PDA

View Full Version : Essex Vs. Ultra

mjm3
09-28-2002, 03:42 PM
I am in the market for a Essex Vortex with a 377 Scorpion or an Ultra Stelth with a 6.2. Any thoughts.

river-rat
09-28-2002, 04:13 PM
Depending on what you want to do with the boat and your individual needs this can be a tough question. Are you refering to a 22 Stealth or 21 Stealth? They are very different from each other. The 22 is a more low profile river boat that works very well with a jet, where as the 21 Stealth has a higher freeboard like the Vortex. If you are comparing the 22 Stealth to the Vortex; they are very different boats like I said. It is gonna depend on your needs. If you are comparing to the 21 Stealth then the choice is a little harder because they are similar in styling.
For a "river boat" I would look no further than Ultra. They seem to have captured the market in river boats. If you are looking for a good all around 21'-22', then I would be looking at the Essex 21 Sterling and 22 Vortex, Ultra's 21 Stealth, Lavey's 21 XTSki, and a Howard 22 Sport.
To answer your question in the beginning... I would choose the Essex for me IF those were the ONLY 2 boats I was considering. If I could have ANY 21'-22' out there, I would get the Lavey hands down!

OutCole'd
09-28-2002, 04:39 PM
Here we go, Please pass the popcorn, and down in the front. I cant see.

shockwavebd
09-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Save me a spot up frt. :p

kcm21
09-28-2002, 05:49 PM
I don't have either but I have a friend with the 22 ESSEX with the 496HO and he runs about 72 and it is a really nice boat. Although they both are very nice boats. (see this can be a postive thread, it doesn't always become a pissing match :D But just in case I want to be up front :D ) Much respect for both boats they are both sweet boats
-kev-

river-rat
09-28-2002, 06:17 PM
OutCole'd:
Here we go, Please pass the popcorn, and down in the front. I cant see.Did I say something wrong? wink

Lakemead1
09-28-2002, 06:40 PM
just buy my Essex, for sale on BoatXchange (http://www.boatxchange.com)
I love it, and I'm not worried about selling it, but I want a bigger boat.
Email me if you have questions.

kcm21
09-28-2002, 06:55 PM
RR,
You didn't say anything wrong but threads like this end up in a huge pissing match....read the thread about leaving out DCB in hot boat oct, and you will see where this type of thread ends up. But maybe that only happens with guys that spend over 70 grand on a boat!
-kev-
nothin wrong in asking opinions just watch out for pissing matches!

Lakemead1
09-28-2002, 07:00 PM
Dave on LVHB has the 496 (not HO) he blows my drive off, but damn if I can't pull any fat $ss skier out of the water anytime and get on plane in a heartbeat.
One thing that's dissappointed me is the lack of speed, I'll be honest, I'm far from the fastest boat out there. But a 10 year old could drive it, it handles well, it totally bulletproof (ya know, I got plenty of people shooting bullets at me :D ) Essex makes a great boat,but my next will be a cat, for sure, and probably in the 25 to 26 ft. range.

mjm3
09-28-2002, 07:25 PM
Sorry, Dont want to start a war. I was looking at the 21 foot ultra.
Thank you for the input. I looked at the Lavey and now that is in the mix as well.

river-rat
09-28-2002, 07:38 PM
In June I started looking into a new boat. 21' open bow was what I thought I wanted. I live in Northern California so I did most of my research via the internet, phone conversation, and mail. In August I went to visit the various builders but for a 24' to 26'. While there I still looke at the 21's just out of curiousity. I have a few more places to visit and then I will have made my final decision. Talk to as many owners as you can and look at as many boats as you can. You will find the right boat; you are at least looking at the top quality builders. In my opinion.

kcm21
09-29-2002, 07:17 AM
LM1,
What engine do you have in your's? annd what do you top out at? I have a 21 commander and my buddy with the 22 essex with the 496HO walked past me like I was standin still!
mjm3,
Just make sure to get one engine size bigger than you want because if you get the 377 I will bet you that you'll wish you had the speed of the 496! :D :D :D I know I do!
-kev-

Lakemead1
09-29-2002, 09:43 AM
454 with a bravo 3 - not the fastest boat on the lake for sure. It's supposed to top out in the low 60's according to Essex, but I don't think I've ever seen it. (at least I'm honest :rolleyes:

kcm21
09-29-2002, 09:48 AM
LM1,
Well I guess you don't need to make up for somethin else by having the fastest boat on the lake! ha ha ha That is what people with average boats have to say :D :D
-kev-
it is a great looking boat

mjm3
09-29-2002, 01:13 PM
Hot Boat says 68 mph out of the Vortex with a 377 scorpion and a brovo one. Would the 496 be faster in your opinion? I tend to lean toward the 377.

