PDA

View Full Version : RUTTERS

77468sleekcraft
02-16-2003, 04:57 PM
WOW I HAD NO IDEA THAT MADE A DIFFERANCE,I AM RUNNING A JE PUMP SO WHAT KIND OF A DIFFERANCE WILL IT MAKE WITH IT GONE.. MORE SPEED I HOPE.PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE EXPEREINCED.. eek!

1Bahnerjet
02-16-2003, 05:17 PM
A rudder can be handy. Say your heading down the lake at 50mph you get to end of lake and need to make a 180 degee turn, your in a jet just speed up a little but wait the motor just died (no gas?) now with a rudder you can still make some of that turn, without rudder you can make none of that turn unless the shoreline knocks you around!
===========
Drive what you own and like what you Drive

JetBoatRich
02-16-2003, 05:55 PM
I agree using the walls of the river to turn is a bad idea, I've seen it done and it can scratch your boat.

HBjet
02-16-2003, 05:58 PM
You will not notice/feel any performance difference with or without your rudder. If your going 50mph and you reach the end of the lake and your motor dies and you end up beaching the boat, then you where going to fast and to close to the shore to begin with.
Next time your out boating and the conditions are safe, run your boat at 50mph and let off the gas and see how fast it slows comming off plan to an idle.
HBjet

1Bahnerjet
02-16-2003, 06:06 PM
Jet boaters tend to turn late and run close to shore mainly because they can. wink
================

TRG
02-16-2003, 06:34 PM
I bought mine from place for 74.00, if anyone wants it , make an offer it was used for about an hour or so

77charger
02-16-2003, 07:07 PM
i had the large place rudder on my jet.All i can say it sure did help the pump is a jac golden eagle with an energizer kit and before the place diverter the boat would get unstable easily(it also had the intake skags missing)after having new skags welded on and adding a diverter and the big rudder my boat went strait and even did so after shutting the motor off.I havent pulled the rudder off to test it but i cant say wheter the skags helped or the rudder it could be a combo of both i just dont knoe all i know is that it can turn on a dime and goes strait and feels more stable.I have been told that my rudder can cause a loss of mph(it is the large rudder)but 3 mph for stability i'll keep the stability.

rivercrazy
02-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Probably depends on the boat. My former 21 daycruiser with the large rudder would turn without being on the gas. As good as a sterndrive, no but it was effective...

Mohavekid
02-16-2003, 08:01 PM
How useful they are depends on the hull.
My old Challenger did'nt have a rudder, and it never slid in turns unless I was doing something I should'nt have. Even then, it did'nt slide, it swapped ends in a real big hurry. Did that one time and learned my lesson after breaking 2 ribs. OUCH!!
My current Sanger slides big time at higher speeds and sharper turns without a rudder. I don't mind it, but it makes my wife kind of nervous when she drives.
I don't notice any difference in speed with or without.

malcolm
02-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Jet boaters tend to turn late and run close to shore mainly because they can. Maybe those little wanna be jet boats. You know, the ones that don't even have reverse!

1Bahnerjet
02-18-2003, 01:05 PM
Mohavekid:
How useful they are depends on the hull.
My old Challenger did'nt have a rudder, and it never slid in turns unless I was doing something I should'nt have. Even then, it did'nt slide, it swapped ends in a real big hurry. Did that one time and learned my lesson after breaking 2 ribs. OUCH!!
My current Sanger slides big time at higher speeds and sharper turns without a rudder. I don't mind it, but it makes my wife kind of nervous when she drives.
I don't notice any difference in speed with or without. And anyway isn't the sliding what makes a jet boat so damn much FUN! kind of like a Harley Flat Tracker Sliding on Dirt :D wink :cool:
=========================

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
02-19-2003, 08:13 AM
My '72 Sdewinder corners like I'm on rails with a rudder on my Berkeley jg pump. I'm keeping mine on. Some times on Boston Harbor there are some looney boaters to get away from fast. Just think how nutty Boston drivers are on the street, then add a couple of beers to the equation!