PDA

View Full Version : Porpoising Info

AZKC
05-15-2003, 11:57 AM
How ever the hell ya spell it. Here's the boat info for those who don't know.
20ft Hawaiian Openbow, 454, PantherJet with adjustable ride plate, Jet is new.
It jumps on plane very quick, settles down a bit but if you stay in it, all hell breaks loose. At about 3000rpm cruise it has a gentle roll to it. But under acceleration it gets very bad. I have used longer than stock struts on the ride plate to plow the bow and that help's some and I've went the other way with it all the up(and everything in between) and the boat wants to really go. But ya better hang on it feels like your riding in 2-3ft swells.
What I'm looking for is what causes it? And a few different fixes other than a diverter. It has had this problem for a while(years) it seems to be a little worse with the more HP and the reman pump.
KC

beached 1
05-15-2003, 01:57 PM
How straight is the bottom of your hull? That would be the first place I'd look.

Old Guy
05-15-2003, 04:26 PM
There is some very interesting concept information here. FYI
http://arneson-industries.com/Arneson%20Rocker%20Plates.htm

AZKC
05-15-2003, 05:41 PM
Old Guy, did you work for Hawaiian at one time? Or am I thinking of another board member. The info on what causes it is interesting. I'm even thinking of moving the engine forward some to see if it helps.
KC

1HOTGMCJET
05-15-2003, 06:37 PM
AZKC, you're thinking of "Old Rigger" - he's the guy who has all of that GREAT old boat info - I know he doesn't post here much, but if you post up a "Paging Old Rigger" thread, I'm sure he'll gladly reply....Good Luck! :)
[ May 15, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: 1HOTGMCJET ]

Cas
05-15-2003, 10:35 PM
KC,
I think you need to check the hook in the bottom of your hull. You would be surprised with the ride after it's removed.

HOOTER SLED-
05-16-2003, 07:05 AM
AZKC,
I had the same problem as you. Just got my boat last Aug. Porpoised like a mother sometimes. I have a similar set-up as you. 20.5' Pantera w/ 454 BBC and Panther drive. I sent mine out to Panther to have the Jet-o-vator installed. I will be testing it out on Sunday (5/18) for the first time. Should make a difference. All I know is that when I put a diverter on my other boat, it was well worth the $$$. The ass in this boat is so much heavier. It just needs to get out of the damn water. I noticed when I had people in the bow seats it was better too. Good luck man.
HOOTER

AZKC
05-16-2003, 09:49 AM
Kewl let me know how it goes, if ya would.
KC