PDA

View Full Version : Fuel guage question?

PussyPusher
04-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Is it normal for both sender leads to go to one guage? If so how does this work? If not what is the proper set-up. How have you set yours up?
PP

Oldsquirt
04-04-2003, 12:50 PM
That's not right and it will not show an accurate reading. The circuit for a fuel gauge should run:
Ign SW------> Gauge Positive---Gauge "S" term---->Sending unit terminal---Sending unit body---> Ground. This is for a single tank/gauge.
For dual tanks you will need a switch installed between gauge and sending units to allow you to switch from one sender to the other. I believe the switch would be a SPDT, aka single pole, dual throw. A DPDT would also work.
[ April 04, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

PussyPusher
04-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the info. I currently have the + to the ignition switch the ground to the battery and one sendig unit to the gauge I was pondering putting in a toggle for the sending units under my dash for easy viewing of both tanks. I was going to go with spdp.
THanks again
PP

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-04-2003, 01:32 PM
I have two guages. Makes the wiring alot easier. No need for a switch. In my opinion better because I always know what's going on with both tanks and don't have to try to hold my beer and flip a damn switch at 60mph. You shouldn't have to ground it to the battery either. The tanks should be already grounded. Just ground it to the tanks. less wire=less headache

roostwear
04-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Here's a link to PDF's from Autometer for gauge wiring. The ground to tank would be any common ground wired to the tank.
http://www.autometer.com/hp/instruction_download/instruction_download.html
[ April 04, 2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: roostwear ]