PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Nujetter
11-04-2002, 06:09 PM
I have been into water sports for years, mostly comp. waterskiing. This winter I am picking up my first jet boat. My question is for race and recreation purposes what type of hull should I look for and or pump, engine, etc...? I have mostly been around inboards (comp ski boats). :confused:

76sanger
11-04-2002, 07:01 PM
well im kinda new also, i have a sanger, and have heard from a few that they made a good hull.... as to jet..... hmmmmm ive heard dominator is good, and if your looking for a complete berkeley jet, there is one on ebay as we speak, i think its at $125. and for the engine question, thats a no brainer
BIG BLOCK CHEVY cuz i dont think ford and dodge make a motor (haha). and you ford and dodge guys please dont take offense at that just havin fun here. and chevy's are by far cheaper to work on i.e. parts!!! :D wink

1tricky1
11-04-2002, 07:05 PM
If your looking for speed, a tunnel hull is the way to go. A tunnel will be about 7-10mph faster with same horsepower and drive unit as a v-bottom type hull. It seems with tunnels you usually sacrafice some interior room though. There are still a bunch of very cool v-bottom hulls that haul ass. There are several here on these boards.
You can't go wrong with a Berkeley or a Dominator. American Turbine and Agressor are also popular pumps. As for engine preference, it's gotta be a big block Ford or Chevy. Oldsmobile parts are expensive and they are known to have some oiling issues. Good luck in your venture. Here's a picture of my ride.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/boat_lf_rear.JPG :D

Nubbs
11-04-2002, 09:46 PM
I bought an 18.5' Nordic bubbledeck in June. It's got a Dominator pump and a BBC engine. I'm very happy with the whole package. It pulls skiers with no problems. It goes fast enough to satisfy me. The only things I don't like are it only seats 5 people and only holds 20 gallons of gas. The gas tanks are changeable, but the seating is not.
Good Luck

rivercrazy
11-04-2002, 09:54 PM
It just depends on what your goals are. Do you want a large enough boat for the family? How fast do you want to go? Do you run in rough water? How flat of a wake do you want for skiing?
A good all around boat is a 21 daycruiser style hull.
As for jets, I would stay with Dominator, American Turbine, or Legend. IMHO they are the best pumps.
Try to get a motor with forged parts thoughout and as big on the cubic inches as possible.

canuck1
11-05-2002, 12:11 AM
buy an aluminum hull

NorCal Gameshow
11-05-2002, 01:05 AM
a spectra would be a good choice, with a jet the 20' would be the longest i'd go, unless you want to put mucho dinero in the engine.happy hunting you're looking at the right time of year.

diggler
11-05-2002, 07:31 AM
I have a v-hull with an Olds 455. No problems with the engine after I knew how to take care of its unique oil issues. TONS of room inside also. The only problem I have with it is that it get VERY, VERY, squirrely over 70mph. I believe a place diverter will solve that problem though.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/1PF_at_Lost_Isle_2.JPG

Liberator TJ1984
11-05-2002, 07:48 AM
Hey Diggler ..how's it hangin'....what oil issues did you have ??? Dave didn't have oil problems that I knew of ...and that is a Stout Olds' motor in that boat ! that's why it runs so good..I think dave tried a diverter on there...worked to a certian point ,but I remember him saying it was porpoiseing real bad ..Next time I see him I'll ask and let you know what was up ....
Gopherrrrr......... :D

diggler
11-05-2002, 02:18 PM
Liberator TJ1984:
Hey Diggler ..how's it hangin'....what oil issues did you have ??? Dave didn't have oil problems that I knew of ...and that is a Stout Olds' motor in that boat ! that's why it runs so good..I think dave tried a diverter on there...worked to a certian point ,but I remember him saying it was porpoiseing real bad ..Next time I see him I'll ask and let you know what was up ....
Gopherrrrr......... :D Just low oil pressure after it heats up. I only pull about 30psi at high rpms. I believe an oil cooler and roller rockers should resolve this.
I've actually been up over 75mph a couple of times, but it gets very dangerous at that speed. Can you ask Dave how effective a diverter was for me? Would a jetovator be any better?

Nujetter
11-05-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks for all of the advice so far, I will get more specific on my needs (and wants :D ). The water I will be running on should be fairly smooth,like the Illinois river and would like to try my hand at racing at the chain o lakes (Blarnys island). I dont have a huge buget right now but could build it up as I go. Trying to keep it around $5000 or under for starters. Most of what I have seen so far is either a BB Olds or Ford. But I have heard of different problems from both as far as build ups are concerned. Like most of us into these boats I want as much speed as I can get eek! As for room, seating for 5 would be good. Also if anyone has or knows of something for sale with what Im looking for please let me know. Once again I realize to get what I want I will prob. have to make some changes which would be part of the fun.

diggler
11-05-2002, 08:19 PM
NuJetter, just a thought when you purchase your boat. Make sure you get over the transom headers. That way when you tear it up on Lake Lansing, even the students at MSU will be able to hear you!
Go State! (even though Bobby Williams needs to go!)

BK
11-06-2002, 09:23 AM
If I had the money and wanted to go fast I would start by buying a tunnel. Not sure if its still for sale but this boat was listed on here a couple of weeks ago and seems like a good deal. This is just to give you an idea of what to look for in a good all arround boat that you wont have to throw a huge amount of money at to go fast, heres the link with some good info and a couple of others for sale also. Good luck :)
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001239

HavasuDreamin'
11-06-2002, 09:38 AM
NuJetter..........I lived in Lansing for a couple of years........small world!
You have a delimma as I see it. For $5,000 you can have your choice of clean V-Bottom Jet Boats if you are willing to travel to pick it up. Challenger, Sanger, Southwind, Hondo, Etc....the list goes on forever! However, most of these boats will be lucky to see 65mph or 70mph (for $5,000).
If you really want to go fast, and/or race at Blarney's, you will need to be running faster than 65 or 70. The best way to accomodate this is with a tunnel as there is about a 10mph difference compared to a V-Bottom. A "complete" tunnel in decent shape is going to set you back a minimum of $8,500, but probably more like $10K or $12K.
If your priorities are going fast, wait till you have some more $$$$ and buy a complete tunnel boat. It is ALWAYS cheaper to buy a boat complete than to buy one thinking you are going to build it up. It is also cheaper to make a tunnel go faster than a V. I believe your best bet will be a late 70's or early 80's 19' Eliminator Daytona. You should be able to find one in good condition with a low hour motor for $10K - $12K. Good Luck!

Nujetter
11-07-2002, 02:03 PM
Once again thanks far the advice so far from all. It seems I should concintrate on finding a tunnel. Does that mean a V wouldnt be good at all for good speed even with a good motor and pump set up? I know alot of questions but I want to make a good choice. Remember Im new to jets and used to not alot of top (50mph) but stump pulling torqe of my old Supra.

diggler
11-07-2002, 02:10 PM
Nujetter:
Once again thanks far the advice so far from all. It seems I should concintrate on finding a tunnel. Does that mean a V wouldnt be good at all for good speed even with a good motor and pump set up? I know alot of questions but I want to make a good choice. Remember Im new to jets and used to not alot of top (50mph) but stump pulling torqe of my old Supra.I have a V that will do well over 70mph as noted above. However, if I had a choice, I would go with a tunnel. After putting in all the restoration on my boat, and then actually communicating with the son of the guy that actually rigged my boat in 1972, I'd never give mine up. Here's a picture of mine underway where I was probably doing about 65mph. (Had a cool kid in the front seat screaming for more speed).
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/diggler3.JPG