PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boat Help

Rubths
05-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Just purchased a jet boat with a built 454, I know nothing about them and was hoping that someone could teach me what I need to know about maintanance and up keep? I am even willing to pay this person for there time, Im in escondido.
James 760-212-4206

NOMERCY
05-15-2002, 11:05 AM
Hey Rub, welcome to the jungle! being located on the "BEST COAST" for high performance boating, I think a couple cases of the silver bullets(beer) and some munchies many of the people will come and help with your boating project. Just wish I was on the West Coast. I`m located in New Orleans La.

HAVASU DCB
05-15-2002, 11:23 AM
Hey Rubths,
Call Mobile Marine Service. They come right to your house. They will service it and tell you everything you need to know about your boat. 909-640-0667 ask for shawn

Rubths
05-15-2002, 12:14 PM
Addicted gave me his number and I talked to him about an hour ago. He is just like all the shops right now booked up, looks like I will be pulling the boat up to corona to have him work on it sometime this week. I was hoping to find someone local to help me out but I will make do with who can help me for now. As for the brews NOMERCY, anytime you want to make the trip out west I will have a cold one waiting for you!
The boat isnt really a project boat, its in excellent shape and the motor sounds strong, I just dont know anything about jet boats. Guess Im looking for a quick lesson.
This is the boat I bought http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/0/25448970.htm
Another question, when I bought the boat it was advertised as a 19ft hallet but my new reg says its a Miller..... Whats up with that?
[This message has been edited by Rubths (edited May 15, 2002).]

Bense468
05-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Looks good just ask questions here and people will help.

Bense468
05-15-2002, 07:20 PM
Oh if you are just trying to learn. Stay in the jet TECH section or go and search back in the Jet talk section with keywords. That used to be a good fourm but it turned to shit.

Costello
05-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Rubths, My DiMarco was advertised as a Spectra. There are all kind of folks out there. I personally can't fathom not knowing what kind of boat I owned. What are the first 3 or 4 letters of the VIN? These are the MIC letters, or Manufacturers Identification Code. Get us those and we'll tell you what it is. Miller may have bought an old Hallet mold also and it may be a Hallett by Miller. My DiMarco is actually a DiMarco by Deaver. Confusing huh? Anyhow it's nice to see people snagging up ***boats when so many people out there are thinking that these new fangled wakeboard specials are the kind to have. Nice ride.

ROZ
05-15-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Rubths:
Just purchased a jet boat with a built 454, I know nothing about them and was hoping that someone could teach me what I need to know about maintanance and up keep? I am even willing to pay this person for there time, Im in escondido.
James 760-212-4206
Try looking up a profile for user JohnATjmmarine . I think Kwiturbitchen (sp)helped creat a site for his shop a while back. He own's a shop up in Valley Center if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong talking to a guy with his experience......Or most anyone here for that matter.

Heatseeker
05-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Looking at the picture, I'd say you got a Miller. It looks like his Ski Sprint model. The trailer is definitly a Miller, with his trademark fenders. I recently visited Miller and saw the molds for that boat and those fenders.
Nice boat. You're in for some fun Summers!

SD MIKEY
05-16-2002, 12:12 AM
jmmarine.com http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

HavasuDreamin'
05-16-2002, 06:10 AM
I think you bought a Miller. Not that Hallet couldn't have had the mold at one time, but the Miller's all came with trailers that look exactly like yours. They have those fenders that roll down on the sides and flow from front to back. I have never seen another manufacture use that type of trailer. Anything is possible, but my guess is you have a Miller. Very good boats! Costello is right, check the first two or three letter of your hulls serial number. That will tell all! Have fun!

Rubths
05-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! Ive been doing some digging and found out a few things I needed to know but still would like to have the boat looked at. I talked to Mobile Marine Service Shawn but he hasnt called me back to set a day and time for me to bring him the boat.
Anyone have an idea of what kind of speed to expect out of a boat like this? I took the motor papers to my car mechanic and he says the motor should be putting out between 400-500hp as long as everything on the reciepts was put into the motor.

