PDA

View Full Version : EXHAUST LOG MODS

PLACECRAFT20
04-29-2003, 08:00 AM
I AM GOING TO TRY SOMETHING AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ALREADY TRIED? I HAVE A SET OF NICKSON LOGS. THE EXHAUST I.D. ON THE FLANGE ON THE RISER IS 2 3/8". I NOTICED IF YOU CUT THE FLANGE OFF YOU CAN USE THE BIGGER PART OF THE RISER AND HAVE A 2 7/8" I.D.. THIS LEAVES THE FLANGE O.D. AT 3 1/2". THIS WILL ALSO ALLOW YOU TO RUN 3 1/2" TIPS OR 4" TIPS WITH A REDUSER. THE STOCK BELL TIPS HAD A I.D. OF 2 7/8". THIS SHOULD FREE THE EXHAUST SOME WHAT TO GET RID OF THE SMALL FLANGE AND PIPES. I WILL POST PICTURES IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED.

miller19j
04-29-2003, 08:51 AM
I just did the same thing this winter. I made quite a few other changes at the same time so I have no idea how it will affect performance. But it can’t hurt.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-29-2003, 08:52 AM
Texas Jet did the same thing with his rig. he might have pictures if you ask him. I don't know if it helped him at all but I personally think it won't do much good. The problem with logs are the risers/snails. They are extremely restrictive. I have logs on my boat and run the 2 7/8" hose. Trying to ditch them and get headers. I know logs don't work good especially if you have a radical cam in your boat. You could try it but why not take the money and put it towards a new set of headers. Just my opinion though. I guess if your engine is covered that would throw a wrench in that idea too.

Hustler
04-29-2003, 08:55 AM
I did the same thing with mine last year and you have to use a 4" tip with a reducer (wich cost more) Rex has a real nice SS tip that are about 80 bucks each with a flapper on the inside. make sure if you get the SS tips use CLR on them after everytrip.

Old Guy
04-29-2003, 02:54 PM
I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I also went with 4" mufflers adapted to 3 1/3" hose. Works real good. I think every little bit helps. Around here, they are real fussy about noise, so I just tried to make the best deal I could. I also made many other changes at the same time, so I can't say for sure regarding performance.
http://files.triton.net/old1/new_pump.jpg
Works for me.
old

Rexone
04-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Cutting them off is a common modification and in most cases does help power a little because of all the backpressure created with all the water going through the typical riser setup with a small outlet hole.

PLACECRAFT20
04-29-2003, 06:05 PM
ok thanks guys
i cut them tonight. headers were ordered and then cancelled because of room under the cover and money got tight because wife changed jobs. my only options now are lightning headers custom made for short application. i will update on performane gains.
thanks for the input
mitch

sidewound
04-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Does anyone know if you can run logs without the risers? I assume I would have to build a custom transition. Just a thought.
These are the stainless tips I built for mine.
3 1/2" ID.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114TIPS-med.jpg
Peace Man
CESAR

Rexone
04-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Cesar, In a jet, the engine sits so low typically that with log manifolds you just about have to run the risers to keep the backwash out of the exhaust. Generally you don't have alot of room to work with fab'ing up anything different either. To take them out is asking for water problems. Unfortuantely they are power robbers because of thier design.
Now center-rise manifolds solves that problem because they are much higher (keeps the water out). But in small jet boats the height can create it's own set of challenges... engine covers, etc.