PDA

View Full Version : Finally...pictures of the damage from CBBB at the AVI

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 05:54 PM
For those of you were that were there, or heard about it, or if you are interested....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63brokeimp1.jpg
Three weeks after moving into my temporary house, I finally found my camera.
I had some hard parts failure on a picture pass at the AVI. I don't know what caused it yet, but it FUB-R'ED my Legend A impeller. I am still pretty sad about it.
A forum member posted that he took video of the whole pass, I would like to purchase a copy of the tape if it is available, or if you want to sell it.
I haven't seen anything posted about CBBB recently. Is the video made yet?
Brian
[ September 29, 2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 05:56 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63brokeimp2.jpg
You can see how good the leading edge of the impeller is, it has 8 hours on it max.

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 05:57 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63brokeimp3.jpg

Sangster
09-29-2003, 06:07 PM
WoW..I've never had a prop do that...j/k....Is that a bronze impeller...... :rolleyes: ...How many rpm's was ya' turnin' & how deep was the water.. smile_sp smile_sp These are some of the questions the jetboat shops ask... smile_sp smile_sp

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey Sangster,
The water was about 8 feet deep, I think, late in the day in Laughlin.
To the wood, about 5200RPM'S. Aluminum Legend "A".
I have a loader grate, and a shoe/rideplate that I made. I may be loading the pump too hard. I still need to install pressure gauges when I get it back together.
Brian

Sangster
09-29-2003, 06:23 PM
Yup....

Kindsvater Flat
09-29-2003, 06:29 PM
To much Mopar power it looks to me. Go get a v-drive! :D

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
To much Mopar power it looks to me. Go get a v-drive! :D Yes sir,
As soon as this house deal is done, I am back in the market, probably a runner-bottom or hydro.
Brian

MikeF
09-29-2003, 06:46 PM
wsuwrhr:
To the wood, about 5200RPM'S.I was watching when it let go eek! ! That mopar went to the moon wink !

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Had the chip in the MSD set for 5500, no doubt it would have shot rods out if it didn't.
Brian

565edge
09-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Wow!I have never seen that before.Didnt HB thedoc JET say legend was the best?That sucks,That impeller looks like it was new?

MikeF
09-29-2003, 07:18 PM
First failure I've heard of. Guess it could happen to anyone. :rolleyes:
Did the impeller fail on the broach for the keyway?

JetBoatRich
09-29-2003, 07:25 PM
wsuwrhr:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63brokeimp2.jpg
You can see how good the leading edge of the impeller is, it has 8 hours on it max. That looks nasty, devil it looks pretty new at the same time :confused:

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
09-29-2003, 07:28 PM
DAMN JET BOATS! Buy my boat ... it doesn't have enough horse power to break anything! :) Congrats on the house ... what city are you guys in? Hope you are still close by incase I need my Dodge mechanic!

Squirtcha?
09-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Seems to me that had to be some kind of defect. I've seen some pretty messed up impellers (including the one in my garage), but I've never seen one break in two like that. Wonder if one of the pump gurus could add something to the mix? I'd be curious as to how common it is.

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 07:38 PM
It split right across the keyway, the weakest part.
The impleller was a two-peice unit then I took it out of the housing.
I hope noone thought it was a slam on Legend, their impellers are they best detailed out of the box I have seen. I don't know why it failed.
It was just something that happens, like I said, I think I need to build a blocked loader grate because my shoe is loading the impeller too hard.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Squirtcha?:
Seems to me that had to be some kind of defect. I've seen some pretty messed up impellers (including the one in my garage), but I've never seen one break in two like that. Wonder if one of the pump gurus could add something to the mix? I'd be curious as to how common it is. You know it's funny, I always try and be nice to it. I don't usually floor it out of the hole, and I always watch the water in the rough so I don't
unload the pump. The weekend of CBBB I floored it twice comming out of the hole, and once I unloaded
the pump really hard crossing across a wake.
I don't know if a broken impeller was worth it, but it was pretty cool to have the boat come out of the water nose up, like the avatar on this post, although not nearly as much as that.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 07:55 PM
CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE:
DAMN JET BOATS! Buy my boat ... it doesn't have enough horse power to break anything! :) Congrats on the house ... what city are you guys in? Hope you are still close by incase I need my Dodge mechanic! San Bernardino dude, way too far out,
I'll still come out if you need help.
Brian

Kindsvater Flat
09-29-2003, 07:58 PM
At least yours didn't almost sink. Ricks first outing resulted in this.
http://www.do-it-yourself-dragboat.com/images/pump/failure/mvc-006f.jpg

HammerDown
09-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Sorry to see that happen...but thanks for posting the pic.

