PDA

View Full Version : RIDE PLATE (NEED HELP)

uglystick
03-15-2003, 05:10 PM
I HAVE A RIDE PLATE IN MY KEATON. I DON'T KNOW HOW ADJUSTMENTS AFFECT SPEED OR WET SURFACE. PLATE IS ADJUSTED BY TWO LOCKING NUTS AND BOLTS AGAINST PUMP. NEED INFO ON AFFECTS,HOW MANY TURNS OR HOW FAR TO MAKE EACH ADJUSTMENT

HammerDown
03-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Well sorry to say I don't know what a Keaton is...but on most every Jet I've seen started with the RidePlate 2 degrees up from Keel line. And then go either up or down a few degrees at that point. Ride plate up will raise the bow slightly and Ride plate down will lower it. It's another way of puting leverage on the Hull. My Ride plate is adjusted with Washers...you could just count and turn the same number of flats on each nut. I could'nt belive how sensitive my 21 Daytona was to a few degrees either way...but for my setup 2+1/2 degrees up from Keel line worked best at WOT.
The above would be measured with a Angle Locator either Digital or Dial.
[ March 15, 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

sidewound
03-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Nice reply Hammer. Simple and to the point avoiding a lenthy thread.urcool

uglystick
03-15-2003, 11:12 PM
HAMMERDOWN THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.
CLEAR AND CONCISE. I LOVE THIS SITE. BY THE WAY A KEATON IS PROBABLY THE UGLIEST BOAT EVER TO SPORT A JET. ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST PHOTOS I'LL PUT ONE ON.BY THE WAY MINE'S EVEN UGLIER THAN MOST,I BOUGHT IT AFTER THE LAST GUY LEFT IT OUT IN THE SUN TILL THE GELLCOAT FELT LIKE SANDPAPER. SINCE I'M ONE ON A BUDGET I ONLY HAVE DONE THE ENGINE AND INTERIOR.P.S. THIS BOAT WILL STILL BE UGLY EVEN WITH NEW PAINT!

Mohavekid
03-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Keatons were built in West Sacramento, I'm not sure if they're still in business.
Most of them had a Berekeley "e" pump and ran well, a friend of mine had one for a while.
They are'nt the best looking thing on the water, most were white or off white with no graphics.
That ride plate on the "e" pump is not quite as sensitive as others, but even with the keel or slightly up should be just about right.
Good luck. let's hear some numbers and see some pics.

Squirtcha?
03-16-2003, 11:36 AM
I'm just now going through the adjustment process with the rideplate thing. If you've got a shoe use that as a reference point for your measurements. If the shoe is at zero degrees then you'll want the rideplate to be up so many degrees from the shoe's flat surface (you'll need some sort of angle finder). If you don't have a shoe then I reckon you'd have to use the keelline to reference. It seems like the semi-v hulls need more up than say Hammer's tunnelhull. Mine's currently adjusted to 4.7 degrees up from where the flat surface of the shoe is. I'm no expert, and these are merely my observations regarding my own boat and setup. I'm also running a 3 degree wedge up and yesterday I broke 80 mph for the first time in the boat's life. It's my understanding that every boat is different so it's gonna take some adjusting to find the sweetspot. It helps a lot to have someone observe your boat's attitude while underway with full throttle. You're looking for little or no spray off the sides of the boat. Good luck to ya. You're gonna love it when ya get it ironed out.
Once again this is merely what I've seen with my own boat and may not apply to yours.
[ March 16, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

uglystick
03-17-2003, 07:39 PM
THANK,S FOR THE HELP. I,M EXTREMELY EMBARRASED TO SAY THIS BUT I DON,T KNOW WHAT A SHOE IS.LAST SEASON WAS MY FIRST WITH A JET. AND ONLY MY SECOND AS A BOAT OWNER.

HammerDown
03-17-2003, 09:20 PM
uglystick:
THANK,S FOR THE HELP. I,M EXTREMELY EMBARRASED TO SAY THIS BUT I DON,T KNOW WHAT A SHOE IS.LAST SEASON WAS MY FIRST WITH A JET. AND ONLY MY SECOND AS A BOAT OWNER. No biggie...the shoe is Aluminum flat piece that is screwed into the rear bottom of a machined Intake...it has a sharper biting edge to it that helps grab(load) water and send it to the pump/impeller. It also comes with different thickness shims so as to lower the biting edge if needed. It has a step in the back so as to accept the RidePlate...thus you have a Shoe and RidePlate.
Its only foolish (not) to ask a question.

uglystick
03-17-2003, 09:31 PM
YOU GUYS ARE BETTER THAN GOING TO CLASS ANY DAY.

Squirtcha?
03-17-2003, 09:41 PM
Hey Hammer, what happened to Jack's website? He had some good pictures of some shoe n rideplate setups. I've got the link, but it's not working.

79Hawaiian
03-17-2003, 09:47 PM
Another stupid question... How do you measure the degree of the ride plate? I think I know how to work it out on paper but is there an easy way to do it while under the boat with wrench in hand?

HammerDown
03-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Squirtcha?:
Hey Hammer, what happened to Jack's website? He had some good pictures of some shoe n rideplate setups. I've got the link, but it's not working. It's not working for me either???

HammerDown
03-17-2003, 09:55 PM
79Hawaiian:
Another stupid question... How do you measure the degree of the ride plate? I think I know how to work it out on paper but is there an easy way to do it while under the boat with wrench in hand? Easy...take your Angle Locator...and on either underside of the shoe (port/starbord) on the flat spot check your reading(what ever it is)thats your reference point. Then check the reading on the underside of the RidePlate...make up or down adjustments as required.
[ March 17, 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]