PDA

View Full Version : Carb rebuild or new?

gotdamp
08-05-2002, 11:43 AM
I have a Holley 650 cfm 4-barrel on my 1981 Ford 460 jet that needs a rebuild. I am getting prices near $300 for a rebuild of this carb. I have never worked on carbs before and rebuilding it myself is not a good option. Should I just buy a new Holley ($400-450). What problems with installation, setup or tuning might I have with a new Carb? Is it worth going to a 750 cfm or will I have jetting issues. Any help would be much appreciated.

diggler
08-05-2002, 11:46 AM
gotdamp:
I have a Holley 650 cfm 4-barrel on my 1981 Ford 460 jet that needs a rebuild. I am getting prices near $300 for a rebuild of this carb. I have never worked on carbs before and rebuilding it myself is not a good option. Should I just buy a new Holley ($400-450). What problems with installation, setup or tuning might I have with a new Carb? Is it worth going to a 750 cfm or will I have jetting issues. Any help would be much appreciated.I had the exact same problem with my 650cfm carb. I paid $35.00 or so for the rebuild kit from Summit Racing and bought a book on rebuilding Holley carbs. Well, I ended up screwing everything up as I had a lot more problems than a blown power valve and new gaskets.
I said to hell with it and bought a new 750cfm carb and I'm expecting great things out of it once I finish rebuilding the engine.
I

Liberator TJ1984
08-05-2002, 11:53 AM
Look up Summit or Jegs ,they should have a selection of New Holley's in there for what the kit will cost ....... :D

rivercrazy
08-05-2002, 12:08 PM
A 650 is a little small for a 460 or any big block for that matter. I'd upgrade to at least a 750cfm or an 800cfm. The Holley 9022 marine carb is a good one. Its a doublepumper with mechanical secondaries.

gotdamp
08-05-2002, 12:34 PM
I just talked to Superior Carburetors in Phoenix, Az and they quoted $175 to rebuilt and ship back to me. That doesn't seem too bad. Anybody heard of these guys?

gotdamp
08-05-2002, 12:37 PM
gotdamp:
I just talked to Superior Carburetors in Phoenix, Az and they quoted $175 to rebuilt and ship back to me. That doesn't seem too bad. Anybody heard of these guys?Also called A-1 Carburators and/or Charlie Jones Carburetors.

gotdamp
08-05-2002, 01:00 PM
rivercrazy:
A 650 is a little small for a 460 or any big block for that matter. I'd upgrade to at least a 750cfm or an 800cfm. The Holley 9022 marine carb is a good one. Its a doublepumper with mechanical secondaries.How hard is it to set up a new 750 right out of the box?. I have vacuum secondaries and would probably add an electric choke. What issues might have to be addressed with the bigger carb to get it tuned with my boat (23.5ft Glastron/Carlson day cruiser.)

gotdamp
08-05-2002, 01:02 PM
gotdamp:
gotdamp:
I just talked to Superior Carburetors in Phoenix, Az and they quoted $175 to rebuilt and ship back to me. That doesn't seem too bad. Anybody heard of these guys?Also called A-1 Carburators and/or Charlie Jones Carburetors.or the carburatorexchange.com

rivercrazy
08-05-2002, 01:12 PM
The hardest part of the conversion is the dual feed lines required. A double pumper has two bowls that have to be fed from the fuel pump. Many distributors stock them so getting the necessary parts is relatively easy.
The only other headache is jetting a carb. You might find some good advice here on the boards if you post which carb you would by and the specs of your motor.

CoastGuardSteve
08-05-2002, 01:41 PM
Go to eBay and type in Bigs Holley. Give them a call and I think you will be very happy with the service that you receive.
Steve
**OUCH! Two stars, who did I piss off?
[ August 05, 2002, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: CoastGuardSteve ]

Hotcrusader76
08-05-2002, 01:45 PM
gotdamp:
I have a Holley 650 cfm 4-barrel on my 1981 Ford 460 jet that needs a rebuild. I am getting prices near $300 for a rebuild of this carb. I have never worked on carbs before and rebuilding it myself is not a good option. Should I just buy a new Holley ($400-450). What problems with installation, setup or tuning might I have with a new Carb? Is it worth going to a 750 cfm or will I have jetting issues. Any help would be much appreciated.We can overhaul, not just a rebuild, that carburetor for you to TPC Racing specs in less than 2 weeks. Check out the website to see what is included in the Double pumper listing. I offer a ***boat.net overhaul quote of $250.00 per carburetor with color choices.
You can contact me at (877) TPC-CARB
-Ty
[ August 05, 2002, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

