View Full Version : Relief Valve

mgar_red
08-04-2003, 12:04 AM
Wanted to ask if a relief valve for the cooling line was a big necessity?
I've seen the one offered on Hi-Techs site, and didn't know if it was a restrictor ( regulator ) or had a bleed off ( bypass ) line. I've seen industrial regulators at a lower cost than theirs. The Berkeley E I'm running into a 460 never has had any cooling flow leaks, nor with previous owner's 19yrs of usage either.
mgar

Moomawnster
08-04-2003, 01:14 AM
I think those are for the big power guys who need the water in the bowl sooner ..... it lets out the air so the bowl can fill quicker ? In any case you obviously don't need one after 19 yrs :D

sidewound
08-04-2003, 03:20 AM
I think your talking about the pressure regulator not the prime-a-jet. It's adjustable and has an overboard dump line. It's a little more expensive but Duane has assembled all the pieces of the system in one package.
Mine never had one for 30 years but with the cost of my new motor I thought it was just good insurance. I don't need a milkshake in the crankcase.
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

Moomawnster
08-04-2003, 03:49 AM
Yeah , what he said ! :D I may have to put a gauge on my system and see what it's putting up with !

Brendella
08-05-2003, 06:37 AM
ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO THE RELIEF FROM HI-TECH COULD NOT FIND IT.
THANKS IN ADVANCE.
BRIAN

mgar_red
08-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys, I was just curious if others had not had problems by not having one either.
I'm not clear why a dump line would be needed when the supply for the cooling is only a tap on the side of the pump discharge. The line will only take on as much water as it needs, or is allowed to have, as with a regulator. The rest is on its original flow path out the nozzle.
Brendella, go about two thirds down the page at http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM
It will have a red text header of "Water in your Oil?"
mgar

HammerDown
08-05-2003, 09:11 AM
No pressure valve here...However I run 2 dumps off the block and out the back. Pressure guage at Intake Manifold, at 5200 rpm's about 10 psi...and thats with a ball valve at pump 3/4 or better wide open.
Never got a reading if the pump spiked (unloaded)...but I can't belive it would be much more.