PDA

View Full Version : Help, need more speed Captain!!!

sdmarkus
05-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Well, Finally got the boat finished and took her out to Martinez for the maiden voyage. All and all things went rather well, just a few minor things that need tweaking. I've got a Jacuzzi pump with a built 455 olds and wasn't that impresed with the power or speed. The engine sounds great and I was takin it easy, but I know she's being held back. I would like a place diverter, I'm sure that would help part of the problem(stock nozzle is pretty big). I'm wondering what impeller I have and how to choose the right one for what I'm running. Does this sound about right for a stock WJ(?) pump? Hows the install on a place diverter and new impeller. Thanks for your imput.
Mark

beached1
05-30-2002, 09:13 PM
If you decide to get a diverter, you will need to bore the nozzle out of your bowl. If not, you will have two nozzles in line. The water will come out of the bowl/nozzle then expand into the diverter adapter, then through the diverter nozzile. Don't get me wrong, the place Diverter will be a great improvement to your boat, but you will need to bore the bowl to make it work properly.

Wet Dream
05-31-2002, 07:24 AM
What do you have this setup in? What speeds are you running? What mods have you done to the engine? What rpms are you getting out of the engine? Exhaust?
My 455 w/ Berk JC, and Jetovator, 4900 rpm and runs like a bat out of hell. Its in a 19' Hallett (heavy).
[This message has been edited by Wet Dream (edited May 31, 2002).]

mud duck
05-31-2002, 08:47 AM
Wet Dream, when you say "a bat out of hell", what speed is that? You may have already told me, but I can not recall it.
You know what they say; the second thing to go is the memory, and I can't remember what the first thing was.
[This message has been edited by mud duck (edited May 31, 2002).]

sdmarkus
05-31-2002, 09:05 AM
bore out the nozzle eh, how hard is that? I was hoping this wouldn't be to much of a hassle. I've got a 19' Waikiki, logs with risers. The motor was just done, milled/decked, port/polish, big valve heads, cam, sleeved at .60 over. I took out the speedo, and has some issues with throttle linkage so wasn't reving much past 3500-4000. Which was actually a good thing since the engine had zero hours on it. Thanks for the imput.
Mark

beached1
05-31-2002, 09:00 PM
If you don't have access to a good sized lathe then take the bowl to a good pump shop. I did mine myself. I took a sawsall to the nozzle at first. Then, filled the slots next to the nozzle area with alum weld. Then chucked it up and cut it open to the vanes and back till about 1/4" lip. Leaving me with the stock o ring seal for the Place adapter. It's easier than you think. Here's the only pic I've got of it. If you want more angles, just e-mail me.
http://www.beached1.homestead.com/files/Pump2.jpg
You will not be happy with the adapter unless you do this to your WJ.

beached1
05-31-2002, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah, I should also mention that you will want to remove your stinger plug (only if you are going to use a diverter and bore the bowl of course) and replace it with a small brass plug for the bowl grease. Any hardware store will have it. The bowl comes off fairly easy. Just rermove the transom adapter and the bolts that attach the bowl to the intake and it's off.

Wet Dream
06-01-2002, 05:44 AM
A modest 65.

mrgoslow
06-01-2002, 05:58 AM
need more power! my wj runs 70-72 w/gps depending on day/water.
but really, the jacuzzi bowl just wont flow the water that big intake and suction piece feed it. dominator bowl/impellar are next.
.02 worth