BIGS
08-05-2002, 04:50 PM
Hello All..........Hey gotdamp..........I will match that estimate of the $175 including return S/H to your door.........My turnaround time is 4 days from the time I get the carb in the door.......Or if ya want to put a BIGS 750 Vacume secondary carb on her look at my auctions.......They are on sale threw the end of the week.....They cost $299 ready to run in your color choice........Hey Steve, thanx for the kind words...... :D Jesse @ BIGS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1848622279

Hallett19
08-05-2002, 04:58 PM
I say go for the 750, if its stock, 750 double pumper if it has some mods, but a rebuild is a good idea, when you have them rebuilt, they always perform better, they mill off the air horn, change the jets and really optimize it, I know guys that will buy brand new carbs and have them rebuilt before they put them on the motor.

gotdamp
08-05-2002, 06:03 PM
BIGS:
Hello All..........Hey gotdamp..........I will match that estimate of the $175 including return S/H to your door.........My turnaround time is 4 days from the time I get the carb in the door.......Or if ya want to put a BIGS 750 Vacume secondary carb on her look at my auctions.......They are on sale threw the end of the week.....They cost $299 ready to run in your color choice........Hey Steve, thanx for the kind words...... :D Jesse @ BIGS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1848622279BIGS, thanks for the response. I have already committed to the ship the carb out to TPC Racing for the overhaul. It is good to know there are price options out there for others reading the posts that may need similar service. Thanks again.

BIGS
08-05-2002, 06:27 PM
No problem.........Im sure he will do a good job for ya :p :p :p ..........Thanx alot, Jesse

lakesmodified
08-05-2002, 07:55 PM
I have already committed to the ship the carb out to TPC Racing for the overhaul. It is good to know there are price options out there for others reading the posts that may need similar service. Thanks again.[/QB][/QUOTE]
I hate to tell you, but that 650 carb is extremely small EVEN for a stock 460 Ford... You would be much happier buying the 750 vacuum secondary carb set-up by BIGS for $300... But hey, it's your money...

Cas
08-05-2002, 08:14 PM
good luck to you gotdamp, I hope your carb makes your engine run as good as mine does with a BIGS. It's probably the best investment I've made on my boat so far.

Hotcrusader76
08-05-2002, 08:44 PM
I hate to tell you, but that 650 carb is extremely small EVEN for a stock 460 Ford... You would be much happier buying the 750 vacuum secondary carb set-up by BIGS for $300... But hey, it's your money...[/QB]In your words explain to me the differences between the two...650 and 750 advertised cfm? Then explain to me, motor VE with respect to each RPM level>>>>.....and how does NASCAR run 390cfm (advertised) carburetors helping motors make over 500 horses and pulling 700cfm of air through that same carburetor.....WOW!!! Amazing hunh? Do your research and know your material before you make such recommendations. Holley 750's aren't the universal carb that everyone thinks!
This is the carburetor he desires to have overhauled and for now this is what he will get. He doesn't want to change carbs, he was very happy with its performance before it sat for over a year, and he just wants a quality refurbished carburetor...without all the sales hassle of being forced into billet carbs with eroneonus cfm sizes. I will also bet my boat title on this, that Robert comes to me again for his next carburetor. TPC Racing has that effect on people....dedication, service, and professionalism
I am sure BIGs runs his business in the same respectable manner that TPC Racing conducts theirs, and I almost certain Jesse has his skills wired tight...Right on! Goodluck to him and the business...
If anyone is interested in the same deal I gave Robert you can call me toll free at (877) TPC-CARB
So give the gentlemen a break...
[ August 05, 2002, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

Ultra21
08-06-2002, 06:54 AM
Since we're on the subject... I had some problems this past weekend originally thought to be distributor related but now am focussing on the carb. I've been getting a miserable miss at WOT that comes and goes and was thinking I was fixing it by adjusting the timing (distributor isn't clamped tight enough and I thought it might be torquing). Now I'm thinking it might be carb related. I have a stock 454 in a jet boat with an HEI distributor and the stock quadrajet carb. I've been thinking of dumping it for a Holley but up until now it's been running great. Being as I have an engine cover, I'm not sure that I have much room for anything higher than the stock setup. Any thoughts on rebuilding the quad or replacing it with something better? I am always looking for performance but want reliability as well.

