PDA

View Full Version : How Ghetto is Yo' Setup?

cyclone
06-30-2003, 01:17 PM
I made a scoop stabilizer at the river out of 16 gauge sheetmetal with a pair of tin snips. Did i make a nicer one when i got home and had the boat at the shop? of course not. the ghetto part was still working so its still on the boat. lol
my trailer launches bearing buddies at passing cars every time i drive to the river.
whatchya got on that?

hboldno7
06-30-2003, 01:30 PM
i heard a story about someone going out to test a new boat forgot to bring a plug along and just used what he had in the truck, a shotgun shell and a rag. The story gets worse. Customer comes in to check out the Boat and is like why the hell is a rag hangin out of the drain Hole. Rigger doesnt know what the hell is in there and try's to force it thru with a punch. Boom, drain hole got a little bigger.

HBjet
06-30-2003, 01:34 PM
hboldno7:
i heard a story about someone going out to test a new boat forgot to bring a plug along and just used what he had in the truck, a shotgun shell and a rag. The story gets worse. Customer comes in to check out the Boat and is like why the hell is a rag hangin out of the drain Hole. Rigger doesnt know what the hell is in there and try's to force it thru with a punch. Boom, drain hole got a little bigger. That's F'ing funny!
HBjet

Hustler
06-30-2003, 01:35 PM
HBjet:
hboldno7:
i heard a story about someone going out to test a new boat forgot to bring a plug along and just used what he had in the truck, a shotgun shell and a rag. The story gets worse. Customer comes in to check out the Boat and is like why the hell is a rag hangin out of the drain Hole. Rigger doesnt know what the hell is in there and try's to force it thru with a punch. Boom, drain hole got a little bigger. That's F'ing funny!
HBjet I bet the rigger did'nt think so eek!

cyclone
06-30-2003, 01:44 PM
wow eek!

miller19j
06-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Must have been one hell of a shell for the primer and powder to work after it had been submerged in water for a while. :rolleyes:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Must have been one hell of a shell for the primer and powder to work after it had been submerged in water for a while.
that's what I was thinking. especially since you use water to neutralize gun powder.
Omega

Heatseeker
06-30-2003, 02:14 PM
I can relate to the bearing buddy launchings. Did two of them last season. One, I'm not sure where it went, but I saw the other go by me out of the corner of my eye, along with the hub cap!!! You should've seen me in the farmer's field looking for that stupid thing! I finally gave up...

hboldno7
06-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Like I said," I Heard a Story .............." anyways
Been Duck Hunting since I was a lil kid and have dusted plenty of birds with soaking wet shells. The wad seals the powder quite well.

miller19j
06-30-2003, 02:18 PM
hboldno7:
Been Duck Hunting since I was a lil kid and have dusted plenty of birds with soaking wet shells. The wad seals the powder quite well. You know stranger things have happened so it could be true.
I have been duck hunting in the rain many times and heard the “Click” and watched the ducks fly away that is why it surprised me.

Eric455
06-30-2003, 05:57 PM
i work for a cable company for a living. i use to own a 21' omega i striped the whole thing out to restore the boat. the motor was a 455olds. we got it running at my house and i wanted to takeit out to the lake sunday morning, but i had no seats. it had gauges and stearing cabability. so i went to my truck and grabed 4 empty cable spools made out of wood and bolted them down on the floor of the boat. funny ass shit man you guys should of seen this boat. well sunday morning it is and we pul up to pay and launch. and the ladie starts laughing her ass off. she she says "you know thats not accepted on the water" i say come on, i just bought the boat and wanna see if the motor works or not. and after begging she then lets us in. and says i'm only letting you beacause this is to funny. :D we got to drive the boat and found out that the motor was f'd up. it wass gettooo as hell, but i found out that the motor needed to be yanked out.
eric
[ June 30, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Eric455 ]

Taylorman
06-30-2003, 06:00 PM
hboldno7:
Been Duck Hunting since I was a lil kid and have dusted plenty of birds with soaking wet shells. The wad seals the powder quite well. You guys duck hunt in Hunington beach, ca?

Taylorman
06-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Eric455:
and after begging she then lets us in.
eric What do you mean she let you in. They actually can refuse to let you have access to the waters in Ca. Thats messed up.

