PDA

View Full Version : gas tanks

Danhercules
08-21-2003, 11:59 AM
I have to take out one of my tanks. I have aluminum duel rear tanks. How is the sender for the gauge in the tank? Do I rotate the tank to get the sender out? I have to pull the tank out the front like a torpido to get the tank out, but I need to disconnect it 1st. any suggestions?

SoCal Power
08-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Assuming the tanks are round and mounted in brackets.
Try this:
Depends how much room there is between the top of the tank and bottom of the gunwale. Sending unit has a small diameter (.125" approx) arm with a float @ 90 degrees on the end . The float is about 1" dia x 2.5" long. Usually you can remove the self tapping screws on the top of the unit, lift the unit up and then forward (or backwards depending on orientation of the arm) and parallel with the tank until float contacts the inside of the hole in the top of tank. Then swing the unit towards the center of the boat and rotate 1/4 turn so the float will come out of the hole. Think of it as pulling an L-shaped object out of a hole.........That is for one type.
For another type, where float is parallel with the arm, you have to bow the arm as you remove it.
If you have limited clearance, then you have to remove the fill and fill-hose and rotate the tank inward.
Good Luck
db

Danhercules
08-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks, but..............
I had to take the whole tank out, so I just cut the wires, A lot easier, Now I can look at it to see how it works, Thanks

MikeF
08-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Remove battery from boat before doing any fuel tank related work eek! . Any type of spark could make a BIG BOOM!
Stay safe :D .

blown428fe
08-21-2003, 07:27 PM
danhercules, do you have a manufacturs name on your tanks? i want to buy aluminum tanks and dont know where to look.
thanks mike

Squirtcha?
08-21-2003, 08:21 PM
Here's a link to lots of different fuel tanks made for boats by Imco.
Imco Marine fuel tanks (http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/tanks.html)
Both in stainless and aluminum. I bought a used set last year. They were stainless and made in 1978. They work great, feed evenly and don't leak. That's a pretty good testament I think. Twenty five years old and still hangin in there. They look like this.
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/images/013.jpg
[ August 21, 2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]