PDA

View Full Version : GOT FUEL?

corporatejet
06-23-2003, 03:07 PM
This is my problem, please help. I have a BB Chevy that’s had a persistent fuel starvation problem when the secondaries kick in. My setup began with a carter electric fuel pump hooked to a Weber four barrel. I do have a fuel pressure gauge. Max pressure with this setup at idle was 5psi. Now I have a carter mechanical rated up to 8 psi. I thought this would fix the problem. Max pressure at idle is 6 psi. Everything is fine when the primaries are on – psi around 4-5. As soon as the secondaries open the pressure goes to zero and the rpms drop. It’s like the carb fuel bowls empty and there’s now fuel. I let up on the gas and a second latter the pressure goes right back up to 6 psi. Should the fuel pressure ever go to zero? What would a typical psi be when the secondaries open? Could I be running way too rich? How could I trouble shoot this before the summer is over? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

06-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Fuel pressure should never drop at any rpm or load. You have a problem with the pump, fuel line, filter, p/u or all of the above.

corporatejet
06-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Quadruple Digit Club
Thanks, do you have any suggestions? What's p/u?

dossangers
06-23-2003, 04:17 PM
had the same problem it was the fuel filter check all the way back to the tank!

wideopen545
06-23-2003, 05:13 PM
change to the .120 nozzle it comes in the strip kit your not getting enough fuel 8 psi all the time on my dual 750s

Squirtcha?
06-23-2003, 05:38 PM
I was plagued by a similar problem earlier this year. My fix was a larger fuel pump due to a pressure drop, although that wasn't it entirely. Still had the problem after installing the new pump. I ended up getting a set of Moroso jet extensions and notched floats. I have a Holley and don't know squat about Webers, but it sure fixed my problem.
I'd think ya definitely need to sort out that fuel pressure drop first and foremost though.
[ June 23, 2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]