Wet Dream
05-16-2002, 05:25 PM
Hallett...probaly not.
Sweet...VERY!!
Nice score

ROZ
05-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Addicted gave me his number and I talked to him about an hour ago. He is just like all the shops right now booked up, looks like I will be pulling the boat up to corona to have him work on it sometime this week. I was hoping to find someone local to help me out but I will make do with who can help me for now. As for the brews NOMERCY, anytime you want to make the trip out west I will have a cold one waiting for you!
The boat isnt really a project boat, its in excellent shape and the motor sounds strong, I just dont know anything about jet boats. Guess Im looking for a quick lesson.
This is the boat I bought http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/0/25448970.htm
Another question, when I bought the boat it was advertised as a 19ft hallet but my new reg says its a Miller..... Whats up with that?
[This message has been edited by Rubths (edited May 15, 2002).]
Did the X owner take less than 7k or was it firm? Just curious....maybe in the market in that range if my refund ever gets here!

Rubths
05-17-2002, 07:53 AM
I stole it for $4,900

ROZ
05-17-2002, 11:08 AM
I stole it for $4,900
HOLY $HIT! How the heck did you get the guy down 2.5K ?

Rubths
05-17-2002, 11:16 AM
Im a salesman, its my job to negotiate the best price!

Rubths
05-17-2002, 11:19 AM
You still work at Tweeter? I need a pair of good 6x9 speakers with enclosures for my boat. Hook a bro up!

ROZ
05-17-2002, 02:41 PM
You still work at Tweeter? I need a pair of good 6x9 speakers with enclosures for my boat. Hook a bro up!
Yup, let me know when. You can shoot me an email when you're ready. I'd like to keep ya out of the store if at all possible. Sometimes the retail sales guys get a little pissed when I give ya'll my price. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif You're all "corporate clients" as far as I'm concerned http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
[This message has been edited by ROZ (edited May 17, 2002).]

Tbolt
05-17-2002, 06:44 PM
seeing how nobody answered your question, here you go= criusing speed is between 3000 to 3500 rpm. watch for shallow water that pump will suck up 5 ft. below the boat on take off. lube the pump every other outing,W.T.O.( wide open throttle)no longer than 20 sec.thats long enough to win any race( or lose) at idle you have little to no steering ( it's a giant jetski) the faster u go the more it steers,you can out manuever most anything on the water(v-drives) watch out for the wave when you back off the pedal,you can swamp your boat(water over the stern) dont over steer you can cavitate sideways and flip watch your temp should run around 160 to 180 degree's. if you need any more advice feel free to e-mail at thndrbolt@msn.com http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

Bense468
05-17-2002, 09:05 PM
well I don't think you will out manuever a V drive. Espically a flat. They turn hard as hell but you get the point. I am a jet guy but there is nothing like putting a flat in a turn.

jweeks123
05-17-2002, 09:16 PM
what do you think a flat would do on a sprint boat course? lol
jw

Bense468
05-17-2002, 09:22 PM
I don't know why don't you show me. lol

Rubths
05-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Thanks again for the hookup on the sound system in the boat Chris, The system Rocks!
Its a small world that we used to hang out over 10 years ago and meet again on this board. Well I took the boat to the lake sunday and ran it for about 20 minutes, It wasnt running all that good, missing, spuddering and wouldnt really hold an idle but still hauled ass! Im still looking for someone to tune the boat but cant seem to find anyone, I did talk to Shawn @ Mobile Marine Service last tuesday but he never called me back to set up a day to drop the boat off to him. Im doing a tune up on it tonight and hope thats the problem.

78Eliminator
05-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Hey! I live in Vista, just bought a boat and had the same problem. Before I go into detail on how I fixed it, what kind of carb setup do you have?

