PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley shaft material: 17-4??

jwbbuck
06-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Is there any way to identify the high-performance 17-4 stainless steel shafts? I've got one that needs some work and it's probably not worth it unless it's the hot shot material.

Jetmugg
06-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by jwbbuck:
Is there any way to identify the high-performance 17-4 stainless steel shafts? I've got one that needs some work and it's probably not worth it unless it's the hot shot material.
The best way (and only sure-fire way) is to have someone in the commercial laboratory, foundry or steel industry perform a chemistry test for you. A lot of these guys will have spectrometers that do not require you to cut or remove any material in order to test it. If you talk nice to them, they might even test it for free if you bring them some donuts. When I managed a foundry and lab, I would help people with all kinds of oddball parts and materials. I preferred plain glazed donuts, also.
SteveM.

jweeks123
06-07-2002, 11:22 PM
As best I can recall, the stock berkeley shaft has no markings on the splined end and it is not magnetic. the high perf shaft is stamped AQ on the splined end and it is magnetic.
jw

riodog
06-07-2002, 11:59 PM
You got it backwards!

schiada96
06-08-2002, 02:04 AM
17-4 is slightley magnetic "marsistic"

Jetmugg
06-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Actually, the word you are probably looking for is "martensitic", and 17-4 PH is not a martensitic alloy. It is an austenitic, precipitation hardening alloy. Martensitic stainless steels are typically in the 400 series (410, 420, 440 stainless). These alloys are magnetic. I don't know for sure, but the standard pump shafts are most likely 410 SS. 17-4 PH is slightly magnetic (having an austenitic matrix), but the magnetism test is not enough to positively determine whether the shaft is 17-4 PH or not. Even if you have to pay for it, a lab test shouldn't cost more than $25.
SteveM

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-10-2002, 09:08 AM
Great Input! What family is the 300 series in- Dave.

froggystyle
06-10-2002, 10:08 AM
I know that this is a junior varsity method of testing, and probably doesn't apply to this particular test, but you can tell a lot of different types of metals from one another by the way they spark when contacted by a grinder. Doesn't take much, but this was a required bit of knowledge when I welded for a living in the Navy. If anyone is interested, with a little digging I could find the diagrams that describe accurately how to "spark test" different alloys and types of metals.

Jetmugg
06-10-2002, 10:43 AM
Dave:
The 300 Series SS alloys are austenitic. They are primarily non-magnetic, but can have a slight magnetic draw depending on thow much ferrite is present. The 300 series alloys cannot be hardened by heat treatment. These alloys are good for corrosion resistance, but they are not as strong as the 400 series, Precipitation Hardening alloys, or many "plain carbon" steels.

Shockwave
06-11-2002, 05:58 AM
Jetmugg, you are giving me flashbacks from a particularly wicked college class I had in engineering materials-
HB

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-12-2002, 10:20 AM
I thin if you check aqua met was Berkeleys Race Shaft & I don't think thy made a 17-4 shaft at all. Dave

Licketty Split
06-12-2002, 11:06 AM
This got me thinking again, why not use tube stock? It has all the tortional resistance of solid stock and weighs less http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif I remember a post by someone who said he could mechien one I wonder how much it would cost?

wsuwrhr
06-12-2002, 02:31 PM
You can gun drill the shaft up to half the diameter. 1" shaft-1/2 hole. You will lose some of the materials strength, but gain a serious weight reduction. I am doing it to the 17-4 shaft I machined for my Berkuzzi swap.
Brian