Eric455
06-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Taylorman:
Eric455:
and after begging she then lets us in.
eric What do you mean she let you in. They actually can refuse to let you have access to the waters in Ca. Thats messed up. yea she let us in. but remember it was a sundaymorning of december. cold as alaska but she let us in. no patrol of any kind so we were lucky.
eric

Danhercules
06-30-2003, 07:43 PM
I have seen a guy with sandrail seats. :rolleyes: His boat did haul ass!!! eek!
I was looking for the 5pt harness! :p

DUCKY
06-30-2003, 09:26 PM
Danhercules:
I have seen a guy with sandrail seats. :rolleyes: His boat did haul ass!!! eek!
I was looking for the 5pt harness! :p I had high back buggy seats in my last outboard. They were really comfy, too. Mine was the white Laser http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/776Barlett_lake_***boats_2-med.jpg on the right.

Squirtcha?
06-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Homemade Nitrous bottle mount, nitrous solenoid mounts, nitrous fuel tank mount, nitrous fuel pump and regulator mount, coil mount, remote oil filter mount, water valve mount, throttle extension, seat rails/mounts, Battery tray and holddown, alternator mount/adjuster. There's more but I honestly can't remember all of em and I'm too lazy to go look. Butt tons of homemade piecesparts.
They aint pretty..........they aint polished, but they are functional and durable as hell.
[ June 30, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Cs19
06-30-2003, 09:46 PM
i want to see some pics of the bird nest wiring jobs you guys were talking about a while back. :)

Jet City
06-30-2003, 09:47 PM
I've got a shortened spray paint cap for a horn button.

Omega21
06-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Hey Eric-
Check out the daycruiser..some $5 Kmart lawn chairs & 8 drywall screws!! I like to think of it as 'test' seating.
http://users.adelphia.net/~tkohse/tahitiomega.JPG
Todd
[ July 01, 2003, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Omega21 ]

LVjetboy
06-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Not sure if that's true ghetto, but a trailer court in Pahrump, Nevada comes to mind...
:)

LVjetboy
07-01-2003, 12:02 AM
Ok, my first jet and I made a playboy bunny shifter knob outta white and black resin. Looked pretty good so I thought, what the heck, I'll add some headers too.
Then I had problems with water injectors, so who needs cooling? Just cut the water. That worked until I was racing this dude and my favorite jacket blew on the headers then caught on fire. We were trailing smoke AND loosing the race :(
So my wife grabs the jacket and throws it overboard. We duck into a cove hoping nobody saw us looking like idiots. I figure, no problem, I'll just wrap those suckers in header tape. Next time out cool, but headers keep getting lower and lower until they're touching the transom. Hmmm...
Ghetto riggin' gone bad.
jer
[ July 01, 2003, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

Eric455
07-01-2003, 06:21 AM
Omega21:
Hey Eric-
Check out the daycruiser..some $5 Kmart lawn chairs & 8 drywall screws!! I like to think of it as 'test' seating.
http://users.adelphia.net/~tkohse/tahitiomega.JPG
Todd hehehe. man thats too funny. i had the same boat. hey is the litte boat a eliminator hull? sure looks like on.

hboldno7
07-01-2003, 06:45 AM
Taylorman:
hboldno7:
Been Duck Hunting since I was a lil kid and have dusted plenty of birds with soaking wet shells. The wad seals the powder quite well. You guys duck hunt in Hunington beach, ca? no Taylor we dont Hunt in HB but out here in california we are able to travel and stuff. :D

76 Sleekcraft
07-01-2003, 06:47 AM
Jet City Rebel:
I've got a shortened spray paint cap for a horn button. I have one of those too on my SleekCraft! :o

cyclone
07-01-2003, 07:50 AM
i like to think of myself as an "enthusiast" when it domes to ghetto fabulous rigging techniques and so far i think we've got a tie for most ghetto between Jet City Rebel with his spray paint cap horn button and LVjetboy's playboy bunny shift know. Pictures guys, pictures! We can't go on handing out awards without evidence. I'm still waiting for someone else to step up an steal your thunder with a picture of some milk crate seating.....

JayBee
07-01-2003, 08:27 AM
How about jetovator control system built out of used Ford mustang
convertible top hydraulics?? We won't mention that the steering link is a
master cylinder pushrod yoke...
http://webpages.charter.net/jlbarnes/boat/berkeley640.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/jlbarnes/boat/toppump640.jpg

cyclone
07-01-2003, 08:30 AM
A new leader has emerged! i especially dig how the hydraulic pump is just sitting atop the hand hole cover on the pump. nice work!

hboldno7
07-01-2003, 08:32 AM
JayBee:
How about jetovator control system built out of used Ford mustang
convertible top hydraulics?? We won't mention that the steering link is a
master cylinder pushrod yoke...
http://webpages.charter.net/jlbarnes/boat/berkeley640.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/jlbarnes/boat/toppump640.jpg Wow, I love this thread. That is some Craftsmanship and handy work at its finest. Does it work good?

