PDA

View Full Version : Dual Or Single Plain Intake

Jetty 468
01-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Was told my Stealth intake was not the best choice if I want to milk the motor for all she's worth ? Basic BBC 468 10-1 TRW, Stealth Intake ,850 DP , All MSD and TT Headers . Was toying with desk top dyno and it show' 461 hp at 5000rpm with Dual Plain and pick up 20 more hp w/ single plain . Does this sound right to any of you . If I change to a single plain, which one would you choose thank's Jetty. :confused:

GlastronGuy
01-16-2003, 04:53 PM
What RPMs are you actually turning?

Jetty 468
01-16-2003, 04:55 PM
GlastronGuy:
What RPMs are you actually turning? 5200

caution 2
01-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Yes a single plain will work better on a jet boat, you are at a constant high rpm all the time, there is no lag, a single tunnelram will work even better, are your heads oval or square port? Jim

Jetty 468
01-16-2003, 05:07 PM
caution 2:
Yes a single plain will work better on a jet boat, you are at a constant high rpm all the time, there is no lag, a single tunnelram will work even better, are your heads oval or square port? Jim Square, Roller rocker's , SS valves , = Low perfomance basiclly ! " single tunnelram " What type ?

caution 2
01-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Just looked at what you have, if you have a fat msd dist, a tunnelram won't fit, what rpm are you turning? what is your lift duration and lob centers on your cam?

Hotcrusader76
01-16-2003, 05:19 PM
So what you are saying is that you "do" have Rect.port heads and S.S.Valves?
Then ditch the HEI, get a tunnel ram, and "Drive it like ya stole it"
~Ty

Jetty 468
01-16-2003, 05:25 PM
caution 2:
Just looked at what you have, if you have a fat msd dist, a tunnelram won't fit, what rpm are you turning? what is your lift duration and lob centers on your cam? Lunati # 30207 .572 lift Lope Center,110
MSD Dist.# 8560 .

Jetty 468
01-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Hotcrusader76:
So what you are saying is that you "do" have Rect.port heads and S.S.Valves?
Then ditch the HEI, get a tunnel ram, and "Drive it like ya stole it"
~Ty S.S. Valves , yes I have them . Funny that you came in on this one because I was going to e-mail you tonight ! I LOST ALL my e-mail's with you so I no longer have all the info we talked about . I was going to have my freind look at what we talked about since he is the one that built the motor and will be fine tunning it this spring due to all the change's I have made over the summer . I hope since you have me on your mail list that you still have some of the e-mails on what you came up with for my 850 ??

Hotcrusader76
01-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Yes, I have all your e-mails and the form you submitted. Log onto our site and fill out the newer version incase anything changed.
If you send me your 850DP then you can option for any of the Stage builds we offer. The Stage 3 set-up is best suited for your application or you can upgrade into the Stage 4 or 5 for Billet and or Chrome.
http://www.tpcracing.com/Orderform.html
~Ty

Jetty 468
01-16-2003, 06:06 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Yes, I have all your e-mails and the form you submitted. Log onto our site and fill out the newer version incase anything changed.
If you send me your 850DP then you can option for any of the Stage builds we offer. The Stage 3 set-up is best suited for your application or you can upgrade into the Stage 4 or 5 for Billet and or Chrome.
http://www.tpcracing.com/Orderform.html
~Ty Thank's Ty , I will be sending it soon I hope ?

77charger
01-16-2003, 06:24 PM
VICTOR JR!Its a good single plane.

Jetty 468
01-16-2003, 06:37 PM
77charger:
VICTOR JR!Its a good single plane. Yea ... I need to get a new catalog from them !

77charger
01-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Jetty 468:
77charger:
VICTOR JR!Its a good single plane. Yea ... I need to get a new catalog from them ! i have been happy ordering from summit.I had a prob with the wrong part one time i called the next day aired me the right part plus let me keep the old one.Very good custumer service from my experience.

BK
01-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Im running the same size cam, with a simalar setup as yours except I have log exhaust (opened to 3 1/2"), and an HEI with a Victor Jr and 830DP at 5300 rpm tops. Im now upgrading to a tunnel ram but you cant beat a Victor Jr if your going to stick with a single carb setup.

matt1
01-16-2003, 08:04 PM
What about an Edlebrok super victor air gap thats what im running on my small block 350.
[ January 16, 2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: matt1 ]

Hal
01-16-2003, 08:11 PM
My desk top dyno dyno does'nt show any gain using a tunnel over a single plane. Both show hp a gain of about 8% over a dual plane but it depends what your set up is. Impeller, pump work and cam. You may want to stay with the dual plane for the extra torque it gives you around 4000 to 5000 rpm. Remember your jet is like a dyno and you need lots of torque to get to the higher rpm range. I just switched to a victor jr from an edelbrock 454r dual plane, But I am running 12.5 comp w/ a roller cam, chevy alum heads and a 1050 dominator. Runs about 6000 rpm w/ a A/B cut impeller. I have'nt checked with the gps yet to see if it helped, but if your expecting to feel a lot of differance between them you will be disappointed. I think you would be happier with the dual plane. At least don't sell your dual plane untill you try a single plane out. :)
[ January 16, 2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Jetty 468
01-17-2003, 06:21 AM
Hal:
My desk top dyno dyno does'nt show any gain using a tunnel over a single plane. Both show hp a gain of about 8% over a dual plane but it depends what your set up is. Impeller, pump work and cam. You may want to stay with the dual plane for the extra torque it gives you around 4000 to 5000 rpm. Remember your jet is like a dyno and you need lots of torque to get to the higher rpm range. I just switched to a victor jr from an edelbrock 454r dual plane, But I am running 12.5 comp w/ a roller cam, chevy alum heads and a 1050 dominator. Runs about 6000 rpm w/ a A/B cut impeller. I have'nt checked with the gps yet to see if it helped, but if your expecting to feel a lot of differance between them you will be disappointed. I think you would be happier with the dual plane. At least don't sell your dual plane untill you try a single plane out. :) Thank's ,more to think about now ! I'm sending my carb. over to Ty w/ TPC racing next month and a freind has another intake I can try first .

