View Full Version : salt water jet how long will it last!!!

johncusi
07-30-2002, 02:38 PM
any tips on how too maintain a Burkley pump that is going to be run in salt water (like barrings or seals) any help about any salt water jet boats would be great.

79Hawaiian
07-30-2002, 07:39 PM
I saw this in a previous thread, the concern I think is pumping salt into your block without a heat exchanger. Jet drives will ALWAYS be more trouble free than an I/O (less moving parts, less bearings, less seals). I don't know if there are jet setups using heat exchangers.

Tahiti Owner
07-30-2002, 08:44 PM
I have used my jet in the ocean a few times but i always flush it out after each use...i have a disconnect where i can hook up a garden hose and flush it without running it...i have not run it too many times but boy what a difference in the way it behaves in the salt compared with the fresh water

diggler
07-31-2002, 06:12 AM
Tahiti Owner:
i have not run it too many times but boy what a difference in the way it behaves in the salt compared with the fresh waterHow does it behave in salt water?

AGGRESSOR JETS
07-31-2002, 08:25 AM
johncusi:
any tips on how too maintain a Burkley pump that is going to be run in salt water (like barrings or seals) any help about any salt water jet boats would be great.You want to make sure you have annodes-for sacrafice. we make some in zink which are small and can be grounded to most any bolt to the pump below waterline.Dave

VanDeano
07-31-2002, 05:05 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/07270009[1].JPG
1978 25' Hawaiian Daycrusier
For the last 5yrs I have probably taken my boat out at least 25x in the ocean, and have not had a problem. Just have to make sure you flush out your engine and rinse every thing off.
I also pour a couple ounces of MARVELOUS MYSTERY in through the garden hose the last few seconds of the flush.
But there is one thing that I can not seem to protect no matter what I do, and that is my trailer. No matter how much I rinse it, paint it, and spray it down with some kind of oil the salt just eats it up.........just my .02 cents

Torino Jet
07-31-2002, 06:15 PM
I run in salt now, and haven't had a problem. Like Tahit said, though, it does run a little different. My boat seems a little more sluggish in salt. It may be from the thicker water, or maybve just in my head, I don't know.

johncusi
08-02-2002, 04:58 AM
thanks guys for the info no lakes around here,and i like too show up all thoses dam donzi.