PDA

View Full Version : OIL PRESSURE!

wet77
08-27-2003, 03:33 PM
I noticed that my oil pressure after a oil change is only 42psi cold and drops to about 34 at idle,now I hooked up a mechanical gauge to it tonight thinking it was just a bad sending unit but that read 42-44 psi also!
I usually with 20-50 wt oil see at least 60psi cold???
Its a 460 ford, stock pan
Could I have something in the pickup?
I hope I can still run it this weekend and then worry about it after.
Thoughts?
Ideas?

victorfb
08-27-2003, 03:47 PM
did you change the filter? and to which brand? i have heard alot of people having problems with FRAM. not sure if the drop in preasure can be caused by a bad filter or not, but some have said they got no preasure at all with the FRAMs. i normally use WIX, b ut have been trying the STP. semms to be working good.

Rexone
08-27-2003, 04:08 PM
ditto that, check the filter. another possibility is a cracked oil pickup. I've seen this happen and it will start sucking air through the crack, thereby reducing oil pressure. probably a longshot on that one.

wet77
08-27-2003, 04:09 PM
yes I did put on a fram filter its there drive hard series one and it is grey in color with the easy grip texture on the end.
What is a foolproof filter that has had no known problems or at least a trust worthy one?
PS I am running now mobil1 15-50 full synthetic

Floored
08-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Napa Wix Baldwin heard good about K&N The mobil 1 is a little thinner also and will alter oil press readings. 20-50 petro oil is thicker than mobil 1 15-50.

Rexone
08-27-2003, 05:20 PM
My preference is Baldwin or K&N, never used Wix but have heard nothing but good about them.
One nice feature on the K&N none of the others offer is the hex on the bottom for a wrench. Some boats can be a bitch to get a traditional filter wrench down in there.
[ August 27, 2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Mr Twister
08-27-2003, 05:40 PM
I run System 1 brand large oil filters (cast aluminum). One of the best benefits is when you take it apart to clean it, you can see whats in it and it gives you an "at a glance" picture of what your motor is doing health wise. The other thing is you never have to buy another one. I think the stainless steel media has 10 micron holes. My oil pressure is always good-but I run synthetic and an oil cooler. :D

wet77
08-27-2003, 05:43 PM
I think I will try the K&N tommorrow
Do you know the filter number for a 460 ford?
The fram number is FR-16
I need a shorter one than most applications for a automobile ford due to my clearance from my stringer.

malcolm
08-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know who is making the K&N filters? Or are they actually making them for themselves?

Rexone
08-27-2003, 10:33 PM
wet77:
I think I will try the K&N tommorrow
Do you know the filter number for a 460 ford?
The fram number is FR-16
I need a shorter one than most applications for a automobile ford due to my clearance from my stringer. The short Ford should be an HP2004 K&N. I don't have it in stock, just checked, but can order a case (we need them anyway) if you need. KN filters are $8.97 ea.

wet77
08-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Put on new K&N filter today and still same oil psi so I am going to cross my fingures and hope it will last the weekend!
Maybe this winter I will go for a new oil pan 10qt!!
and a new oil pump.
Thanks for all the help especialy the K&N number it saved alot of guess work.
Dont you just hate it when you go into a parts store looking for motor parts and they ask you what year and make?
You say Jet boat they say WHAT????

Squirtcha?
08-28-2003, 03:45 PM
victorfb:
did you change the filter? and to which brand? i have heard alot of people having problems with FRAM. not sure if the drop in preasure can be caused by a bad filter or not, but some have said they got no preasure at all with the FRAMs. i normally use WIX, b ut have been trying the STP. semms to be working good. A little late here but, I'll toss out my two cents worth of bull. I'm running the Fram HP1 filter and Valvoline 20W-50 full synthetic on my BBF. Oil pressure is 70psi cold and a rock solid 50psi when all warmed up and running hard. The Fram doesn't seem to hurt mine. I have read some of the stuff on Baldwin and Wix and am contemplating a change (even though everything seems o.k.)
The reading I did was pretty compelling and sure seemed to point towards the Fram's not being all they could be.
[ August 28, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
08-30-2003, 06:56 AM
I RUN THE FRAM PH 8A ON MY REMOTE FILTER BLOCK, 75# COLD AND ABOUT 68# HOT, WORKS PISSER WE SELL BOTH WIX AND BALDWIN HERE AT THE MARINA, ALL SEEM TO BE GOOD. MY BOSS DOESN'T LIKE FRAM EITHER.?.
PS, IT'S AN OLD WIVES TALE THAT A HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP HAS TO BE USED WITH A BIG PAN. I'VE BEEN RUNNING A HI PRESSURE/HI VOLUME OIL PUMP ALL SUMMER ON THE STOCK PAN, IT'S PISSER...BILL.

mgar_red
08-31-2003, 01:09 AM
I bought my Taylor 460 from a mechanic. He must have had a Carquest Auto Parts in his neighborhood, for that's all I see as far as filters and other replacements under the hood. I added a Murphy mech gauge next to the sending unit to confirm why my dash gauge was always pegged over. Cold psi of 80 and down to 70+ when warm. I'm fixing to mail him about which brand and weight of oil he used.

wet77
09-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Used the boat all weekend and no trouble ,oil psi never dropped below 40psi I might try to put in some 20-50wt to see if that makes a difference because that is what I use to use. at least it is cheaper and easier than pulling out the motor.
Thanks again everyone for all the advice.
I am not sure if I will stick the money into the dooley pan, because I am on the hunt for my "LAST" jet boat a 21' daytona eliminator tunnel. So if I ever find one, this boat goes for sale and nothing else besides that exact boat will I trade or sell this one for. ITS MY BABY!!

