PDA

View Full Version : WEENIE ROAST IN MY BOAT

sidewound
07-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Howdy Folks,
(That's how we talk in Iowa ya know)
Well any of you that know me, know I've been workin on my Sidewinder for a year now. The big day of truth was Fri. for my new moto.
Took the boat to work and afterwards went to the builders to fire it and break in the cam.
Well things didn't go quite as planned. The moto fired and would only run for a couple seconds then BIG BALL-O-FLAME out of the carb.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114Sidewinder_super_040-med.jpg
Here I'm heading to extinguish one of many fires. Left it at the shop and just gave up for the weekend. burningm
We dead timed it again and it was right on. Don't know what the hell I got wrong. The builder even dropped the dist. for me so it should be right. Guess I'll find out more next week. For now I think I'm just going to drink heavily. Boat on everybody! :D
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
07-19-2003, 09:25 AM
KEEP AT IT, THESE SIDEWINDERS ARE DEFINATELY WORTH THE TIME IT TAKES TO MAKE EVERYTHING RIGHT!...BILL.

spectratoad
07-19-2003, 06:33 PM
This one had me scared in the thread title. I thought it was another workout thread. Keep pluggin' away. Good luck.

AZKC
07-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Triple double check everything. Probably something simple hang in there Bro :cool:
Chillin the most
KC

sidewound
07-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks Boston, Spectra , AZKC!!!!!!!!
This thing has been kickin my ass for a year. Obviously I'm not givin up but it's been a GIANT pain in the asso! I'll make it work.
CESAR

corlish
07-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Cesar,
If you are sure about the ignition timing, then check the valve lash. When the valves are "tight" it will pop through the carb, catch fire and all of that other stuff. Be carefull with those carb fires ... i have seen them melt boosters even after just a few seconds of flames.
Good Luck
Corey

Wet Dream
07-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Check your plug wires too. I know you said it ran for a little bit, but check it and make sure its right with the firing order.

Hal
07-19-2003, 09:09 PM
If its a chevy my guess would be the dist. is 180* out.

Rexone
07-19-2003, 10:13 PM
check all 3 of the above recommends, they are the most common things that would cause it. most common I would think is the plug wires crossed up. easy to do.

sidewound
07-20-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. :D
I'm just pi$$ed that I forgot to bring the weenie fork. Burnt my finger tryin to get one done. :p
CESAR

sidewound
07-21-2003, 06:28 PM
POS finally fired today. Thank you oh powerfull one!
CESAR

Bajajet
07-22-2003, 05:23 AM
Congrats! It runs. Will you be able to test it this weekend? We may be headed your direction the following weekend if mine still runs! You should have come down Sunday for the boat wrenching marathon. Mine on Saturday and Jeff's on Sunday.
Craig

hack job
07-22-2003, 07:36 AM
sounds like all your work is going to pay off.
good job. cant wait to see some pics of it running. wink

sidewound
07-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks to all here who have given me advice, guidance, and even critisizm.
Without this venue and the people I have met here this project would never have been possible.
OLD GUY, BAJAJET, HACKJOB, WFO DUDE, AZKC, BRENDELLA, and many many others have contributed a wealth of information to this fairly new JETTER after my motor detonation. (I didn't need you till I blew it up!) he he he
The eagerness of people to help has been phenominal. I didn't know a berk from a turd when I came here but that has changed some. I know I have left out MANY names but please know everyones help is VERY appreciated. The older fellas knowledge is overwhelming. So much more to these boats than I ever imagined. When I traded my old sportster for this boat I had no Idea what kind of ride I was in for. I just thought it sounded COOL! I'm goin into our plant shutdown now for 12 hour days for a week so not much progress will be made. I will post up a big "The Dirty Sock Rocks" thread when I do get her goin. Thanks again to all. Wish I lived closer to more jetters. ("WE'RE COOL") JET ON!!!!
CESAR