Lakemead1
09-29-2002, 01:38 PM
hmmm, 377 scorpion or 496? I'll have to be honest again and say I really don't know. I know my buddies 496 blows me away. He's also got the through transom exhaust, I have through outdrive. That's one thing I would definitely do different. My boat is quiet like a lexus, but reminds me of a bayliner because it's so damn quiet.
Essex never asked me what exhaust I wanted, that bummed me out. But I still love the boat!
I've heard some very good things about Ultra also though, and I think Lavey is at the tops as well. I would never consider boat discussions a pissing match, because I'm open and unbiased, in fact I think aside from DCB, Howard makes the best boat out there from what I've seen and heard, but you're looking at great boats, you won't go wrong either way.
My guess is that the Ultra may have a little more value for the money than Essex - check into that also. Essex is far from cheap (not that Ultra is).
Best wishes!
BTW, if you ever want to come to Vegas I'd be more than happy to take you out for a day, let you drive (in open water of course :D ) etc., just to get a feel for the hull and it's handling.
Just drop me a note.
Later!
Greg

kcm21
09-29-2002, 02:08 PM
LM1,
how bad is the water really at mead right now? I think horse power wise (correct me if I'm wrong) the 377 has about 330 to 350 and I think the 496 has 400. Although when I got my boat they told me the difference between the 350 mag and the the carbuerated (sp) was 50 horsepower and like 2 to 3 miles an hour different.
-kev-

shockwavebd
09-29-2002, 02:49 PM
The 377 scorp is a 350HP race motor and the 496mag is 375 HP ,496 mag HO 425 I think the motor your talking about is the MX6.2 350 bored out to 377 with 320HP
[ September 29, 2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: shockwavebd ]

kcm21
09-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Well I was close and that is a suprise! :D :D
thanks
-kev-

roln 20s
09-29-2002, 09:45 PM
mjm3-
I agree with the rest- you can't go wrong with either. However, I stopped by and was "window shopping" at Essex one day for fun and had a very good experience there and would place them right on the top of my list. As for the engine question- I have talked to a couple different boat builders that try to stay away from the Scorpion 377 just because of the high cost. The 496 and 496 HO, from what I have been told, are actually cheaper than the 377 Upgrade. My theory is a EFI 496 with 75 more hp for less money- you can't go wrong. Just a note on Essex- there boats all seem so much bigger than they really are- the 21 inside feels bigger and the 22 is big and wide. Boat sweet boats.
Lakemead1- I agree with you on Howard boats- I think they are some of the best people with some of the nicest boats around! I wish more people would talk about them! Another side note- their 22 Sport is a beautiful boat!!
Roln 20s

Smokin Joe
09-30-2002, 07:47 AM
It is all in what you want? In most cases the Scorpion 377 upgrade price is the same as the 496HO. The Scop 377 prop shaft HP is 350 and weighs about 250 lbs less than the HO. The Scorp is a race motor with all the good stuff. As like the other blue motors it is a good looking motor this is what drew me and have been happy ever since. joe

Lakemead1
09-30-2002, 09:50 AM
The water here isn't too bad, but it's definitely low. I was pulling out about a month ago, and these goofballs with a wakeboard boat hit something, they said it was in the middle of the lake, but I don't buy that. I saw though, they definitely hit something.
Essex does make a great boat, I totally love mine, but I want a cat now. If they made a cat, I'd buy theirs.

jet496
09-30-2002, 12:46 PM
I have a 2001, 21' Ultra Stealth, 496HO, jet. Lots of people room & tons of storage. Handles big water pretty good, obviously any 21 footer is going to be tricky & bumpy in large chop. I like mine because it's great in the river & still handles at Powell & Meade. E-mail me if you want more info or pictures of the boat. Go to their Showroom & take a peak and/or a test drive.

nozzleboy
10-01-2002, 08:27 AM
I own a Howard 22 sport and love it. The boat has the 350 Mag Bravo one with through transome, sounds sweet. This boat does every thing I want it to do. No B.S. 4 adults, both tanks full of fuel in small white caps in Mojave this thing ran 64 mph on the speedo. i do not have a gps yet. All i can say is this is boat is quality and i am very pleased. If fit and finish mean anything to you, this boat will not disappoint you. But just like any thing else there are alot of REALLY nice boats out there, just get what works for you and who cares what people say about it.

