PDA

View Full Version : oil blowing out of my breather- Anybody got any ideas to fix it?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-16-2002, 06:52 PM
When I was at coors light's world finals last year I was in the pits and I saw a lot of boats that had an evac system through the headers. It was on both sides going from valve covers to headers. I know I had a small oil spitting problem a couple of weeks ago and it was minor. I went out sunday and it was worse but I also had too much oil in it. Would alot of extra oil in the pan cause it to blow out the breather excessivly? If too much oil in the pan would cause that then I will feel a little better. Also back to my origional question, if the blow by is minor then would an evac system help me with a little oil blowing by? I probably have a small problem but I am trying to get a couple of more weeks out considering the fact that arizona doesnt cool down untill late october. I have a new engine lined up for it but I really dont have the time to install it right now.

roco racing
09-16-2002, 07:00 PM
ive heard you should have your breathers on the front of your valve covers if you doont have a vacuum on it.

Keith
09-16-2002, 07:04 PM
yes 396, i have the same problem. i have a 14 quart pan and with 14 quarts inside it pukes out the breathers on hard runs. a local jet boat racer i met at the lake (gary ogden) told me that i should keep 8 quarts in the pan. my dipstick
is too short so i keep 9 and it helps. i have thought about using a pvc valve like in my auto
but my headers come over the valve covers and i havent found a all steel valve yet.

DickDanger
09-16-2002, 07:25 PM
I dont think that I have seen a boat yet that doesnt blow oil all over the friggin'place from those breathers. My suggestion would be to get rid of it, and go with a PCV set up. Some people would probably disagree, but I have yet to ever have a problem with my set up. -DD Out

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-16-2002, 07:49 PM
I have one pcv on one side and a breather on the other. The breather was spitting. I think I had a real bad problem due to overfill on the oil. But I was really aksing about cutting holes in my headers and welding a piece of pipe at an angle to evacuate the pressure etc.
Would it hurt to run 2 Pcv's? Or woulld that be overkill for the carb??? :confused: :confused:

BK
09-16-2002, 08:55 PM
If your looking for a temp fix (until the knew motor) to keep oil from getting all over you could wrap a wrist swet band around the breather to soak up the oil. Just a thought. :)

RandyH
09-16-2002, 09:06 PM
BK:
If your looking for a temp fix (until the knew motor) to keep oil from getting all over you could wrap a wrist swet band around the breather to soak up the oil. Just a thought. :) Good thought BK, Maybe that would explain these on this motor. This was posted several months ago. I thought This would solve my problem until I realized mine was getting spun of the Harmonic Balancer. I had a small leak between the timing chain cover and the Dooley. Winter work.
Randy
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/540_alcohol_injection.JPG

Blazerjet
09-17-2002, 06:10 AM
I have been Fighting the same Prob for some time with an Olds i installed the Valves in the Headers from the Breathers and no more oil i did not think it would solve my Prob completly because of the olds having so much oil in the Valve covers but it did so i am sold

HOSS
09-17-2002, 07:08 AM
Tractor Pull mag can help.
Gotta love those bench racing fags!

BowTie Rick
09-17-2002, 08:35 AM
A run the valve cover risers that are supposed to lead to a puke tank with K&N clamp-ons on the ends and never leak a drop. The risers are baffled and all I had to do was drill a series of small holes in the valve covers and then mount them up. Here is a picture that better explains it... http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/jet_9.JPG

gotdamp
09-18-2002, 07:45 PM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
I have one pcv on one side and a breather on the other. The breather was spitting.
Would it hurt to run 2 Pcv's? Or woulld that be overkill for the carb??? :confused: :confused: I have the exact same problem/situation on my tired, old 460. If anybody has a suggestion for running two PCV's into the carb to solve the problem I would also be interested. Thanks.