..... C J ........ mmmmmmmm....cobra jet....

FoMoCo
05-07-2002, 02:58 PM
I wing my new 429 to 6300 out of the hole, with just ARP main studs and cobra jet rods. its just a 2 bolt main block. Just a thought?

77charger
05-07-2002, 04:30 PM
i use the fed mogul no probs here,Unless you plan on reving higher than the shy a 2 bolt will live.I rev mine to 5500.i say just hat tank the block,new bearings and reassemble.
Any time there is a lot of clearance in cam,rods,or mains you will lose oil pressure.