kojac
01-19-2003, 04:06 PM
I have a sterling picklefork 19 ft that I purchased in 1982 that camewith a 454 chevy engine with square port chevy steel hi-performance heads. (no porting) Big comp cam (roller) with two 660 center squirter holley carbs. The engine was 12-5 to 1 compression. The boat had a berkely 12jg pump with "b"impellar. The engine consistantly ran 5600 rpm at 95 miles an hour on the gun. At that time I knew nothing about jetboats and what it took to make them run fast but I set out to try. In some of my attempt to make the boat produce more power and pull more rpm's I changed several manifold, carburator combinations on this particular motor. I first changed the carburators to two 750's Still ran 5600rpm's. Next I tried a Edelbrock dominator manifold dual plane with a 1050 holley carb. Ran 5600rpm's. Next I tried the same manifold with a special 1350cfm Barry Grant "racing carb". Ran 5600 rpm"s. I then tried the special 1350 cfm carb on a single plane team G dominator manifold. Ran 5600 rpm"s. I tried the 1350 on a single plane strip dominator with a dominator to holley to 850 squeeze down because the guys supposedly in the know said it would make more volocity. ran 5600 rpm's. The only difference I saw was that the dual carburators gave me a much better hole shot and almost 1&1/2 second better 60 foot time.
On my brothers 18ft gullwing mantra we tried several of the same modications with the same results.(single plane verses Dual plane and dominators verses 850 cfm"s) We found that the Edelbrock RPM dual manifold produced the best all around results for a moderate horsepower engine pulling 5600 to 5800 rpm"s
I found that unless you are going to port your heads and manifold for the desired rpm and horsepower range along with careful valve and cam selection and enough compression to reach that power range you are probalaby not going to see a big enough difference in RPM"s to warrant the cost or trouble in making these changes. I found a difference of 300 rpm's between Edelbrock's dual plane Performer 5.0 and The Dual plan performer RPM manifold.
Hopefully my experience's help you out. But I would value anybody else input and experiences.
Kojac :rolleyes:

Bense468
01-19-2003, 05:39 PM
I run the super victor and like it.

Jetty 468
01-19-2003, 06:00 PM
kojac:
I have a sterling picklefork 19 ft that I purchased in 1982 that camewith a 454 chevy engine with square port chevy steel hi-performance heads. (no porting) Big comp cam (roller) with two 660 center squirter holley carbs. The engine was 12-5 to 1 compression. The boat had a berkely 12jg pump with "b"impellar. The engine consistantly ran 5600 rpm at 95 miles an hour on the gun. At that time I knew nothing about jetboats and what it took to make them run fast but I set out to try. In some of my attempt to make the boat produce more power and pull more rpm's I changed several manifold, carburator combinations on this particular motor. I first changed the carburators to two 750's Still ran 5600rpm's. Next I tried a Edelbrock dominator manifold dual plane with a 1050 holley carb. Ran 5600rpm's. Next I tried the same manifold with a special 1350cfm Barry Grant "racing carb". Ran 5600 rpm"s. I then tried the special 1350 cfm carb on a single plane team G dominator manifold. Ran 5600 rpm"s. I tried the 1350 on a single plane strip dominator with a dominator to holley to 850 squeeze down because the guys supposedly in the know said it would make more volocity. ran 5600 rpm's. The only difference I saw was that the dual carburators gave me a much better hole shot and almost 1&1/2 second better 60 foot time.
On my brothers 18ft gullwing mantra we tried several of the same modications with the same results.(single plane verses Dual plane and dominators verses 850 cfm"s) We found that the Edelbrock RPM dual manifold produced the best all around results for a moderate horsepower engine pulling 5600 to 5800 rpm"s
I found that unless you are going to port your heads and manifold for the desired rpm and horsepower range along with careful valve and cam selection and enough compression to reach that power range you are probalaby not going to see a big enough difference in RPM"s to warrant the cost or trouble in making these changes. I found a difference of 300 rpm's between Edelbrock's dual plane Performer 5.0 and The Dual plan performer RPM manifold.
Hopefully my experience's help you out. But I would value anybody else input and experiences.
Kojac :rolleyes: Well I think you pretty much coverd it all ! I'm staying with my stealth ! I know if I want more (IF) I must look at the head's Thank's Jetty

Bow Tie Omega
01-19-2003, 06:29 PM
I went with the Weiand Team G. It is a Single Port that supposedly covers a larger RPM Range(2000-6500) which sounds right up my alley as far a performance ranges (500 hp). I will know more when it is back together and actually running. Dennis Moore seemed to agree with my choice...Hope this helps...Joe

kojac
01-20-2003, 05:52 AM
Jetty,
I forgot to mention that I attributed the faster reaction time to the Tunnel Ram manifold to the fact that the two 660's had more gas on initial thrust of the boat (four primary jets instead of two with a single carb) and the fact that the tunnel ram was port matched to the square port heads. Kojac wink