PDA

View Full Version : CVX 20 Owners?

Striker27
11-04-2002, 02:00 AM
I have a mostly stock CVX 20 with a 460 ford in it except for a mild cam and a 750 Holley carb. I was wondering what type of intake manifold do you run with your boat and a BBF 460? I was looking at running a Weiand Stealth intake on mine with a NOS plate system on it. I was just wondering if the manifold itself would fit with the NOS plate system installed it is only a 1/2 inch plate. I have never actually looked under the hatch to see how much room their was between the arrestor and the hatch. THANX!!!! I think it is 28 degrees here and I am not going to uncover the boat just yet!!!!

quig
11-04-2002, 11:08 AM
I don't know if I can help you or not... but on my 77 I cut out a hole in the engine cover & grafted in a fiberglass cowl induction hood scoop from a 67-69 camaro with a 2" rise ... the lines match up perfectly and unless I told you... it looks stock... but the best part is that I have a Edelbrock performer rpm and a NOS cheater plate with an 850 Holley and a 3" k&n breather all underneath with clearance
here is the hood
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/stern_2.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/z-28_cowl_induction.JPG
here is the engine
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/engine_1.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/engine_2.JPG
if you look close you can see where I cut the hood for the scoop...
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/engine_3.JPG
I hope this helps...
Quig :D :D

Striker27
11-04-2002, 10:18 PM
WOW!!! Does that boat ever look good I was impressed with it the first time you posted pics the interior looks great as well. I cant believe that those pictures are from Nova Scotia isnt it snowing up their by now? From the pics I can t really tell where you cut the hood to add the scoop when you see it all painted it is a great job. What else I would like to know is how does the boat run with that set up? The NOS kit and stuff mostly I noticed that you might have a diverter or something similar on the back as well. My boat is mostly stock with some minor engine work but it would be nice to hear some numbers. Also how did you do such a nice job on the dash I have been contemplateing what to do and do you have any pics?
THANX

quig
11-05-2002, 11:00 AM
here ya go!! :D :D
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Q-jet_dash2.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Q-jet_dash.JPG
waddaya mean snow????????? :p actually where I live on the South shore it almost always rains we get very little snow fall but to answer your question ya... its not boat'n season any more :(
As far as the numbers go I have yet to test the NOS but on the motor with me alone and about 3/4 fuel load it ran 66mph on gps but I was still breakin in the new motor so no "real" speed numbers until next year now !! as far as the pump goes its a12jf berk with the electric jet-o-vator trim option we were able to grind the top of the pump for more roost:D if you want to see more of the Q-jet go to the glastron photo site you can see the complete build of the Q-jet http://groups.msn.com/GlastronCarlsonPhotoSite/quigscvx20inprogress.msnw?Page=1
I think that link should work??? any other questions let me know ....
quig

mbrown2
11-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Quig,
That is one sweet rig; that is the sweetest Glastron I have seen. We had a friend who 20 years ago had a CVX-16 with a 115merc on it, and that was one of the funnest boats I have ridden it. Great looking classic.

Hydro-Thunder
11-06-2002, 01:27 PM
Hey Quiq, Where did you get that windshield? Is it of of a newer glastron or did you make it?
Jesse

1HOTGMCJET
11-06-2002, 01:41 PM
I'm curious on that one too, Quig - NICE looking piece - just came across a CVX 20 jet in a local guy's back yard.......AWWWW CRAP!!! I'm not even done with the FIRST one yet!!! LOL :D

quig
11-06-2002, 03:05 PM
hey guys!!! still raining :mad: but no snow yet :D anyway the windhiels was a custom piece that I built with the help of the local glass shop... we simply took some cardboard and shaped until the boat looked the way I and invisioned it from the start... it took some time but wasn't all that bad... then just transfered the patteren to smoked lexan and there you go... the biggest thing to remember is that to fasten the shield to the bow and have it look right you will have to move the attachment points about 2-3" forward toward the bow in oredr to get the proper "shape" THIS WAS THE HARDEST PART!!! after that it was cake !

pgf127rt
11-07-2002, 02:54 PM
Quig, from a CVX-20 owner, that is a beautiful piece, you need to pull it down to Texas and we can cruise th Brazos river, you and your custom and me in my restored original 1977 model, I have changed the power in mine to a bad ass 468, I had it out the first time with the new motor and it is cruising at 60 with 4 people and a full tank, can't wait to get some time om the engine and see what she's got.

quig
11-08-2002, 05:35 AM
wow pgf !!!! yours should hit the magic 70 mph mark with no problem then !!!!! can you tell me whats in the 468 did you dyno it what pump & impeller my goal was/is 70 and I am a chevy guy... but finding jet boat parts in Nova Scotia is no easy task :D :D so I had to build the furd but the 429 was a good warm over at 431 hp with a B impeller from Agressor I am hopuing to see 70 mph on the bottle next year ... any tips on set up would be a great help !!! and ...Texas this time of year ... MAN I WOULD LOVE TO !!!!!! I have always wanted to go to that great state just because!!!!! now I have another reason!!! :D hope you enjoy your CVX as much as I do !!!
quig.