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 08:03 PM
I saw that post, I could imagine how much water was coming in the boat when it was moving. At least he made it to shore in time.
It can always be worse, at least mine didn't sink right in the middle of the river. I would have been pissed at myself that I didn't make Acceptance a free license plate frame.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-29-2003, 08:04 PM
HammerDown:
Sorry to see that happen...but thanks for posting the pic. Thanks for the concern, all in a days boating.
Brian

GlastronGuy
09-29-2003, 09:04 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
To much Mopar power it looks to me. Go get a v-drive! :D That's a good idea. It's hard to tear up your boat when all you do is sit on the beach watching everyone else run.
:)

canuck1
09-29-2003, 09:18 PM
I've done the same thing twice with legend impellers, once from a rock the other from full pedal re-entry

Kindsvater Flat
09-29-2003, 09:23 PM
GlastronGuy:
Kindsvater Flat:
To much Mopar power it looks to me. Go get a v-drive! :D That's a good idea. It's hard to tear up your boat when all you do is sit on the beach watching everyone else run.
:) Instigator! :D Actually mine isn't a trailer queen. The previous owner would roll in his grave if he saw all the scratches that I have put in it!

Sangster
09-29-2003, 09:28 PM
Those are Beer can scratches.......

Cs19
09-29-2003, 09:30 PM
one word.. stainless :D

Moneypitt
09-29-2003, 09:31 PM
I think the failure at the keyway is a clue to the overall split. I used to make shafts and pins for Harleys that all had keyways. The only failures we had were at the keyways. I don't know if the impellers are heat treated after the broching is done, but that was a big issue as the keyway will change shape, become unparalell on the sides, and not be in full contact with the key. This is also a problem with the shaft. Something in your set up,(horsepower) overcame the ability of the key to keep the shaft from spinning in the impeller. Once the key slipped it acted as a wedge to split the weakest part. If it were a stainless impeller and an aluminum shaft, the shaft would have taken the brunt of the damage. Still, a major failure such as this, without anyone getting hurt, or blowing the sides out of your motor! Must have been your lucky day, if you really stop and think about it!!!!..Moneypitt.. PS, don't dare sell it until you figure out why, and overcome it, or it will bug you forever!!!

hack job
09-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Brian,
that look like too much hp for the impellor. sorry to see it was that bad. hope to see you get it fixed fast. wink

Blown 472
09-30-2003, 08:33 AM
Or maybe that mopar is just makin too much power??

Moneypitt
09-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Please keep us informed as to what they,(legend), says caused this problem..to much HP? bad key?..I'm sure others here are waiting to see how legend handles this.....Moneypitt..PS: you might tell them we're all waiting.....

wsuwrhr
09-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Nobody caught that the Legend impeller is
shoehorned into my Jacuzzi ey?
Sell the impeller? No way, this one goes on the wall buddy.
I doubt I will ask for a warrantee, shit happens.
I made a hardened stainless shaft to mate the impeller to the Jacuzzi, the impeller ****ed that up a little too. I can fix that though.
No way I am over 600HP that an aluminum impeller is supposed to handle, you guys would laugh if you knew what was in the bottom end of my 440. Funny thing, first time I had this boat out after I built it, I twisted the stock Jacuzzi shaft at the splines. That is when I made the Legend setup.
I am thinking I may be loading the pump too hard.
Too much shoe.
I was hoping Jack the Doctor would pipe in, if he lurked on the boards anymore, I haven't heard from him in awhile, I guess I have to go see him.
Brian
[ September 30, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

flat broke
09-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Brian,
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the guru has seen pics of your impeller. Give him a call and he might have some info. Better than making the drive out. :) BTW, I need to talk to you about getting some plate rings done up. I'll PM ya later.
Chris

wsuwrhr
09-30-2003, 05:48 PM
No problem Chris, let me know what you need.
You can call me at 909-983-1484. I don't have DSL for the moment, so if I don't answer, leave a message and I'll call right back.
Brian

Kindsvater Flat
09-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Blown 472:
Or maybe that mopar is just makin too much power?? :D :D :D

Lookin for Liquid
10-01-2003, 08:45 AM
You might want to look at the driveshaft alignment and engine angle. I have seen many broken impellors and they for the most part break at the keyway due to the fact of the inside sharp corner of the key cut. One of the ones I saw was from engine angle misalignment ceating harmonics on the pump shaft and splitting the impellor in two, just like yours. Horsepower was not an issue as it was a 396 single carb. Raised the front of the motor up 2 inches and it is still running. That was 8 years ago. Just throwing out a thought that can be checked very easily with a smart level.

superdave013
10-01-2003, 08:57 AM
It broke due to a ROOKIE install. haha :D
You do know I'm just kiddin ya right
[ October 01, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Danhercules
10-01-2003, 09:02 AM
When a piston gets fried or broke, I have seen them used as ash trays for the garage. What do you do with that?? Any ideas???

victorfb
10-01-2003, 09:06 AM
make a garage clock out of it..... what time is it? half past crack!!!

