PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust set up on tow vehicle....

AntRant
01-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Do you guys think running a dual exhaust set up exiting stait out under the bumper is a good idea for a boat towing truck? It is a 4x4 so the gases will not be going under the trailer but right in to the bow/hull of the boat.

Mohavekid
01-31-2003, 07:19 PM
I don't really see a problem wit it unless you got some engine trouble in the truck.
I had a Suburban a few years back with duals straight out the back that had some bad valve seals. It covered the front of the boat with tiny droplets of oil. Made a mess.

BigDaddy
02-01-2003, 12:19 AM
AntRant:
Do you guys think running a dual exhaust set up exiting stait out under the bumper is a good idea for a boat towing truck? It is a 4x4 so the gases will not be going under the trailer but right in to the bow/hull of the boat. I would turn them out just behind the rear wheels this helps to keep you from getting black on your legs from the pipes whe you are hooking up the trailer or disconnecting it and helps keep the exhaust out of the water.
and by the way if you need a set of headers for it if it is a small block Chevy I have a set of brand new hedman Headers completely coated inside and out from H.P.C. for Sale Bolts and Gaskets and all for $325.00

AntRant
02-01-2003, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the offer BigDaddy but im going to get a set of Summit's $79.99 headers. This why more money can go to the boat :)

Lightning
02-01-2003, 09:49 AM
AntRant:
Thanks for the offer BigDaddy but im going to get a set of Summit's $79.99 headers. This why more money can go to the boat :) Good luck keeping those from leaking. I heard the flanges on those Summit's are pretty thin and will warp easy from heat. Just my $.02.

Jungle Boy
02-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Lightning:
AntRant:
Thanks for the offer BigDaddy but im going to get a set of Summit's $79.99 headers. This why more money can go to the boat :) Good luck keeping those from leaking. I heard the flanges on those Summit's are pretty thin and will warp easy from heat. Just my $.02. My thoughts too. Cheap headers aren't worth the hassle. If you are planning to keep the truck for a while get headrers with a 3/8" flange or you'll be changing gaskets and burning your arms more often than you thought possible. devil

AntRant
02-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Thank for that info about the flanges guys.....

Lightning
02-01-2003, 11:27 AM
I recommend you look at Thorley Headers (http://www.thorleyheaders.com) or at The Other Guys Headers (http://www.theotherguysproducts.com/home.html).
I had the Thorleys on a 5.7L Suburban, they worked awesome. I have heard nothing but good things about The Other Guys as well. Depending on how much power you are producing, it might make more sense to keep the exhaust as single 3" instead of dual. I found that I lost more power on the low end when I went to dual exhaust when I had this truck. After talking with many different people, they said the single exhaust with the 5 Chamber Flowmaster (dual in/single out) I was running at the time had the proper amount of back pressure for the setup. Good luck finding the right combo, hope this helps.

lakesmodified
02-01-2003, 11:42 AM
AntRant:
Thanks for the offer BigDaddy but im going to get a set of Summit's $79.99 headers. This why more money can go to the boat :) I'm sure you've heard this phrase before: You get what you pay for! Concerning headers, this phrase couldn't be closer to the truth!!! $80.00 headers are worthless! Might as well keep yout stock cast iron exhaust manifolds... At least you won't have to be replacing your exhaust gaskets on a regular basis.