PDA

View Full Version : First boat (project)

Mike G
05-07-2003, 12:06 PM
I just picked up my first boat! It's a project boat, but the hull and interior are in great shape! 20 ft '74 Tahiti, Olds 455 (yeah - I know), Berkeley jet. The engine is out of the boat right now but the owner claims it runs great, that he pulled it because there was water in the oil but it turned out to just be the intake gasket (I think he said intake? It was not the head gasket). Anyway, he replaced the gasket but lost his place to store it and just wanted to get rid of it. $800! For that price I can afford to do some engine work. :-)
Anyway, here's some pictures: http://www.cataclysm.net/~mgolden/boatsmall.jpg
http://www.cataclysm.net/~mgolden/interiorsmall.jpg
http://www.cataclysm.net/~mgolden/jet-small.jpg
http://www.cataclysm.net/~mgolden/engine-small.jpg

HalletDave
05-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Mike,
$800.00, good score. :cool: Now get busy, we expect to see it on the water soon. :D
HD

HavasuDreamin'
05-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Definately a good deal........although I would recommend the 455 as an anchor and replacing it with a BBC. wink :D

Bow Tie Omega
05-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Good buy. Do not worry about the nay sayers. You will be fine with the Olds if you just want a cruiser. If you want to go faster ( > 65 mph) then a Bow Tie is probably the way to go. Once again, good score and keep us posted of its progress...Joe

Mike G
05-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Heh. I'm workin' on it. Hopefully I'll have it in the water by the end of the month. Anybody have any idea how much that should weigh, including the trailer? I'm gonna be towing it behind a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee.
Be prepared for millions of dumb questions from me! Lol!

Hallett
05-07-2003, 08:33 PM
NICE BOAT JUST NEEDS A LITTLE WORK THATS
WHAT MAKES IT FUN. WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE.

sidewound
05-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Nice lookin hull from what I see. Add motor go boatin. Blow it up, spend money, go boatin. Wanna go faster?
Spend more money go boatin. Faster yet you say?
Never fast enogh you'll finally say!
Bust out the credit card or checkbook, bust some knuckles, and in a year you'll be right here with everybody else, still lookin for answers,
MORE SPEED PLEASE???? YOUR SICK!!!!!!!
Peace Man
CESAR

DirtyBob
05-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Congrats! That's a good deal. My first was a basketcase,paid more than you did, without a motor, and it had a YJ.

v-drive
05-08-2003, 03:49 AM
That's a great deal. Keep it under 5000 RPM's and have a ball. :cool: v-drive
[ May 08, 2003, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: v-drive ]

Squirtcha?
05-08-2003, 06:30 AM
A buddy of mine pulled his 18.5' Kachina Custom with a 4.0 L Jeep. It was no picnic on hills but it did the job for him. He did it for one summer, then bought a Tahoe with a V-8...
Nice find on the project. I echo all the posts that everyone else put up. Above all though..........have fun!

hickz3
05-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Nice score! You shouldn't have a problem with the 4.0L but then again mine's a Grand Cherokee.
I'm towing a 76 Sleekcraft 21 footer with no problem right now. Then again there aren't too many hills around here.

DirtyBob
05-08-2003, 10:08 AM
Mike G:
how much that should weigh, including the trailer? I'm gonna be towing it behind a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee.
I pull a 20.5' mini day cruiser with my '97 S10 4.3L, and it does pretty well. I took it up to Castaic, which has as a few hills on the way, and I averaged 65 MPH with the A/C running. You should be fine. smile_sp

HotHallet
05-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Nice score on the boat. Just needs some TLC. Hey Dirty Bob where do you live in Torrance? I have lived in Torrance since birth. I live off Cabrillo in old Torrance. You should come to our Taco nights at El Paso. I'll let you know when the next one will be.

DirtyBob
05-08-2003, 11:16 PM
HotHallet:
Nice score on the boat. Just needs some TLC. Hey Dirty Bob where do you live in Torrance? I have lived in Torrance since birth. I live off Cabrillo in old Torrance. You should come to our Taco nights at El Paso. I'll let you know when the next one will be. Hey HH,
I know the Ole El Paso oh too well. I live east of you in the "PO" section. I lived on Halldale Ave my whole life. I used to use a fake address on Cabrillo to go to THS! :D It was 1733.
Let me know when you want to hit EP!
What high school did you go to?
[ May 09, 2003, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: DirtyBob ]