PDA

View Full Version : Who's Using Edelbrock Carbs?

Wet Dream
07-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Just curios who's using them and what do you think about them? My neighbor seems to think thats the way to go, over a Holley.

Tom Foolery
07-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Don't know about the edelbrock. But i think if I were to replace my Holley I'd go with a demon.

Back To Havasu
07-08-2003, 04:38 PM
I agree. Demon is the way to go if they make a marine carb. I have had two Edelbrocks on my street machine, and haven't liked them. Holly is also very good, easy to tune, and will deliver better performance than and Edelbrock. :)

waterfn
07-08-2003, 04:44 PM
I use 2 500 edelbrocks on my 455 and have no problem with them, I used to run a holly 4780 dp and always had idle problems, and it would run lean on a few cylinders

Cas
07-08-2003, 05:09 PM
Back To Havasu:
Holly is also very good, easy to tune, and will deliver better performance than and Edelbrock. :) I disagree with that one. Edelbrocks are a real good carb, just misunderstood. Holleys are a lazy man's way to go just because they're easy to work on...in most cases.
Once you learn to tune an Edelbrock/Carter, you will get every bit the preformance out of them. Personally, I think you can more finely tune the Edelbrocks.
All that is based purely on lake boat applications and personal experiences.
Cas <----Lazy Man nowadays

Checkmate1
07-08-2003, 05:10 PM
I prefer the Edelbrock over the Holley for the simple fact that the Holleys have the gaskets that hate to sit over the winter and will dry out and leak. My engine builder told me that if I want reliability go with Edelbrock. If I want more hp, go with the Holley. :)

oldphart
07-09-2003, 04:36 PM
I did back to back tests with a 750 edelbrock vs a 750 4150 holley. The edelbrock was good for 2 less gal per hr. of fuel usage but was not as crisp or responsive as the holley. mabe that was just the difference in vacume secondarys vs mechanical. anyway I put the holley back on

1tricky1
07-09-2003, 05:09 PM
I run 2 Edelbrock 750's. Paid 207 ea. brand new. Ran perfect right out of the box. Rod and jet changes are easy with no fuel spillage. I've made changes right out on the water in minutes. Not to say there's anything wrong with Holley, they are great carbs. But for the price and ease of use, Edelbrocks are great.

Hallett19
07-09-2003, 06:49 PM
I had an edelbrock ..... for a month, ended up rebuilding my Holley and giving the edelbrock to my neighbor. It sucked so bad !!

wineguy069
07-10-2003, 10:09 PM
I have a 1410 and just bravely took the top off.... Quite easy actually.. cleaned everything and sucked the junk sitting at the bottom of each bowl out... ran very good after...
I must say that this is the only marine carb I have experience with but so far so good...(although it hasn't gotten me laid yet)...

Taylorman
07-12-2003, 08:10 PM
I run 2 edelbrock 600's and love them. Took them out of the box and cranked right up and have not changed a thing. If you are not good at tuning Holley's, you better not f with them cause your shit will not run. My friend has a Holley and was not adjusted right and his boat would not run for nothing. If you know your shit about carbs and know how to adjust them, holleys make more power. I love the Edelbrocks cause they are turn key and dont have all the adjustments like a holley has.

victorfb
07-12-2003, 08:32 PM
havnt run the edelbrocks on the boat, but in the motorhome (440 dodge), 67 camaro SS350 (performer RPM intake) they work great. didnt have to touch em. i do love holley's and run a 750 vacume secondary on the 455 olds. and its been working great aswell. i guess i just have good luck with carbs. now if i can just get this edelbrock multi point to work right on the 502 in the duelly id be a happy guy. Damn fuel injection.

77468sleekcraft
07-13-2003, 04:08 PM
I RAN A EDELBROCK FOR A COUPLE DAYS ON MY CAR AND THAT WAS ALL I NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT THAT,THE HOLLEY WAS BACK ON IT AND MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.... :D

ezstriper
07-16-2003, 03:18 AM
I RUN BOTH CARBS SET-UPS, I THINK THE HOLLEY HAS A SLIGHT H/P ADVANTAGE, BUT WITH THE POWER VALVE ISSUES THEY CAN BE A PAIN AT TIMES. I HAVE RUN A PAIR OF CARTERS(BASICLY EDELBROCK) ON A 671 BLOWM S/B STREET CAR AND ONCE I GOT THEM TUNED THE CAR WAS AWSOME, IDLED GREAT HAD GREAT RESPONSE AND ECONOMY. I AM JUST PUTTING MY STATBUCK JET BACK TOGETHER WITH A MILD 468 BB/C OVAL PORT WITH A WEIAND TUNNEL RAM W/600'S EDELBROCKS, HAVE HAD IT RUNNING BUT NOT TUNED THEM YET(STILL IN PAINT SHOP,YOU KNOW HOW PAINT SHOPS ARE)WENT WIRH EDELBROCKS FOR DRIVABILITY, ECONOMY AND ONCE YOU GET THEM DIALED IN YOU DON'T HAVE TO SCREW WITH THEM QUITE AS MUCH AS THE HOLLEYS, IN MY OPINION
GOOD LUCK, ROB....