Danhercules
10-01-2003, 09:08 AM
What crack? Midnight or 6???!?!?!?! eek!

victorfb
10-01-2003, 09:09 AM
that would all depend on what RPM your spinnin.

pops1
10-01-2003, 09:25 AM
wsuwrhr:
No way I am over 600HP that an aluminum impeller is supposed to handle, you guys would laugh if you knew what was in the bottom end of my 440. Funny thing, first time I had this boat out after I built it, I twisted the stock Jacuzzi shaft at the splines. That is when I made the Legend setup.
I am thinking I may be loading the pump too hard.
Too much shoe.
Brian I have serious doubts that its the casting-
You are way over the limit on Alum.
Come On- 28,000 to 32,000 psi tensile is
Alum T6.
You have a MoPar which grunts out torque.
HP is the least of the damage,
its the torque factor today,
It twists it for the ride want to
or not, untill it finds the weak
link in the system.
Sorry- I know its big bucks to fix.

HammerDown
10-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
http://www.do-it-yourself-dragboat.com/images/pump/failure/mvc-006f.jpg What the heck happened to cause this eek! ...and how did'nt that boat sink :confused: Now thats a scary pic.

wsuwrhr
10-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Lookin for Liquid:
You might want to look at the driveshaft alignment and engine angle. I have seen many broken impellors and they for the most part break at the keyway due to the fact of the inside sharp corner of the key cut. One of the ones I saw was from engine angle misalignment ceating harmonics on the pump shaft and splitting the impellor in two, just like yours. Horsepower was not an issue as it was a 396 single carb. Raised the front of the motor up 2 inches and it is still running. That was 8 years ago. Just throwing out a thought that can be checked very easily with a smart level. Now that is another problem I have yet to address. I bought my headers hoping that they had enough rise to clear the transom. When they weren't even close, I had to raise the motor up to clear the transom. anyone who has seen the driveshaft angle has to wince. I was planning on having custom headers made over the winter. I just wanted to drive the boat a season, I built it over a period of 5 years.
Brian

Kindsvater Flat
10-01-2003, 06:30 PM
HammerDown:
Kindsvater Flat:
http://www.do-it-yourself-dragboat.com/images/pump/failure/mvc-006f.jpg What the heck happened to cause this eek! ...and how did'nt that boat sink :confused: Now thats a scary pic. Rick built this injected 540 gas motor in a Horizon jet. This last winter he built up Wally Albrights old Rogers Dragstar. He painted went through the motor after a NOS meltdown. Since then it has been converted to alky with the NOS. First test out it launched hard, cavitated, and loaded again. That pic is the result. Instantly his feet was wet and he aimed it for the beach. They had to haul his trailer around to the other side of the river and winch it down the bank to load it and take it home. There are a bunch of pics of it at my website and some videos of it. Look under Rick's Race Shop and Rick's Videos.
ps the NOS hasn't been used and so far its at 105mph

HammerDown
10-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
HammerDown:
Kindsvater Flat:
http://www.do-it-yourself-dragboat.com/images/pump/failure/mvc-006f.jpg What the heck happened to cause this eek! ...and how did'nt that boat sink :confused: Now thats a scary pic. Rick built this injected 540 gas motor in a Horizon jet. This last winter he built up Wally Albrights old Rogers Dragstar. He painted went through the motor after a NOS meltdown. Since then it has been converted to alky with the NOS. First test out it launched hard, cavitated, and loaded again. That pic is the result. Instantly his feet was wet and he aimed it for the beach. They had to haul his trailer around to the other side of the river and winch it down the bank to load it and take it home. There are a bunch of pics of it at my website and some videos of it. Look under Rick's Race Shop and Rick's Videos.
ps the NOS hasn't been used and so far its at 105mph So your telling us that blow out is the result of an extreme case of unloadind/loading the Pump! eek!

Kindsvater Flat
10-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Yep

HammerDown
10-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Curious...was there by chance a pressure guage taped into that area?

Kindsvater Flat
10-01-2003, 08:28 PM
He didn't have a guage there. He has been trying different loaders and it seems to be working. If I remember right he said its spinning close to 7k then hooks and stays around 6600-6700rpm.