PDA

View Full Version : Grrr.... Stupid carburetors

Snorider
08-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Took my boat out yesterday, ran like sh*t at below 3500rpm, but at wot, ran as good as normal...
Then, when i came down to idle, it died, and refused to restart burningm
After getting towed back in, i left it sit overnight, and checked it out... Float stuck on secondaries, dumping so much fuel that you could see your reflection if you looked through the venturi's onto the manifold!!!
Now i carry a hammer with me for when it sticks :p No point in repairing it this late in the summer since i am gonna get a new carb over the winter anyways - prolly a 2x4 setup.

FastRat1
08-16-2003, 02:45 AM
what size carb is it?...what kind of manif r u useing?...i may be interested in takeing them off ur hands if u decide to switch to 2x4...thnx
Ron

rammer
08-16-2003, 02:50 AM
If your going to go with 2 carbs, there is a grate place on the west coast. It's called C&J engineering in whittier CA (562) 946-1388, give them a call thay will be able to help you. Most of there carbs are set to go on rite on off the bench. Thay ship all over the country.

Hotcrusader76
08-16-2003, 07:27 AM
Snorider:
Took my boat out yesterday, ran like sh*t at below 3500rpm, but at wot, ran as good as normal...
Then, when i came down to idle, it died, and refused to restart burningm
After getting towed back in, i left it sit overnight, and checked it out... Float stuck on secondaries, dumping so much fuel that you could see your reflection if you looked through the venturi's onto the manifold!!!
Now i carry a hammer with me for when it sticks :p No point in repairing it this late in the summer since i am gonna get a new carb over the winter anyways - prolly a 2x4 setup. So did you fix the problem? Do you run primary powervalves?
Note- always carry spare needles. :D
~Ty

Hallett19
08-16-2003, 09:42 AM
If you need them rebuilt, talk to Ty, that guy up there ^, hotcrusader76, he builds some wild stuff and tunes the carbs to run with your setup, mine worked miracles !!!

Snorider
08-16-2003, 05:07 PM
FastRat1:
what size carb is it?...what kind of manif r u useing?...i may be interested in takeing them off ur hands if u decide to switch to 2x4...thnx
Ron Its a D0OE-R intake, 600cfm holley marine carb.
Yea i fixed it Ty... i beat the heck out of the bowl with a rubber hammer, and i now carry that hammer with me in the boat. :D
Ty... can you PM me a quote for a pair of carb's to work with my motor? Assume the following:
mildly-ported D3VE heads, weiand tunnel ram, B impeller (~5600rpm WOT), 460 ford, dunno about a cam yet.
Has to be a marine carb. (J-tubes, etc). Dunno whether i should use vacuum or mech. 2nd-aries...
I think i might prefer a BG Sea Demon - they look nice, but it all depends on the $$$$

TX Daytona
08-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Sno,listen to yourself boy. Yes sir, this carb is making me so nuts I think I'll put two of them on next season.

Snorider
08-17-2003, 03:05 PM
TX Daytona:
Sno,listen to yourself boy. Yes sir, this carb is making me so nuts I think I'll put two of them on next season. HAHA, well if you look at it that way....
The carb on my boat right now is the original from 1978 - and as far as i know, it hasnt been rebuilt in at least 5 years, so it was time for it to take a crap anyways.
Carb's are (IMO) more reliable than injected boats... less to go wrong! Besides, it is not cost-effective to try and add EFI to my ford motor... a 2x4 setup is the only way to go for some good top end power (or a victor jr, but i like the look of a tunnel ram :D )

TX Daytona
08-17-2003, 08:44 PM
The truth comes out. Most of us NEED a tunnelram
like a hole in the head, but they just look soooo danmmmm cooool. So we give up a little on the low end and look very, very cool. Hey, boats are for having fun, so knock your fine self out.

Hotcrusader76
08-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Yeah yeah...tunnel rams rule :D