PDA

View Full Version : Wear Ring Installation?

miller19j
11-12-2002, 08:17 AM
Wear Ring Installation?
Ok I need help again.
I am trying to install my wear ring and am running into some difficulty. I put the liner in place in the casting and then slid the wear ring in by hand as far as I could (trying my best to keep it square). Then using a small hammer and a block of wood I tapped it in. Well I got it about half way in and the liner started to bunch up. I was able to get it out without damaging it but donÂ’t want to try again until I find out what I am doing wrong.
What am I doing wrong? Are there any tricks to this?
Any help would be appreciated!

pops1
11-12-2002, 08:23 AM
miller19j:
Wear Ring Installation?
Ok I need help again.
What am I doing wrong? Are there any tricks to this?
Any help would be appreciated!Put your wear ring in the freezer for several hours before trying to install it. Your going at it right. Dave

hoolign
11-12-2002, 08:38 AM
doing everything I do,cept i use the old wear ring instead of wood,and as pops said freeze the new one,then put some wd-40 on the liner
you'll get it...Jeff

miller19j
11-12-2002, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys I will try the freezing method. Can you really use WD 40? I thought that you werenÂ’t suppose to use any lubricants on the liner?

hoolign
11-12-2002, 10:16 AM
I've done the wear ring twice on this boat,to lazy to pull it up on the trailer,in the berkley overhaul manual it says to lube the liner in wd-40,so thats what I did, never had a problem.
Jeff

Blown 472
11-12-2002, 10:34 AM
I used a propane torch to heat the housing a little bit and put the ring in the freezer too. :)

miller19j
11-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Thanks Guys,
I think I will try it after being in the freezer and if that doesnÂ’t work try the WD 40.

squirtboat
11-12-2002, 04:30 PM
Another trick I use is shoot the ring with propane it gets it cold in a hury.

hoolign
11-13-2002, 02:37 PM
miller, how did you make out?

miller19j
11-13-2002, 02:44 PM
I was working on my trailer and did not get to it yet. I have to repaint my trailer before I pick my boat back up. So it is the pressing issue right now.
I also forgot to put the ring in the freezer :rolleyes: . I will let you guys know how I do.

spectras only
11-13-2002, 04:58 PM
Miller , I'd like to add to all the good advise above. Normally I use a hydraulic press when the unit is out of the boat [it's the easy way].When the intake is still installed in the boat or on a field ,I make sure that the impeller slides on the shaft easily without the key first.Next, warm the intake with a simple propane torch [home depot or hardware store of your choice :p ],insert the insulator in the intake and push the wear ring in as far as you can with your hand so it will stay on.Slide your impeller on the shaft and "GENTLY" tap it once with a rubber mallett to self align the wear ring in case you had it kilted a bit :) .Now you can drive the wear ring in by tightening the impeller with the nut until you feel it's bottomed out.Next ,you slide the impeller off and use the old wear ring against the new one and tap it around until you feel it's seated all around.Make sure your old wear ring is burr free at the contact with the new one.I recommend this procedure for on the field/in the boat installation only ,for people with some skills.Another note ,while you're at it ,put some antiseize compound on the shaft for easy removal next time wink

miller19j
11-13-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!
That thing fought me for about an hour tonight! After failing a few times I decided to make a piece of tooling that would help press it in. I used a piece of all thread and a few pieces of wood to press it into place. Using the tooling the WD40, Freezer and a Hammer I finally got it in.
After I was done I thought to myself why didnÂ’t you use the press? I guess I had tunnel vision and was not thinking straight. Anyway I got it in.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/wearring.JPG
[ November 13, 2002, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

Duane HTP
11-14-2002, 07:06 PM
With the "Ultimate Wear Ring" that we have the patent on and produce, You don't have to go through all of this because our wear ring is ONE PIECE! Duane HTP

HammerDown
11-14-2002, 07:24 PM
Duane tell us more!

miller19j
11-15-2002, 08:46 AM
Duane HTP:
With the "Ultimate Wear Ring" that we have the patent on and produce, You don't have to go through all of this because our wear ring is ONE PIECE! Duane HTPNow you tell me!

Blown 472
11-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Hey Miller nice pic on the money.
Good Idea on the install tool, now all you need is a big ol wrench for the nut, btw they do make a nylock nut for the imp, just put one on cuz mine backed off.