PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bunks

Coach
07-07-2003, 09:02 PM
I need to replace my trailer bunks and wanted to know if you do anything special to the wood. I was planning on buying some 2X4's and bunk carpet and replacing the old bunks while at the river. Before I put the bunk carpet on should I treat the wood with anything? Will it help keep the wood from rotting out faster?

Johnwithjm
07-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Be sure to use stainless staples they won`t rust.
[ July 07, 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Johnwithjm ]

Cas
07-07-2003, 09:13 PM
I used pressutre treated material but only because I had some left over from a job. There are some wood preservatives you could use but if you think about it, bunks on boats last for many years anyway. The thing that would be best is to put a sealant on the threads of the bolts holding the bunks on. Those holes are the most likely the place for the rot to start.
Whatever you do, don't use a sealant on the wood. The wood you most likely will buy will have moisture in it. Using a sealant will only seal that moisture in and can cause the wood to rot from the inside out.....same holds true for anyone building a deck. Wait for the wood to dry out before sealing.

Coach
07-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Cas good call on letting the wood dry out. I think I will go with the pressure treated wood on the center bunks, and forget treating the wood.
Has anyone used carrage bolts instead of the lag bolts? If so how did you counter sink the bolts so the don't spin when you install the nut?

oldphart
07-08-2003, 02:33 AM
you dont countersink for the square part you just pull er in with the nut. counter sink slightly to sink the head

Squirtcha?
07-08-2003, 06:07 AM
I used carriage bolts on mine and didn't have to do anything special to keep em from spinning. As they were tightened they'd just grip into the wood on their own. Didn't do any countersinking either. Tightened enough that the heads just buried themselves into the carpet.
[ July 08, 2003, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Nubbs
07-08-2003, 06:26 AM
I just redid my bunks using wood from home depot. I bought some stainless nuts and bolts through McMaster-Carr. I countersunk the carriage bolts using a spade bit. Then I drilled through the remainder of the wood with a normal bit.

Coach
07-08-2003, 07:00 AM
Thanks for all the good info. New bunks are on the way!!!! :)

Cas
07-08-2003, 08:13 AM
All good advice although I put the carraige bolts under the carpet. It's little more work but I didn't want the possibility of a metal to fiberglass conflict.....metal usually wins.

Squirtcha?
07-08-2003, 09:11 AM
I had the same concerns Cas. However they ended up being unwarranted. No contact on mine. I used a real good grade of thick weave outdoor carpeting and the heads of the carriage bolts ended up well below the contact patch of boat/carpet. Not that it would really matter. The bottom of my boat's not in that great of shape anyway.

HotHallet
07-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Coach- Use carriage bolts and countersink the holes from the top of the bunk so they sit well under the top of the wood. I had my bunks covered in Line-X spray on bedliner material before carpeting them to encapsulate the wood and prevent rot. Don't use lag screws-they will just pull out in time.