Rubths
05-20-2002, 01:31 PM
It has a holly double pumper, dont know what size.

78Eliminator
05-20-2002, 01:39 PM
I would bet money your accelerator pump nozzles are clogged. Does it spudder off the line but at a steady RPM, it's fine?

Rubths
05-20-2002, 02:28 PM
It has great throttle response, seemed like the motor was loading up or missing.

ROZ
05-20-2002, 05:26 PM
I stole it for $4,900
Yup, he stole it. I am by any means NO expert, but the gel, interior, stringers, motor, and pump look to be in great condition. The guy who owned the boat before you obviously took good care of it.
Your stereo sounds great. I like that you use only your portable walkman style MP3 player as your source. Great idea. Let me know if you ever need anything else. I'll do my best to hook you up.
Glad you made it out to the lake. Did you go to Elsinore or San Vicente?
I'm sure you'll be very pleased, and have lots of fun with your setup after you get it dialed in.
10 years and less than a mile for the last 3.5....Funny,eh?
I almost forgot, PHAT Excursion! Now how bout that video http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
[This message has been edited by ROZ (edited May 20, 2002).]

jet496
05-20-2002, 08:28 PM
ROZ..I have a 2001 Ultra & would like to add a four more speakers. Currently have a Pioneer 50wx4 deck, (6) small speakers, (2) 12" woofers & an amp supposedly hidden somewhere. It's actually a pretty good system.
Anyway, I'd like to add (2) in the bow area & (2) by the drivers/passenger seats. Maybe eliminate (2) that are always buried by our cooler.
Talk to me baby..Cash deal.
I live right off 8 in Lakeside.

Rubths
05-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Went to San Vicente, the lake was kinda small but it was very nice. The lake police were actually very nice, let me do a few hot laps with the big roost going. Yep the Excursion is preaty Dope, going back in next week for more suspension work to bring the back up another 2" so its level with the front. Im ready when you are on that DVD system for it, price it out when you have some time and let me know who will do the installation so my wife can plan a few days without it.
Since my last post Mobile marine shawn called me and apologized about not calling me back, Im dropping the boat off at his house in corona early tommarow morning so he can go throught it. I feel alot better knowing that the boat was dialed in by a pro!
Thanks for all the Help guys!!!!!
Beer is on me when we all get together.

ROZ
05-20-2002, 10:49 PM
Jet496, If you have an idea of what you want, let me know. I'll be glad to hook you up. You can pick them up at the 2nd street store, no problem. Just email or call me so I can set it up.
Also, if you're looking to have them before this weekend, call me before 4pm tomorrow. The fam is going to Indy Wed. and will be gone through next Tuesday.
James, Do you have an auto-retracting ladder to help the wife board the beast? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif

78Eliminator
05-21-2002, 07:15 AM
Let me know when you go to san Vicente again. I have been going there lately. Maybe this or next weekend we can meet up. I have a 78 pickle fork with a 468 high rise with dual 4150s and a ram air scoop. It's red, yellow and white in all it's cheesy 70s glory. Lemme no.
Justin

Rubths
05-21-2002, 07:39 AM
If she is prego we may have a problem with the size of her ride, but till then she doest mind the clim up. I enjoy the veiw down in rush hour traffic!!!! Got Lykis?
Dropped the boat off early in corona today, Shawn is a good man to get me taken care of only days away from the weekend! I know he will hook it up and the weekend will be great.