NastyNebs
06-14-2004, 07:35 PM
I just bought a 2001 Ultra Genesis 21' with the 496 HO, with a 5 people and the diverter not functionally properly, we still hit 65+, I love the boat, top of the line everything and unique gel schemes
Travis

rivercrazy
06-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Between the Essex and the Ultra I would pick the Essex personally. The Essex has a deeper V for a better ride and they are built like tanks to ride great in the rough. For other great riding and performing 21's look at the Lavey 21, Shockwave Step Skier, Howard 22

CBLavey
06-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by shockwavebd
The 377 scorp is a 350HP race motor and the 496mag is 375 HP ,496 mag HO 425 I think the motor your talking about is the MX6.2 350 bored out to 377 with 300HP wink
[ September 29, 2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: shockwavebd ]
6.2 MX is actually 320HP. 377 Scorpion is about to be phased out of production....:cool: :cool:

THOR
06-15-2004, 07:13 AM
My dad has a 21' Stealth with a 350 Mag and it runs awesome. Very quick, but it is light. Much lighter than the Essex. Depending on the water you will be in, you can have either. If I were on Havasu all the time, I might lean to the Essex, if I were on Parker and Havasu occasionally, I would go with the Ultra.

jbtrailerjim
06-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Well I've owned an Essex and I currently own an Ultra. There both great boats. You won't go wrong with either one you choose. If I was in the market for a nice 21' or 22' boat I might lean toward an Essex. But my guess is the Essex 22' Vortex is quite a bit more than than the Ultra 21 Stealth. I think you will get more bang for your buck with an Ultra but the Essex is just a little nicer and they are built like a tank.

BENZEEN
06-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by mjm3
Hot Boat says 68 mph out of the Vortex with a 377 scorpion and a brovo one. Would the 496 be faster in your opinion? I tend to lean toward the 377.
If you are referring to the borchure at Essex that highlights the Hot Boat test, it is a bit out dated. I was told that the the Vortex hull had been tweaked a little in 2002 for more stability, and that test in Hot Boat was before the tweak. Insidentally, that tweak cost the hull 2-3 miles an hour.
I have a Vortex with the 496mag(375hp) and so far, it has been a solid boat. It handles rough water well and is easy to drive. It is not the fastest boat out there, but does ok.
I looked at Ultra, Cobra, Lavey, Shockwave. The interior of the Essex appealed to us more than the others. There seemed to be more room in the boat.
If you want more info, just PM me.
-Vik

rodnjen
06-16-2004, 06:35 AM
People seam to be asking where you will be boating, but more importantly, what type of boating will you be doing?
I bought the 21' Sterling w 6.2/B3 largely because I wanted a boat the would do just about anything, not one thing perfectly, but many things very well. For us the big selling points were interior room and layout, ample freeboard but not too much, durability styling, and most importantly, a swim step that was right at the water line. That may sound odd, but for us a boat is still a utility vehicle and must be versatile and accessable.
Either of those two boats are outstanding choices, but if you look at the type of boating you will be doing, then your decision will likely be easier.

duffster
06-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Ultras 21RS would be a closer comparison to the Essex Sterling 21.

Essex502
06-17-2004, 06:17 AM
When we bought our boat in 2000 we looked pretty hard at the Ultras and chose the Essex. Personal likes and dislikes...they're both great builders in my opinion. Essex seems to be built a little sturdier and their attention to details is fantastic. Lay-ups are probably different as well. Which ever you pick you can't go wrong.

mtndewdrops
06-17-2004, 08:39 PM
You can't go wrong either way...We just got lucky and found ours gently used... We also looked at Laveys.
Good Luck!

K9Blitz
06-18-2004, 03:35 PM
I think both boats are high-end. I have the Essex 24 Valor and couldn't be happier. I went with the Essex because of their reputation for building a solid boat. They use more material in their hulls, which is why their boats are generally heavier than the competitions. I have no problem giving up a few mph's on the top end for a solid boat that is going to handle the chop of Mohave better. My 496HO pushes the 24' on plane super quick with a fully loaded top end of 65mph.
I have a buddy who has an Ultra. He couldn't be happier. I will say that Ultra has the best graphics I've seen.
Good luck.

Ultracrazy
06-21-2004, 05:26 PM
K9.................have I seen this boat somewhere before???
Hehehehehe.....
UC

Ultracrazy
06-21-2004, 05:30 PM
In all seriousness.....I have ridden in the 24 Valor.......solid as a rock. I have the 21 Stealth (Ultra) and do most of my boating Between Needles and Topock........great boat for the river......would be a little hesitant on the lake on a choppy day. I have taken the boat up to the lake.....but it was a GREAT DAY with no wind. Tough to find a boat that will do everything.
UC

b's sanger
06-22-2004, 05:57 PM
No Ultracrazy, you didn't see the same boat, just the same blonde deckhand riding in a bunch of different boats.
It's all good!!! "Wooooooooooooooooooo":D

Ultracrazy
06-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Damn Sanger.........those are two ffffffiiiinnnnnneee looking boats in that avatar :D
But.........I don't see the SEA COW anywhere in the pic :confused: :D

b's sanger
06-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Yeah, Capt. Flounder circummed to the pressure and stepped up. Now he's out of control, floatees and all.
It's all good!!!"Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo"