PDA

View Full Version : help motor trouble

RaginRedneck
03-23-2003, 07:38 PM
I took the boat out today to run it for a little while before we take it out to laughlin this week and I blew a spark plug and siezed the motor. I just had it rebuilt last year. But the guy that did it is no where to be found. It's a 455. I live in El Cajon, ca. Does anybody have an idea on someone to check it out. After my last experience we are kind of gun shy.

skeepwerkzaz
03-23-2003, 10:16 PM
"I blew a spark plug and siezed the motor"
Could you please specify a little here? :D

Hallett19
03-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Ralph Wiggum, what a little numbskull, just like his old man .... Blowing a spark plug and siezing it doesnt sound like something I have ever heard of. Is the motor siezed up ? can you turn it with a wrench on the dampner ? Something could be bound up on the flywheel, that is a possibility or it could be hydrolocked :rolleyes: Clay, if you had water in there would it blow a spark plug out, maybe if that cylinder sucked some water in at high rpm's ? That is a possibility, if so, you could have bent some valves or bent a rod... ouch. I say do a dimple rebuild and repair whatever was damaged. Rebuilds are easier then you think.

skeepwerkzaz
03-23-2003, 10:45 PM
:) :) Can you imagine the cylinder pressure that would be needed to blow out a spark plug? eek! If that did happen because of a hydraulic type problem, then it it entirely new bottom end time most likely. Which, if you want my opinion, would be cost prohibitive for a 455 Olds. For the same $$$$ you would spend to replace what you have, you could be making more reliable power with a mild BBC. Just a thought!
Aaron- " Thats some nice flutin' boy....." :D

HBjet
03-23-2003, 11:57 PM
RaginRedneck:
I took the boat out today to run it for a little while before we take it out to laughlin this week and I blew a spark plug and siezed the motor. I just had it rebuilt last year. But the guy that did it is no where to be found. It's a 455. I live in El Cajon, ca. Does anybody have an idea on someone to check it out. After my last experience we are kind of gun shy. I got a motor I can sell you. It's a 454 BBC .030 over with a Comp 292H Hydrolic Cam and Roller Rockers. All you would need is a Intake and carb (or two if you go with a tunnel ram)
email me if interested.
HBjet

HM
03-24-2003, 12:12 AM
I blew a spark plug out of my 1835 cc motor in my 67 Baja Bug in 1985. The motor was 12:1 (back in the day of leaded 92). I went to Mexico and ran out of gas - had to put PingMex(PeMex) in the tank. I retarded the timing as much as possible, but the plug blew and the motor seized.
What happened is that so much heat was generated that the head basically melted and the piston welded to the cylinder. So, it does not have to be water in the motor to make a spark plug pop.
I agree, buy a 454.

jet4fun
03-24-2003, 12:07 PM
ok, i am really confused about what you are tryin to say happened here, but just for the hell of it, if i am even remotely close to understanding you then do the following...
before you do anything else, or dismantle anything, remove all 8 sparkplugs (i guess in your case you only have 7 to go?). then make sure you have a fully charged battery and try to crank the motor over...
if it cranks over then see if anything shoots out of the sparkplug holes, if something shoots out then post on here what it was (water etc...) then we can go from there...
if nothing shoots out when it cranks, then check the oil and make sure it looks o.k. and is full, then put in 8 brand new plugs, and if your ignition and fuel system is functioning properly it should start right up...
if it doesnt even crank over, then first make sure the starter is working o.k., also try to crank it by hand using a breaker bar on the front of the crank, if you still cant get it to crank disconnect the driveline to the jet and make sure that something isnt jamming the jet...
if it will not crank over with the jet disconnected and the spark plugs out then you my friend have a MAJOR problem, and my advice to you would be to buy hbjet's motor or any other bbc, and throw in the towel on the oldsmobile thing,,,,,i hope this helps
btw... hbjet, you gettin a new motor??????

RaginRedneck
03-24-2003, 03:11 PM
I was a little pissed when I posted yesterday. So I'll try to explain it alittle better. The spark plug did not blow out of the block. it pre ignited then the motor pinged for about 10 seconds and stoped. I tried to turn it over but nothing. I could hear the starter engage but the motor would not turn over. But everyone seems to say the same thing get rid of the 455. Motors are not my strong point. But I guess it's a guy thing because I don't want to let this thing beat me again. But it sounds like the 454 is the way to go. Thanks for all the info I knew the boards would have some good info.

jet4fun
03-24-2003, 10:55 PM
well, follow the steps i listed above, and let us know what happened