Rubths
05-26-2002, 05:05 PM
Well as you can see by the date of this post im back from the river early. I put the boat in the water saterday morning and it was still running like shit, even after taking it to mobile marine shawn and having him go through it for 2 days http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif? I drove up river about 5 miles to one of the sand bars and partied all day, headed back down and got about 1 mile and had a rod come loose and put several holes in the oil pan. It seems there was a problem with one of the cylenders getting water and thats why it would run ok out of water but when in the water it put out the flame to that cylender so it felt like the motor was missing. From the looks of things the motor is completly toast and im not a happy camper with mobil marine!! My exact words to shawn when I droped it off " Im not a rich guy but I dont want to have any problems this weekend so if this motor needs any at all, I want it done"! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/confused.gif

1HOTGMCJET
05-26-2002, 06:40 PM
VERY sorry to hear about your trouble, but in this guy's defense, there are a LOT of things that could have been wrong that he may not have had a chance to detect during the time he had it - there are a NUMBER of ways that this type of failure can occur and there isn't one of us that hasn't had this (or another) type of "surprise" catastrophic failure http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif - for sure, it does SUCK, but find out what happened and do whatever you can to avoid it happening again - Good Luck! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Rubths
05-27-2002, 07:18 AM
Already have the motor torn down and found the problem. If the boat would have been ran with water going through the motor he would have found it was dumping water into a cylender giving it that rough idle I complained about! Looks like it was a small leak at first just enough water to kill the spark to that cylender but got alot worse real quick and was flooding that cylender with water, so much water that the piston couldnt move it out the exhaust fast enough and the rod went the other way when the piston could not come up.
I took the boat to mobile marine so this kind of thing would be detected before I had a major engine failure. I think I did everything I could to make sure the boat was in top shape.
Im sure he is a capable mechanic but it is very easy to see that all he did was change the oil and do some tuning to the motor and called it good.

jordanpaulk
05-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Sounds like something a simple leak down test on each cylinder would have uncovered.

flat broke
05-27-2002, 10:41 AM
rubths,
Sorry to hear about your weekend. As stated a simple leakdown, possibly just a complression test would have found this problem. Something that should have beend done if you were having the motor "checked out". Hopefully the crank is okay and the block didn't take too bad of a beating. Perhaps you can get her back together in time to enjoy as much summer as possible. Let us know what happens, both with mobile marine, and with your rebuild. There's tons of info in here, so if you have questions, just ask. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

wsm9808
05-27-2002, 07:32 PM
heck, I would be pissed at the guy you bought it from(he might have known), not the mechanic. Now, if the mechanic had checked it out before you bought it and told you it was all good, well, that might be different.
It sucks breaking at the lake, but either way, you needed a motor, wheather he found the problem last week or you found it this weekend, it still = $$$. Without an on the water test, I dout many mechanics would have caught that(Did you test drive it before you bought?). I buy cars and boats for a little lot I run on the side, sometimes you get screwed. You just cant catch every problem with every car every time.
Good luck with your project,I'll bet you will love your boat when you get it working right.

Rubths
05-27-2002, 07:42 PM
Tore the motor completly down and it looks like the whole motor is wasted. The motor is on its way to a shop in san diego to see if anything is salvagable. The rod went through a water jacket and parts of the piston took out one of the heads as well as spread metal frags all over the engine, and just one more thing to frustrate me further was the oil filter that was just changed was half a turn loose and leaking oil. I did find something interesting though when I pulled the intake manafold off, under the belly of the intake manafold there is a NOS cheater system plumed with all the nosels.
As far as mobile marine goes, he wont be getting any business references from me!

Rubths
05-27-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by wsm9808:
heck, I would be pissed at the guy you bought it from(he might have known), not the mechanic. Now, if the mechanic had checked it out before you bought it and told you it was all good, well, that might be different.
It sucks breaking at the lake, but either way, you needed a motor, wheather he found the problem last week or you found it this weekend, it still = $$$. Without an on the water test, I dout many mechanics would have caught that(Did you test drive it before you bought?). I buy cars and boats for a little lot I run on the side, sometimes you get screwed. You just cant catch every problem with every car every time.
Good luck with your project,I'll bet you will love your boat when you get it working right.
Your wrong there, a few simple checks and the mechanic would have found a head gastet leaking and it would not have cost me a motor! The boat had sat for over a year and that concerned me, so I took it to mobile marine to go through it and make sure it was tight. I dont know where your getting your motors but where im from a head gastet is alot cheaper than a complete motor!

