PDA

View Full Version : Drain Gas or add fresh with Octane boost

HotHallet
02-26-2003, 12:15 PM
I am getting ready for the first trip of the season in Late March to Needles and would like to put the boat in the water once before then. The last time the boat was run was mid october and I know there is some gas left in her. Should I siphone all the gas out and put all fresh new gas in or add fresh 92 to what is already in there and splash some octane boost in the mix. Planning on taking her out to Castaic or puddingstone in about three weeks-weekend before the trip for a shakedown before the seaon starts. Recommendations would be appreciated and welcomed.

PussyPusher
02-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Fill it up and take it out. If you are affraid that there is water in the gas go to the autoparts store and buy some Stabil. Just as a added note you should always put your boat away full of gas and add Sta-bil to the gas to keep it fresh, that way condinsation cant build up inside the tanks hence water in the fuel.
Just my .02
PP

BrendellaJet
02-26-2003, 12:59 PM
what id you need to get rid of gas. Where can you take it?

PussyPusher
02-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Dump it in your car?
eek!

572Daytona
02-26-2003, 01:21 PM
My experience with boats over the years is that 4 stroke motors are more tolerant of old gas than 2 strokes. With my car motor boats I normally just top off the tanks with fresh gas and put some STP gas treament (or stabil) in them and they are fine. On my weed wacker outboard and SeaDoo that only works if the tank is almost empty to begin with, which is how I try to leave them prior putting them away for the winter. Off course if you have a $25000 motor it is probably worth the peace of mind to drain the tanks and put fresh gas in.

BrendellaJet
02-26-2003, 01:53 PM
PussyPusher:
Dump it in your car?
eek! its like 5 or 6 months old. Would this still be okay?

jim@pj
02-26-2003, 02:14 PM
All good answers... What I do with my customers if they have old gas is to change the filters and run 5 Gals of race fuel in each tank, usually trick 114 Octane. Works great. Jim www.performancjet.com (http://www.performancjet.com)

PussyPusher
02-26-2003, 02:21 PM
If you put Sta-bil in the gas then put it in your car you should be fine. If you really want to do it right put a water sperator inline to the carb. I just learned about this from Jim Brock @ Cyclone Marine.
[ February 26, 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: PussyPusher ]

Boater Bill
02-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Travis, if you have less than 1/2 tanks just fill 'er up. Stabil is good but I use STP gas treatment (red bottle) after my stuff has sat for a while for the water/condensation concern. Adding octane boost will give you some peace of mind if you are worried but I don't believe its necessary. BTW where are you getting 92 octane?
Definitely check your filters afterwards, maybe even before.

hack job
02-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Boater Bill:
Travis, if you have less than 1/2 tanks just fill 'er up. Stabil is good but I use STP gas treatment (red bottle) after my stuff has sat for a while for the water/condensation concern. Adding octane boost will give you some peace of mind if you are worried but I don't believe its necessary. BTW where are you getting 92 octane?
Definitely check your filters afterwards, maybe even before. iam with bill just fill it up with 91 octane and you should be fine and if you feel you need to make it a littel safer then add soem octane boost i like the nos brand it comes in three levels and it kicks ass. wink

77charger
02-26-2003, 04:14 PM
just top it off if you are worried about it siphon and put it in the tow vehichle :)