JayBee
07-01-2003, 09:04 AM
Ok, gotta redeem myself just a little! Those pics were taken Sunday evening - yesterday I got the mount for the pump made and installed:
http://webpages.charter.net/jlbarnes/boat/pumpmounted.jpg
The pump works great! It takes about 2.5 seconds to go from full up to full down, and is very easy to fine adjust... Plus, there is enough power there to break the nozzle if it decides to not move!
Jason
PS - do NOT look at the wire I used on it, though...

hboldno7
07-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Looks good JB, how does it like all the water though?

cyclone
07-01-2003, 09:36 AM
hey are those 1/2-inch sockets you've got for spacers beneath the pump? :D

hboldno7
07-01-2003, 09:39 AM
cyclone:
hey are those 1/2-inch sockets you've got for spacers beneath the pump? :D Good eye, I think they might be. :D :D

LVjetboy
07-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Ghetto headers...
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/GhettoHeaders.gif
Sweet huh? And my playboy shifter...
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/GhettoNob.gif
Ya baby! Fake leather dash too :)
jer
[ July 01, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

cyclone
07-01-2003, 09:55 AM
oh my god that is straight out of '82. Lovin' the dash LV and that shifter is the bomb! LV has pulled into the lead in ghetto fabulous fashion...

HotHallet
07-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Hey Omega-Is the small boat a Hallett Bubble deck. It sure looks like one? I have a '77 Hallett!

Sangster
07-01-2003, 11:54 AM
Two years ago, at CFW on New Years Day there was a guy in a Flatbottom that had Bamboo Barstool style seats screwed to a piece of plywood that was screwed to the stringers..Now that's Hoakie..I think I got Pics of it somewhere... :rolleyes:

cyclone
07-01-2003, 12:10 PM
definately post the pics sangster... i've got to see those seats.

wrightnow
07-01-2003, 12:13 PM
Come-on Big Proppa and post some of your pictures, being in the 909 I know you have something for us...

Jet City
07-01-2003, 12:18 PM
I'd be happy to send somebody my paint cap horn button pics for posting. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

SB
07-01-2003, 12:30 PM
At times I've had a garden hose type water faucet on my intake, a homemade oil cooler with copper tubing, taped up ski tow, seat bases made of aluminum fascia material, jet bracket part made of pounded out muffler clamp. One day we had no shifter on the jet working, then chained up an axle on the way home.

Squirtcha?
07-01-2003, 04:04 PM
cyclone:
oh my god that is straight out of '82. Lovin' the dash LV and that shifter is the bomb! LV has pulled into the lead in ghetto fabulous fashion... Man times have changed eh LV? Compared to the sano ride you have now that's quite a change.
Funny thing is..........my shifter is the same with exception of the classic bunny. No immitation genuine simulated leather dash on it though. The header tape is an original touch too.

ONAROLL
07-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Had to replace the old chrome wheels and baby moons with some shiny aluminum wheels on my trailer, problem was the lug studs were not long enough, so after a quick trip to the hardware store I snatched up 20 grade 8 bolts to do the job, hauling ass to Lake Tenkiller, the ghetto trailer gave up the left front tire and wheel, was it clear you ask, no, the New tournament bass boat stopped the forward motion as the tire and wheel hit the starboard side of his boat and then bashed the hell out of his outboard engine cover, nice guy, bad idea.........Vic

LVjetboy
07-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Man times have changed eh LV? Ya. Funny how you look back and wonder, why so cheezy? Didn't even mention the Pioneer car speakers falling out every time we hit a wake. Or the dozens of Krylon spray cans. But we had the best of times in that Beis. We could load her down with camping gear and no worries about freeboard or dock dings...just pure fun on the lake. Beach it? No problem. In the end I gave it away...still miss that shifter knob tho :) Hand carved the bunny with my dremel you know.
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/GhettoGarage.gif
Garage door seems to fit right in :) Can't take credit for painting that tho.
Times change. There was a certain secure feel and friendliness of that old hull. Handled rough water and turned like a dream. My ex cried when we dumped her (the boat that is) for the new PC. But, all said and done...for me, the need for thrill and speed takes over.
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/GhettoBlaster.gif
jer
[ July 02, 2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

cyclone
07-02-2003, 07:51 AM
you know now and again there are moments when i miss my old boat when it was bone stock. started up every time, nice and quiet so as to not attract attention from 5-0. I spent more time drinking beer and waterskiing than wrenching on the boat. My how things have changed!