PDA

View Full Version : 455 to 454

Havasu_Jet_85
07-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Im looking in to buying a 1975 kona with a 455 olds. I'm planning on running that engine for this season, then this winter putting a 454. My question is when or if i get the boat and put the BBC in it will the engine fit up to the old pump. The pump is a Berkeley. I dont know anything eles because i havent called on it yet. Thank for any info.

curt
07-14-2002, 08:36 AM
that be a good progression. wish i"d have done the same many bucks ago. Your pump will stay t5he same my bbc had to be lowered from the original position the coupler on the flywheel has to change (cp perf. on the shelf)and the exhaust& mtr mts. Iwas maybe too meticulos in the engin align dept. but overall very happy to have a motor Ican flog and fix myself without killig my savings and wasting a bunch of boating time. If Ibuy another boat with the olds (oldmans anchor)before it floats for me the olds will be out (Pice of tempermental fragile junk)dont mean to sound negative but I spent thousands on mondello magic (UHHH the guru) when alll is said and done you cvant give the olds stuff away Go BBC .JETON

Havasu_Jet_85
07-14-2002, 09:15 AM
Thanks

1HOTGMCJET
07-14-2002, 09:43 AM
HavasuJet, your plan is sound - yes, you CAN switch over to the BBC with the proper mounts and driveline (i.e. driveshaft), and it will attach to your existing pump - as far as the Olds, yes, it will require you to be careful of the RPM's it turns, it's a well known fact that due to oiling issues and a few other factors, Olds engines DO NOT like sustained RPM's over 4000-4500 - get yourself a rev limiter and USE IT (drop me an email if you have any questions) - my boat only had a 350 Olds in it when I got it, and it ran very well, but I put in a limiter right after I got the boat for safety's sake and it worked very well - I am now in the process of a BBC swap and can tell you it's not as bad as it may sound - so yes, run the 455 (albeit carefully) and change over to the BBC when you're ready...........Best of Luck to you! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
[This message has been edited by 1HOTGMCJET (edited July 14, 2002).]