PDA

View Full Version : 460 ford

460aquajet
06-10-2002, 06:44 PM
I'm restoring a 1977 jet boat w/460
Block #D1VE-AA,Heads #D3VE-A2A,Crank #C85 EB,
Pistons #C9AE 8718 6210-B. My question is do these numbers make any sense to anyone? I think the block is 1971 Lincoln and the heads are 1973 Lincoln? The motor was supposably rebuild bored .30 looks like it any way. Has stock intake w/Holley 750. Anyway thanks for any info.

06-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Those numbers make perfect sense to me but then again some people say I'm a little strange...Your block is a std. pass 460-71 thru 78, heads are low comp.[91cc chambers] small valve 2.09"/1.66" small port with alot of obstruction in the exhaust port. You would do well to have the ex. port cleaned out if it hasn't been already. What would you like to do with this boat? The engine has alot of potential if speed is what you want. Parts aren't as common as the BBC but that situation is improving every day. Stroker combos are as common as can be and the aftermarket heads are available in many different configurations, just depends on what you want.

79Hawaiian
06-11-2002, 12:46 PM
I just read some notes in the tech notes section that told about using an "early" model timing chain set to bump the timing 8 degrees
http://free.***boat.net/tech/jet/dssca.htm
Anyone know what "early" means? Mine was rebuilt with a gear set for a 79. Should I replace it? If so, what year?

06-11-2002, 02:42 PM
Early is anything from 68 thru 70. Sometime in 71 they went to the retard sproket for emisson purposes. Try a timing set from Ford Motorsport, Cloyes, Edelbrock, ect. Anything with a multi-index keyslots, then you have a choice where to put the cam.

Hallett19
06-11-2002, 03:21 PM
I got the part from ford motorsport, it is a pre 70 timing chain and sprocket.

460aquajet
06-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Thanks 058,
Since I'm starting from scratch on this project. Everything is apart,cleaned,new if needed.Need new upholstery,gauges,paint job,trailer paint, tires,wheels,etc. So I'm staying conservative on the motor for now. I am going to change the intake from stock to Torker II.

460aquajet
06-11-2002, 03:57 PM
How can you tell if its a "early model?
Sorry for not being more specific, "early model" timing chain and sprocket
[This message has been edited by 460aquajet (edited June 12, 2002).]

06-11-2002, 05:42 PM
Early engine: head no. C8VE-C9VE-DOVE. Late engine: head no. D1VE-D2VE-D3VE. Early Block will start with C8 C9 or D0. Most other blocks are D1/D9. Early blocks have a 10.300" deck height, some 71s have a 10.310" deck and all later blocks have a 10.320" deck. This is info for pass. car engines, with industrial/marine engines there can be exception to these specs due to production overruns, ect. Don't forget, service part blocks can be confusing too if you aren't aware of an engine change.

Hallett19
06-11-2002, 06:56 PM
460 aqua jet, I did the same thing you are doing right now, I went with the timing gear, first and foremost, use an aftermarket cam, I went with the isky one, if you keep the engine basicaly stock, which is a GREAT IDEA,isky has one already set up for a jet boat with an A or B impeller, very convenient, new lifters, Clevite bearings, childs and alberts rings with a VERY small gap,stock rods,pistons, heads,crank, valves, 5 angle valve job, double valve springs, all new seals in the heads and titanium retainers, I would deck the block, so you might need the crane shims for you rockers, paint the inside of the block with rustoleum for better drainging, 10qt pan, melling HV oil pump (un-neccesary), windage tray, I would keep the stock manifold, it is low profile and flows very well, and I went with a 780 vac secondary carb, stock distributor. I have logs and a weiand stealth manifold, rex marine guages, I did some new carpet and redid the stereo. But I will tell you, all in all, the motor has NO more top end from being stock, I maybe got 200 rpms out of it, but it hauls from low speeds and does 67.8@ 4600 rpm's at Castaic, probably 70 even at Havasu. wheewwwwwww

lakesmodified
06-11-2002, 08:14 PM
HALLETT: is you engine/boat all back together? I'm still waiting for my F**KING crank back from the machine shop!!! Ivan

460aquajet
06-12-2002, 09:28 AM
Thanks Hallett for the info. Long process as you know. I'll post some picks when i'm finished. Before and after. I bought the boat last fall, had a foot of leaves..compost with weeds included. But a very sound hull and engine. Anyway thanks again

Hallett19
06-12-2002, 12:45 PM
Nope, motors not quite done yet, but he parts are ordered and the carpet is done, Ben Alameda is going to assemble it for me though, so that is a big headache gone. Lakes, I don't believe you havent got your crank back yet!!! You should go over there and tell the guy to quit yankin' his crank, or your crank !!!! hahahaha....nevermind

lakesmodified
06-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Hallett19:
Nope, motors not quite done yet, but he parts are ordered and the carpet is done, Ben Alameda is going to assemble it for me though, so that is a big headache gone. Lakes, I don't believe you havent got your crank back yet!!! You should go over there and tell the guy to quit yankin' his crank, or your crank !!!! hahahaha....nevermind
Well, the **** HEAD (can I use those words in here?) finally called me today to let me know that my crank was finally ready!!! So I asked him if he could wait a few minutes past 5PM so I would have time to get to his place after work, and of course he said yes. So, do you know what I did? I didn't go and pick it up!!! Let the asshole wait!!! Hell, it's my weekend to work, so it's not like I can really do anything until my next day off(MON) I'll drop by and pick it up on Friday.. I still have to pay him for resizing the rods(installed APR rod bolts)and for the bearings... I guess now he can wait.. Well good luck, hope you're out on the water in a couple of weeks.. By the way, did you finally get your place diverter? Take care, Ivan
[This message has been edited by lakesmodified (edited June 12, 2002).]

77charger
06-12-2002, 08:04 PM
guess thats why i have a spare crank dove heads and a block

Kamakazi Ken
06-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Let's start A FORD, GM, Mopar & "others" Motor, Section for info.
BBF!!!
K.K.

Hallett19
06-12-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by 77charger:
guess thats why i have a spare crank dove heads and a block
Oh, so Robert, you got some DOVE's sittin around, ha ??? I see..... How much do those baby's mean to you ?? Let me know.

mister460
06-13-2002, 01:59 PM
Aaron, I told you a while ago I have some C8's! Same thing as the D0VE's!

77charger
06-13-2002, 03:49 PM
ya hallet i do have a set (spares)if my current heads check out crack free i might part with them
best part was they were availiable when i got my last motor so i forked out the xtra 30 bucks for a long block they need a valve job(i think) they are getting a little rarer at the local ecology wrecking.

77charger
06-13-2002, 04:05 PM
c8,c9,do,d1,d2 are all the same closed cahmber type