PDA

View Full Version : Molding Question?

1Bahnerjet
01-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Its time to replace the 5/8" molding on my 23 year old jet boat. it does't look like its to big of a job, but the molding itself ( from cp performance ) is $200.00, so I think I should ask if anyone has done this before? Did you fill in the old holes (and with what ) how did you bend the molding around the bow, how long did it take you to do the job and was it fun? Thanks for any Help

gmnhra
01-24-2003, 09:22 AM
replacing the rub rail is pretty easy...$200 sounds a bit pricey for the materials for an 18 foot boat..i just bought 80 feet to do my 25 daytona at $1.25/foot from eliminator shop...
TACO metals has a website that shows the hundreds of different styles available...there is another web site that sells the taco stuff online but i can't find the link.....also try boatus.com
the rigid vinyl rub rail is bent using a heat gun...no need to fill the old holes...
about a two hour job...

caution 2
01-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Fill the old holes with silicone and make new holes, if your are using the aluminium rail use a rubber malett, spray with wd-40 the insert will go in easier, Jim Brock

TripleThreat
01-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Ok. I'll chime in here with a question. I want to just use a nice stainless steel rub strip on the sides and end them with strakes. Can I fill the gap between the top and bottom of the hull on the rear of the boat and paint it? Let me know if I need to explain better. I am at work... you know how it goes. :]

Mohavekid
01-24-2003, 06:09 PM
1BJ, I did it a few years ago on my 18 foot Challenger. Not too hard.
It was most of a day to fill the old hols and put the new one on. I used small stainless screws instead of pop rivits, rivits made bumps under the rubber insert. The screws worked well for all except the very front of the bow where I could'nt reach. The rub rail was very small, no more than 1/2" wide.
Around the bow peak, just take it nice and slow using a rubber mallet to form the rail to the contour of the hull. WD-40 works well to help slide in the rubber insert.
Good luck on your project.

DUCKY
01-24-2003, 06:19 PM
TripleThreat:
Ok. I'll chime in here with a question. I want to just use a nice stainless steel rub strip on the sides and end them with strakes. Can I fill the gap between the top and bottom of the hull on the rear of the boat and paint it? Let me know if I need to explain better. I am at work... you know how it goes. :] You are talking about a partial cap job. It is not tough. Check out www.havasubarney.com (http://www.havasubarney.com) for advice, or a quote on having it done.

1Bahnerjet
01-24-2003, 06:59 PM
What did you use to seal the holes with? What I would really like Is to cap the hull It looks custom, But I've had the mis-fortune of working with fiberglass and resin before and its something best left to the experts.

Jake W
01-24-2003, 07:13 PM
One thing I would add is PUT the RUBBER incert in the alum befor you bend it with the rubber mallet.Just cut a one foot peice and use it on all of the corners.For us guys that dont live close to the Elimanator factory rub rail is very expensive to get shipped it has to come on an over night eighteen wheeler.Can you say 100$ for shipping please.But it is really easy to put on.Jake

Mohavekid
01-25-2003, 09:47 AM
I just used silicone to fill the old holes, I also put a little silicone onto the new holes as I put in the screws.
The holes are so small I doubt much water could leak in, but when your boat has 6 inches of freeboard, you do all you can.
Good luck

1Bahnerjet
01-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Silcone sealant O.K. the reason I ask is those holes are right where the hull and deck are resined together, bahners in general and this one for sure are laid up light (they use full length stringers for strength ) I don't want to drill any more holes in that area without sealing the old holes with something stronger than silcone (epoxy ? ) what else could i use ? :confused:

Jake W
01-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Your Bahner will be fine, just silicone the holes and drill new ones.Is it a light lay up does it have 1 by 6 inch stringers in it if not it probely is comperable to most other layups of the time.If you are that worried about it you could Cap it, but then you are talking about new paint or jell coat.Jake

1Bahnerjet
01-25-2003, 04:18 PM
O.K. Silcone its is THANKS wink

1Bahnerjet
01-26-2003, 09:57 AM
1Bahnerjet:
O.K. Silcone its is THANKS wink AVATAR

GlastronGuy
01-26-2003, 10:01 AM
I got my material from West Marine.

1Bahnerjet
01-26-2003, 10:13 AM
I know they have it too, CP Perf. has it in black anodized alum. it would match my blk. sides, but did west marine have the 5/8" size? I didn't see it in catalog?