stressedout
08-06-2002, 07:06 AM
The 650 was the origanal carb for the 460 and not too small unless your gonna make other modifications and turn more rpm.
I know of guys putting 750's on a stock 460 and they lost rpm.

gotdamp
08-06-2002, 07:26 AM
lakesmodified:
I have already committed to the ship the carb out to TPC Racing for the overhaul. It is good to know there are price options out there for others reading the posts that may need similar service. Thanks again.I hate to tell you, but that 650 carb is extremely small EVEN for a stock 460 Ford... You would be much happier buying the 750 vacuum secondary carb set-up by BIGS for $300... But hey, it's your money...[/QB][/QUOTE]
I have convinced myself to go with overhauling the stock Holley 650 cfm vs. a new 750. I am running out of boating season here in Northern Illinois and don't want to spend my remaining free weekends getting the boat set back up. With the stock 650 my stock 460 (except for MSD dist & ignition) has performed great and imho 58 mph GPS at 4600 rpm (JE pump w/ A cut Aggressor) with a 23.5 ft Jet with cuddy is pretty good. The 460 has over 20 years on it so it is inevitable that sometime soon it will need an overhaul. I plan to ramp things up when that time comes. I may need a 750 or 850 at that point. Differing opinions within this forum are expected and healthy. Thanks for all the feedback.

Hotcrusader76
08-06-2002, 07:43 AM
Ultra21:
Since we're on the subject... I had some problems this past weekend originally thought to be distributor related but now am focussing on the carb. I've been getting a miserable miss at WOT that comes and goes and was thinking I was fixing it by adjusting the timing (distributor isn't clamped tight enough and I thought it might be torquing). Now I'm thinking it might be carb related. I have a stock 454 in a jet boat with an HEI distributor and the stock quadrajet carb. I've been thinking of dumping it for a Holley but up until now it's been running great. Being as I have an engine cover, I'm not sure that I have much room for anything higher than the stock setup. Any thoughts on rebuilding the quad or replacing it with something better? I am always looking for performance but want reliability as well.Sounds like you either have an ignition wire that is arching at higher voltages (under load) or there is a vacuum leak somewhere. The Holley baseplates are notorious for vacuum leaks and can be repaired with an overhaul.
When your ready contact me and we can work something out. Unfortunately I will not touch the Quadra-junk carbs. Good luck!
-Ty
(877) TPC-CARB

gotdamp
08-06-2002, 07:48 AM
gotdamp:
lakesmodified:
I have already committed to the ship the carb out to TPC Racing for the overhaul. It is good to know there are price options out there for others reading the posts that may need similar service. Thanks again.I hate to tell you, but that 650 carb is extremely small EVEN for a stock 460 Ford... You would be much happier buying the 750 vacuum secondary carb set-up by BIGS for $300... But hey, it's your money...I have convinced myself to go with overhauling the stock Holley 650 cfm vs. a new 750. I am running out of boating season here in Northern Illinois and don't want to spend my remaining free weekends getting the boat set back up. With the stock 650 my stock 460 (except for MSD dist & ignition) has performed great and imho 58 mph GPS at 4600 rpm (JE pump w/ A cut Aggressor) with a 23.5 ft Jet with cuddy is pretty good. The 460 has over 20 years on it so it is inevitable that sometime soon it will need an overhaul. I plan to ramp things up when that time comes. I may need a 750 or 850 at that point. Differing opinions within this forum are expected and healthy. Thanks for all the feedback.[/QB][/QUOTE]
I forget to add I have also added a hydraulic Place Diverter.

CoastGuardSteve
08-06-2002, 11:06 AM
I was under the impression that the Quadrajet was manufactured by Rochester.
Steve
**Ty what year in school are you presently?
[ August 06, 2002, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: CoastGuardSteve ]

malcolm
08-06-2002, 07:18 PM
Hey Steve, cool pic of the Coast Guard Spectra!

CoastGuardSteve
08-06-2002, 07:21 PM
Malcolm,
I sorta snaked it from BoatCops website. He is an old crusty Coastie.
Many thanks BoatCop!!
Steve