wsm9808
05-27-2002, 09:47 PM
I'm not trying to be argumentative, belittle your problem or suggest your point of view is invalid. I'm simply speeking from a differant point of view. I've built engines for a living for 25 years and have seen extensive damage done to engines because people keep driving after a problem starts. When you have a flat, you stop and fix it or it distroys the tire, but when an engine starts to have problems its OK to keep going? Your mechanic might have missed a problem, but your the one that ran it till it broke. Just because some guy puts air in your flat tire and says its OK doesnt mean you will keep driving if it goes flat again 5 miles down the road, does it?
I'm not picking on you or suggesting anything bad about you, and it sucks what happened to you, and I dont blame you for not wanting to use that mechanic anymore,you have no reason to trust him now. It is just my opinion that it is not the mechanics fault you blew the engine, you knew you still had a problem and kept going, we have all been there, including myself.
Good luck to you and I hope I have some input that will help you out on some future posts.

Rubths
05-28-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by wsm9808:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, belittle your problem or suggest your point of view is invalid. I'm simply speeking from a differant point of view. I've built engines for a living for 25 years and have seen extensive damage done to engines because people keep driving after a problem starts. When you have a flat, you stop and fix it or it distroys the tire, but when an engine starts to have problems its OK to keep going? Your mechanic might have missed a problem, but your the one that ran it till it broke. Just because some guy puts air in your flat tire and says its OK doesnt mean you will keep driving if it goes flat again 5 miles down the road, does it?
I'm not picking on you or suggesting anything bad about you, and it sucks what happened to you, and I dont blame you for not wanting to use that mechanic anymore,you have no reason to trust him now. It is just my opinion that it is not the mechanics fault you blew the engine, you knew you still had a problem and kept going, we have all been there, including myself.
Good luck to you and I hope I have some input that will help you out on some future posts.
Ok, I take a boat in for work becuase it has a rough idle and not running well, I get the boat back with a rough idle and I am told by shawn to have fun with it for the weekend and to bring it back after and he will fix the idle problem, basicly I was told everything was ok and the idle problem wont hurt the motor. As far as running it till it died the motor is covered and the exhaust runs out the back, I couldnt hear any problems till the boat died. If I had heard something I would have stopped!

HAVASU DCB
05-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Rubths-Sorry to hear on the problem but he has keeps my $35000.00 flawless with no problems what so ever, this is why he was recommended to you. How many times had you taken the boat out on the lake before you let him work on it?

HAVASU DCB
05-29-2002, 03:22 PM
OPPS
Rubths-Sorry to hear on the problem but he has keeps my $35000.00 motor flawless with no problems what so ever, this is why he was recommended to you. How many times had you taken the boat out on the lake before you let him work on it?

HAVASU DCB
05-29-2002, 03:28 PM
rubths-have you driven a jet boat before? The first jet boat I had I was in the water for a half hour before I hit a wake and caught air, didn't let off in time and over-reved it and through a rod. Very easy to do in a jet boat. Just a thought

Rubths
05-29-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by HAVASU DCB:
rubths-have you driven a jet boat before? The first jet boat I had I was in the water for a half hour before I hit a wake and caught air, didn't let off in time and over-reved it and through a rod. Very easy to do in a jet boat. Just a thought
Im not saying he isnt a capable mechenic, he just didnt do the job I paid him to do and it cost me a motor. Im an honest guy and if I ****ed up I would be the first to say so but in this case I paid money to make sure the motor was solid and not just change the plugs, oil and check the timing and call it good. This would have been an easy detection for a guy like him if he would have just ran the motor with water circulation though the system. Shawn is a nice guy and a very reputable mechanic with great skills but if he didnt have time to do a good inpection he should have said so and not taken on the job!
Right now im bumming cuase I had several river trips planned for the next few weeks that I cant make now and im looking for a new motor.