PDA

View Full Version : I got it out!

BrendellaJet
02-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Yeee haaa. After a few failed attempts, I got my intake out. Thought I would pass on what I learned. Trying to remove the intake with out the weight of the engine in the boat is not easy, although, it may well be impossible to do with the engine in the boat- but you could probably break it loose with it in there, pull the motor, and then finish with the intake. Any how, I tried strapping the boat to the trailer and using the hydraulic jack-no luck. That lifted the back wheels right off the ground. Back to the drawing board. Took a piece of 4x6 and laid it perpendicularly across the stringers, directly above where I was trying to jack the intake up from underneath. Then, I cut a piece of 2x6 to wedge between the 4x6 and a very large overhead support in the garage-this was to hold the boat down. It was out in minutes after I started lifting with the jack. The sound was not pretty, but it did very little damage-mostly cosmetic. I definitely recommend this method. It worked well.

Omega21
02-26-2003, 11:39 AM
not that I've done it before, but wouldn't it be possible to simply lay a 4x6 accross the back of the boat, hook a come-along to it & pull the intake up?
Just curious
Todd

BrendellaJet
02-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Omega21:
not that I've done it before, but wouldn't it be possible to simply lay a 4x6 accross the back of the boat, hook a come-along to it & pull the intake up?
Just curious
Todd not sure I follow, seems like you wouldn't have enought leverage. I never thought it could be as tight as it was. Whateve was used to install it did not want to let go.

1Bahnerjet
02-28-2003, 07:45 AM
BrendellaJet:
Omega21:
Just curious
Todd not sure I follow, seems like you wouldn't have enought leverage. I never thought it could be as tight as it was. Whateve was used to install it did not want to let go. What is it that they use to install it anyway, some kind of glue?,What are you using? :confused:
----------------
Drive what you own and like what you Drive

SSTSleakcraft
03-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Brand name most popular is SeaGoin epoxy, or something close to that..sp?

HammerDown
03-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Sea Going Poxy Putty(HD) is the way to go...that stuffs like Iron when it cures....Make sure all surfaces are clean and dry...and take the extra time to make sure your Intake is setup (true) before ya mix the Epoxy up. I used a string line on the underside center Keel to make sure my Intake wasent to high or low...also mark the center line of the Keel and Intake so its dead center. Some where in the Media Center is a bunch of pics I posted when I did my pump setback last winter...theres a good one that shows how to make sure the intake isnt cocked in the Hull. And just remember to take all your measurements from the under side of the boat...because nothing inside the boat is very true.

BrendellaJet
03-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Hammerdown, any way you could post those pics again? I cant find them in the media center.