PDA

View Full Version : loosing oil in my 460

79Hawaiian
06-11-2002, 03:48 PM
I have noticed my 460 is using oil. It was rebuilt 9 years ago but really has not had that many hours on it. It is pretty much as stock motor. I burned 20 gals of gas and lost 1/2 quart of oil. There is no oil in the bottom of the boat. The plugs are clean, no evedence the oil passing by the rings. The boat runs nice and smooth. It does not smoke. The only thing I can think of is oil passing into the cooling water and passing out the exhaust. I installed a high volume oil pump during the rebuild. My gauge has always showed 100+ lbs of oil pressure (that is as far as the guage goes). When running in my driveway connected to the hose I see the blueish rainbow of oil on the ground.
Anyone suggest where to start looking? Think my high oil pressure is causing an internal leak?

06-11-2002, 05:51 PM
It is possible for a oil gallery to develop a small crack and let some oil out thru the cooling system...look at it this way, you never have to change the oil, it does its own oil changes.

Hallett19
06-11-2002, 06:46 PM
I noticed if I go easy on my beast (BBF 460) it takes no oil, but if I am really hard on it, it burns some oil, I can even smell it, yummy http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

david laxton
06-12-2002, 04:43 AM
I do not think you have a big thing going on. May just be rotted valve stem seals. Just pop off a valve cover and take a look.

mister460
06-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Sounds like you have a leak between an oil passage and coolant passage. I'd do a leak down test on your cooling system. Kinda hard but if you be creative it shouldn't be too hard.