PDA

View Full Version : another dumbass question...

FasterNU
09-19-2003, 08:53 AM
tryin to learn so don't F with me!
OK, so what does "full stringer hull" mean? Vs. what, half stringer?
I am eferring to the boat ad below? (looks kinda nice)
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/4/54997674.htm
My guess:
Stringers are the reinforcements inside the boat at the bottom.. kinda like rails? The motor mounts attach to them, no?? Am I right?

BrendellaJet
09-19-2003, 09:12 AM
your on the right track. Full stringers are a good thing...

flat broke
09-19-2003, 09:19 AM
You've got the stringer deal worked out :) In regard to the boat in that add, I'm not 100% sure, but the deck looks like a splash of the old 18 Eliminator bubble. The 18 Eliminator we had ran really well and took a great set. 4k for a BBC setup jet isn't a bad price but the photo is a little on the small side to get any deatail.
Chris

FasterNU
09-19-2003, 09:38 AM
so the advantages of a full stinger would be???
Stronger hull.. resists cracking better?? Can handle more horsepower?
Drawback.... more weight???
just making educated guesses......

hack job
09-19-2003, 09:39 AM
FasterNU:
so the advantages of a full stinger would be???
Stronger hull.. resists cracking better?? Can handle more horsepower?
Drawback.... more weight???
just making educated guesses...... you got it!

572Daytona
09-19-2003, 09:46 AM
One of the biggest problems with the non full length stringer hulls is they tend to develop a "hook" in the bottom over time while sitting on a trailer Basically the front sags which can result in handling problems such as porpoising and tends to drag down the speed since it is harder to get the front out of the water. I would also tend to believe that manufacturers that built full length stringer hulls were more focused on quality which would carry over to other aspects of the boat. Everything else being the same I would always go with the full length stringer hull over the non

FasterNU
09-19-2003, 09:52 AM
572daytona,
Thanks for that added tidbit. I have read about the "hooking" phenomena, and was a bit scared of it.
I'm worried I wouldn't be able to spot something like that... especially since I have no knowledge on hulls etc.
Do you know if a Roger's is a "full stringer"
like this one:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/0/55924210.htm

cyclone
09-19-2003, 10:01 AM
All of Rogers boats are considered full-stringer hulls although the first ones (1971-1972 Cyclone hulls), the stringers ended just in front of the front seats. So i guess you could call those ones 3/4-stringer hulls?

572Daytona
09-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Thanks Cyclone, I was hoping you would answer the Rogers question, I was assuming that they were full stringer hulls.
I'm not an expert on bottoms either but you usually check for hook by running a straight edge along the bottom and see how true it is. But some hook may not be a problem at all and in fact a lot of hulls had hook built in to improve the ride. How much hook is bad is going to vary from boat to boat. You are probably best to go for a ride in whatever you are trying to buy and see how it handles. If it has a diverter make sure you run with the diverter up to make sure there is no porpoise.
Half length stringer boats aren't necessarily bad, I've got a '75 Tahiti that rides just fine at 60+ mph. But if your goals are 80+, I would stick with a proven boat that has been known to handle ok at those speeds.

FasterNU
09-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Im thinking 65mph should be fine. 70 would be awesome. For the amount of money i want to spend(less than 5K) I doubt I'll be in that range.
OK... an ULTRA stupid question. What the hell is "porpoise". Bouncing in and out of the water like a dolphin??
or is it it like when you stick your doo-dad in a girls bootie and she goes EEEHT,ET..EEEHT,ET... EEHT,ET
eek!

Jet City
09-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Yep, its when you stick your doo-dad in and they squeal like a dolphin. Basically, at speed the nose of the boat rises and falls, instead of holding a steady plane. That Crusader looks like it may be a pretty fair deal, alot of good features for $4000. I wouldn't worry about asking stupid questions, must people are helpfull and cool around here, we all started with no experience too.
[ September 19, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Jet City Rebel ]

FasterNU
09-19-2003, 01:00 PM
OK. Next question then. I have noticed some boats with dual carbs, and some with single carbs.
Do you get much more power out of the dual carbs? Are they a lot harder to tune? Considerably more unreliable??
Basically I want feedback as to whether or not to stay away from dual carbs.
Instinct says they will suck a ton more fuel, probably not gain much power except on top.. and would be unreliable and difficult to tune.
Any feedback?????

Mr Twister
09-19-2003, 01:08 PM
For most boats, dual carbs=eye candy. My motor has 2 edelbrocks and it ran a little better with one 830 holley in the last boat.