Erie Baja
11-12-2002, 10:00 AM
Nice pics, I joined this site because of the Force 280 I just acquired. Didn't even think about my CVX-20's that have been ignored since I bought this Basket case in September. Suddenly I've got the urge to put the motors back together and take 1 of them out for a season end blast. Just wish it wasn't so cold. Damn, I need to move.

pgf127rt
11-13-2002, 04:24 PM
quig:
wow pgf !!!! yours should hit the magic 70 mph mark with no problem then !!!!! can you tell me whats in the 468 did you dyno it what pump & impeller my goal was/is 70 and I am a chevy guy... but finding jet boat parts in Nova Scotia is no easy task :D :D so I had to build the furd but the 429 was a good warm over at 431 hp with a B impeller from Agressor I am hopuing to see 70 mph on the bottle next year ... any tips on set up would be a great help !!! and ...Texas this time of year ... MAN I WOULD LOVE TO !!!!!! I have always wanted to go to that great state just because!!!!! now I have another reason!!! :D hope you enjoy your CVX as much as I do !!!
quig.Quig, sorry it took so long to get back to you, I OWE I OWE SO OFF TO WORK I HAVE TO GO, my 468 was built by Garry Snow of Performance Marine in Kopperl, Texas, he can probably tell you better what HP the motor is, but the thing that woke my CVX up when I had the Ford in it was a B cut impeller and a Place Diverter, maybe the Snowman will see this and give the deatils of the motor, as I don't remember what all went in it, except the heads are square port with big stainless valves and some port work, the carb is an annular discharge 850 and the ignition is Comp 9000, Cam, springs lifters , roller rockers are from Comp.
Basically all I know is it flies for a big old boat and is a dream to drive.

quig
11-14-2002, 01:13 PM
very cool PGF!!! can you tell me if your boat had the factory electric trim (12JF) jetovator or was it the 12JE with no trim adjustment the reason I ask is that I am trying to establish if the purchase of the Place Diverter is worth the extra cash (cause I have the jetovator now?) will it make much difference in my boat ... the hardest part of owning a jet boat in Nova Scotia is that there is absolutly no where to go to get help on set up & performance adjustments ... so I have to rely on good folks like yourself for tips and help
anything you can tell me will be a big help next summer :D
quig.

pgf127rt
11-14-2002, 04:03 PM
Quig, mine had no jetovator and it porpoised like flipper, it had an A impeller and no rpm we cut the impeller to a B and installed the place diverter, instantly gained 8 mph and it handled like a dream, however, there was no way a place diverter would fit without some mods to the rear deck, but, with the help of a good fiberglass man and a saw we made room for it and if you didn't know we cut it you would think it came from the factory like that.
[ November 14, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: pgf127rt ]

pgf127rt
11-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Quig, to clarify the mods to the rear, my first diverter was a manual and then they came out with the hydrualic, which would eliminate the cutting of the rear.

quig
11-19-2002, 06:37 PM
so does anybody have experience with the jetovater vs the place diverter on the cvx20 is this upgrade worth the extra cash??? my boat drives perfect ( no porpus ) and has run 66ish MPH I am trying for 70 MPH and am looking at all possibilities for improvement can anybody shed some more light on this for me :D :D

Duane HTP
11-19-2002, 07:11 PM
Go with the place diverter. It seals much better, has a venturied nozzle & has by far more travel.

Tom Brown
11-19-2002, 07:27 PM
Quig,
I have seen your boat before on the photo site but it still blows me away. Beautiful work.
-- Tom

AntRant
11-20-2002, 08:54 AM
I also am a CVX 20 owner and love the lines of this boat. This is my first boat and have had it for almost a year. I blew the 460 (320hp)up on the 4th trip out :( . I put a 465hp from a MarkIII in this fall, but havent been able to test run it. What i want to know is were to adjust the ride plate for a starting point and were to go after that.

quig
11-20-2002, 01:04 PM
thank you Tom!!! I wish you could see the looks I get going down the LaHave River with the roost up :D people just don't know what to think ,mine is the only jet around here besides the sea doo style and they don't throw a roost so its pretty unique and fun ... As always Duane thank-you !! your assistance & knowledge through-out the construction has been invaluable I will call you for costs and suggestions on the Place set up soon
until then I'll have to "bench boat" and wish I was somewhere warmer :p
steve

Duane HTP
11-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Quig, You did one hell of a job on that boat. It sure looks good. Good to see you back on the board. Duane HTP

quig
11-21-2002, 01:01 PM
Thanks again Duane !!! it was a lot of work but worth it :D I want to get it over 70 mph so set up is an issue what about the E,F shoe/rideplate combo you sell is there speed there vs the stock ride plate that is there now ???

Duane HTP
11-21-2002, 07:42 PM
Yes, there is usually a little speed gain there. The E-Shoe has a tendency to help lift the back of the boat out of the water some.
duane HTP

Rayhill
11-24-2002, 05:29 AM
http://communities.msn.com/GlastronCarlsonPhotoSite
Howdy! :D
[ November 24, 2002, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: Rayhill ]

DansBlown73Nordic
11-24-2002, 05:41 AM
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwDdAqkZKjH0gAmRI4mM8LGG*xdHgIZBCOXJVeXrbIPWEuytw !