PDA

View Full Version : The WIFE has a ?

sidewound
01-03-2003, 07:19 PM
My husband, a.k.a. Sidewound, or is it Peace Man, or maybe Cesar? Anyway, he has this stinkin' jet boat that apparently some of you know about. It's a Dirty Sock which he wants to make go 90 miles an hour. Just what every wife really wants. But I want to ski! For 10 years I skied behind a nice peaceful prop boat. He says I can ski behind a jet boat. Yeah, right. We tried having a buddy tube behind it. The tube ripped into shreads and the buddy came up brused and battered. Now, do I really want to ski behind the Dirty Sock? Tell the truth, is he just pulling the wool over my innocent eyes or can he really make it so I can ski behind the Dirty Sock. And I don't want a 300 foot rope! eek!

Duane HTP
01-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Absoutly! Buy him a good diverter so he can control the water behind the boat. Probably most of us ski behind our boats. I have a lake boat that runs 100+ mph that I ski behind all the time. My wife pulls the grand kids skiing a lot with it and I have pulled several barefoot skiers behind it. GO for it. Have Fun! Duane HTP

gstark
01-03-2003, 08:31 PM
You can definitely ski behind a jet boat.
I skied for 18 years behind a turnkey 18' Glencoe, modified-v hull with a 455 Olds/Berk 12JC pump and no diverter. It wasn't a tournament boat, but we used to run the slalom course with it, on shortline (25' off or shorter). Just stay out of the jet wash, as it does hurt. Keep the ski on edge and carve those turns.

Beavertim
01-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Jets are fine to ski behind. A Diverter is a plus (when set it all the way down for minimum wash). It all depends on what you want in a ski boat. I used to have a v-drive that was nice to ski behind because of it's solid pull (like a tournament boat), on the other hand my jet has a flatter wake and more give in the turns which makes it easier to crank a sharp cut. The jet also gets on plane faster (if the driver floors it) putting less strain on your body on a deep water start (I'm 45 and have put on 30 lbs over the last 10 yrs, so less strain is a good thing :( ).

miller19j
01-03-2003, 10:03 PM
We Ski, Tube, Kneeboard behind ours all summer. I don’t know how many hours my wife put on the tube this summer but it was a lot and it is still in perfect shape. If you plan on doing a lot of skiing you probably want an engine cover so you don’t have to mess with falling into the engine every time you get in and out. But that is up to you.
But you can most definitely ski behind a Jet!

bigerich
01-03-2003, 10:39 PM
I have been skiing behind jets for 20+ years, wouldn't have it any other way!!!! No 300' rope is needed, but if you like the smooth and not hard cuts, I say use a 100' rope. Good Luck

LVjetboy
01-04-2003, 01:35 AM
Ahhhhhh....what's this?
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/WaterSki.gif
And behind a jet boat no less? How could this be?
jer
[ January 04, 2003, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

spectratoad
01-04-2003, 06:00 AM
My son (10) just learned to ski behind our jet this last season. Just put a diverter and call it good. Jets are also alot safer as far as feet, arms etc getting into a prop. wink

Moomawnster
01-04-2003, 06:11 AM
I skiied 100 miles behind my 16ft Tahiti last year and have no complaints .... others who have tried skiing a jet with me for the first time say they are impressed with the deep water slalom starts ...I did add a tripod ski pole this year and things just got better .... SKI ON ! :D

bchbum
01-04-2003, 06:17 AM
My kids are going to learn to ski this summer behind our jet,I'll put the place down & plow the thing ,But the wife on the tube that's a different story( honey you looked to hot I was trying to kool you down )

sidewound
01-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Okay... I guess I'll get to ski behind the Dirty Sock. As for you Riverdavey... a new boat? You're talking to the "cheap ass save my pennies wife", so NO NEW BOAT!!! Instead, the Peace Man will get his place diverter and I'll get to ski. Thanks for the info from the rest of you! :cool:

Wet Dream
01-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Here is analogy I like to use:
1995 Geo Metro (family ski boat), capable of 60mph
2001 Chevy Corvette (jet or v) capable of 200mph or so
Both can travel 25mph through a school zone (skiier)
Just because a boat can go fast, doesn't mean that you have to pull a skiier at full tilt. I've been that skiier and its a rush, but not recommended without one hell of a medical plan.

Moomawnster
01-04-2003, 03:35 PM
I must disagree about putting the diverter all the way down for ski or tube ..... the huge S shaped thrust it creates is WAY worse than just laying the diverter flat , no roost, just flat ....the only time I use full down is to keep the nose down in high speed rollers ....the only time I use roost is for the folks on the beach! Heh Heh .... just my .02 ! :D