PDA

View Full Version : 1st day back at the lake and................

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-14-2003, 05:06 PM
I ran the new motor yesterday and she ran good. I even got my temp up from where it was before. The only problems I am having is that my intake manifold rubber gasket isnt sealing up properly. It leaks oil into my bilge area which a little silicone will fix. My other problem is my oil pressure. I get 20 psi while idling(cold) and 40psi running 3000 rpm's(cold). When I run it(3000rpm's) for about 5-7 minutes my oil pressure drops to around 30psi(hot) runnng and about 12-15psi9hot) idling. I need to figure this out. I am running straight 30wt oil with 1 qt of straight 50wt. Should I run straight 50wt oil? Everything is brand new including oil pum,pickup,shaft,etc. I am going back out in the morning and I was thinking about running straight 50wt oil to see if it makes a difference. I need to get the small bugs worked before op6! Other than that she ran good all day. I kept the r's under 3000 for insurance. 396

Jake W
06-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Hey 396 I run 20 50 in mine and never had a problem.But its a FORD.Good luck with it.
Jake

cave
06-15-2003, 02:27 PM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
do you go to Saguaro? What days do you go. I got my popping problem all fixed. Are you going to be there next Sunday 22nd?
cave

Snowboat
06-15-2003, 06:05 PM
Do you know what your clearances are? If they are too much above automotive factory specs you will need a better pump. If you don't want to take it apart, right now, thickening up the oil will work. You must have 10 psi oil pressure for each 1,000 rpms, minimum. I doubt that you will get away with smearing sealant on the outside of your intake leak. When you pull the manifold, eventually, peen the surfaces and silicone with ultrablue, heavy in the corners of the valley. Set the manifold and let it sit for a day, before you trim a little excess, and run it.

Squirtcha?
06-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Glad to hear ya got squared away cave. Since ya got her fixed so quick, I'm assuming that it was something easy..........Glad it wasn't the cam. Had a good time at Bartlett on Friday. It was glass smooth all day long. Saturday was the typical mayhem, but still managed to have a good time.

cave
06-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Squirtcha? Thanks for the ride last summer. It was the #7 exaust gasket. lost 1" of gasket off the rear. Didnt even see it at night. Now she runs so nice. Just found a fuel leak tho. Looks like my Earls o ring at the carb entrance leaks pretty good. Is there a way to take thos apart and put a new O ring in there?
cave

TX Daytona
06-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Hey 396,
If you want a little more oil pressure you can just change the spring in the oil pump, but don't go nuts with it. Chevies don't need real high oil pressure. Keep in mind that the oil pump is driven by the distributor and the more pressure the more wear on the distributor gear. I would recommend that if you have the stock oil pump drive shaft(the shaft that goes from the dist. to the pump),with a plastic sleeve aligning the shaft with the pump, replace it with an aftermarket shaft this all metal. The first time you rebuild and your going to replace the pump anyway, go with a high volume pump, but not a high pressure pump. All of this is, of course, just my humble opinion.