Floored
09-01-2003, 12:25 PM
with the 20-50 non synthetic your press will probably come back closer to normal. the synthetic will flow easier and if your clearances are a little on the loose side ( from wear) you will show a lower pressure.

UBFJ #454
09-01-2003, 01:14 PM
[ September 02, 2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: BEAR_454PE ]

HammerDown
09-01-2003, 01:49 PM
BEAR_454PE:
Once you go to synthetic, Do Not ... I Repeat, Do Not change back to non synthetic!!! Why...what do you think is going to happen? :rolleyes:
(this I gotta here)...and not being a smart A$$.
Reason being...I tryed 20/50 Red Line Syn in my Harley...it turned to water the motor ran hotter, made all kinds of scary noises. I drained it out and went back to straight 50Wt.
[ September 01, 2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

wet77
09-01-2003, 03:25 PM
I know not to go back from a synthetic on my jet ski's on the injector oil for a 2-stroke but whats the big deal about switching back on a basiclly car engine???
I would really like to know because I just tried synthetic in my 350 in my truck and if I go back to a non-synthetic why would this be bad??

Chris J
09-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Just thought I'd point out something out. If you're relying on your oil filter to increase your oil pressure you are looking at the problem ass-backwards. The oil filter is located between your oil pump and the parts you are trying to protect. If you're building pressure because of your filter it is because it is restricting the flow of oil to the motor. A good oil filter will see less oil pressure becuase the is no pressure drop across the filter. A SLIGHT pressure drop would be a good thing when switching to a HP filter. Don't confuse hi flow with hi pressure.

mgar_red
09-02-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Chris J:
The oil filter is located between your oil pump and the parts you are trying to protect. If you're building pressure because of your filter it is because it is restricting the flow of oil to the motor. And how would restricted oil be able to build so much pressure as seen with Squirtcha's, Boston's, and mine? The oil sending unit, measuring point, is at the opposite end of the filter up on the back of the motor, that which is being protected. Restriction =less oil to fill sender/gauge =lower pressure. If it was restricted it would take quite a while to pick the gauge up to the 80psi that I see within a second of firing up.
[ September 03, 2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: mgar_red ]

Chris J
09-03-2003, 06:15 AM
I stand corrected. If your sender is located after the filter the opossite would be true. Although I still believe that oil flow is more improtant than hi oil pressure.
One of the reason you need to warm your motor up is to allow the oil to warm up so it flows better. The pressure drops as the flow increases unless your pressure relief is bypassing.
Using heavier oil to compensate for a weak oil pump, or excessive bearing clearances won't prolong the motor, at least not for bearings furthest from the pump.

Lookin for Liquid
09-03-2003, 12:19 PM
For what it's worth...Chris J is on the right track, Let volume from the pump create the oil pressure not the heavy duty bypass valve in a stock pump. If you have good volume, you will have good pressure and the volume will not disapate at higher RPM's. Many times you will see the pressure drop in higher RPM's due to the fact that the pump cant keep up with the motor.

XClutchboy725
09-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Squirtcha?:
victorfb:
did you change the filter? and to which brand? i have heard alot of people having problems with FRAM. not sure if the drop in preasure can be caused by a bad filter or not, but some have said they got no preasure at all with the FRAMs. i normally use WIX, b ut have been trying the STP. semms to be working good. A little late here but, I'll toss out my two cents worth of bull. I'm running the Fram HP1 filter and Valvoline 20W-50 full synthetic on my BBF. Oil pressure is 70psi cold and a rock solid 50psi when all warmed up and running hard. The Fram doesn't seem to hurt mine. I have read some of the stuff on Baldwin and Wix and am contemplating a change (even though everything seems o.k.)
The reading I did was pretty compelling and sure seemed to point towards the Fram's not being all they could be. I'm with Squirtcha! I've been running the HP1 Frams for ever with 20w-50 Valvoline and no issues.
I run a BBC though! I don't use fords for anything but ANCHORS! :D
[ September 03, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: XClutchboy725 ]

waterslinger
09-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Fram's are fine as long as you have no condinsation in the motor. Water will burn out of hot oil but on its way if it hits a fram filter it forms a very thick slime on the paper in the filter and will not pass oil. Ran into this on our race car. Towing from canada to florida with a enclosed trailer. Lit off the motor no preasure
well 20 psi. After droping the pan,R&R oil pump and looking for hours. Changed the filter that we
had just installed two days before. A old time racer said change it, we did and wamo 80 psi.
Cut the filter open thick film on paper, who knew

HotHallet
09-08-2003, 03:30 PM
I have a 460 in my boat and run 50 psi at idle cold and 30 after the boat has run a while and oil has thinned out.

Squirtcha?
09-09-2003, 07:27 AM
xclutchboy posted...............
I run a BBC though! I don't use fords for anything but ANCHORS!Alright pal...........it's on for next year. Make sure you've got that Chevy jetted right (this time) for CBBB. Me and my anchor are gonna come lookin for ya.
[ September 09, 2003, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]