PDA

View Full Version : 455 olds question

dgie
07-03-2003, 08:25 PM
I pulled my rockers, push rods, and lifters. I will be getting my new restricted push rods from Smith Bros. and my cam and lifters from Claysmith on wed or thurs next week. My question is this I was reading thru a Hanes manual I have on the Olds 455 and it said to keep the lifters, rockers and pushrods in order. It is my understanding that you only need to keep the lifters in order because they are worn in to the specific lobe at that specific position. Is it necessary to keep the other stuff in order? Also when I put the new cam in does everyone else use assembly lube when putting it in, and yes I am going to degree the cam.

King Kuracz
07-03-2003, 09:17 PM
I use GM E.O.S. (engine oil supplement from any GM dealer) on the cam lobes.
You should keep the rockers on the same side of the same stands they came off of due to matching wear patterns, and if you aren't doing anything to the valve stem tips you should keep the rockers on the valves they came off of, same reason.

dgie
07-03-2003, 09:22 PM
well I put them all in a bag, Does that mean I need to buy new ones? and if so why?

malcolm
07-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Just how big a cam are you going to run? You may run into problems trying to use the old valvetrain with a lift over .500" weather you kept them all in order or not.

dgie
07-03-2003, 10:04 PM
I ordered it thru cp performance. I told them I do not want anything that is performance, they said it will be mild and Just for what I have. My biggest question is on the rocker arms I thew them all in a bag, damn. Well live, learn and spend more money. Do I need to change the rocker and the bridge or just the rocker?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-03-2003, 10:08 PM
If you put them into a bag then thrash them. If your going to install a new cam them you need new lifters(extra insurance). It doesnt matter where you put them if they are new. You also need to do a cam breakin again to avoid flattened lobes.Trust me I just did this wink I am also going to agree with king. Add the Gm E.O.S! That stuff is the best(any gm dealer has it)! Use it with lots of cam lube! You can never be too sure. Also make sure you prime the oil pump first and you are ready. Good luck and let us know the results wink wink

dgie
07-03-2003, 10:13 PM
would I replace the rocker arms only or the rocker and the bridge that connect the rockers to include the bolts.

malcolm
07-03-2003, 10:47 PM
I always look at the part of the bridge that the rocker arm rubs on. Look for the wear lines, if they are more than just visable they will hang up with a cam of different lift. You could try maybe hitting them with some 320 grit and lube them up good with assembly lube, but they should probably be replaced.

dgie
07-03-2003, 11:12 PM
I assume I can get them from an autoparts place, any idea on how much a set goes for?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-03-2003, 11:31 PM
They are dirt cheap. Autozone sells them for (i think) $2.99 each or something like that. The bridges are like $4.99 each. Go to www.autozone.com (http://www.autozone.com) and search for them. Look them up under a 76 olds w/ 455. All of our prices and parts are on line!

dgie
07-03-2003, 11:41 PM
great, thanks guys. I would change my screen name to moneypit but its taken,,,,yet so appropriate for my boat. I think I should have bought a house instead. This boat is a lot of fun though when running. My problem is I like to be thourough and have everything running right even when it costs.