PDA

View Full Version : No Oil Pressure

1000mhz
05-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Might get out this weekend if I can figure out my oil press problem. Boat hasn't been out since last year. I remember the gauage reading 0 psi for oil, and boat was overheating with max water flow to motor. I shut it down and was drunk for the remainder of the weekend. My question is, what other things should I check besides the oil pump? I am assuming oil pump is shot and plan to replace while crossing my fingers. Is there some more variables to look at here? Any comment's would be appreciated! I dont want to waste my time on oil pump if theres other things to check first. Thx...........

HBjet
05-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Is your sending unit a mechanical or electric? IF it's not mechanical then I would run the motor with a mechanical to be sure. Electric ones are never really accurate, and if your sending unit isn't the correct one for the gauge, then your reading will be way off. RacingRascal's oil pressure gauge read zero when we took the boat out but is was the gauge that went bad, and it was brand new. Check these things first before tearing apart the motor.......and still keep your fingers crossed.
HBjet

bajaruner
05-24-2002, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure what engine your talking about here, but if it's a chevy you better check the oil pump drive shaft that engages the pump to the distributor. You could have a broken retaining collar, or shaft. I had a GM-Performance shaft fail last year, the little dowl pin snapped and dropped the sleave exposing the coupling.

funkytown
05-24-2002, 05:22 PM
I had a similiar problem with my 454. After about 15 minutes the motor would get very hot and start to melt hoses. During all of this the first thing I would notice is oil pressure drop, then no oil pressure. Tried everything, new gauges, sending units, electric to manual. I was stumped, then I was told that a friend had that same problem as I. He told me that he flushed his block and halk the beach came out. Put it back together and it work great. Well I did it to and the rest of the beach came out. That was the end of that problem. Hope it is nothing major, but look at all the possibilities.
Funkytown

spectra75
05-24-2002, 05:50 PM
What in the hell is a beach? I mean, I know what a beach is...I just didn't know one is in a motor. Those chevys are incredible!!
spectra75

jordanpaulk
05-24-2002, 06:36 PM
What does the oil look like? I just got done at the machine shop today... looks like a new crank, rods, pistons, rings and on and on and on... Blew a cheap ass napa head gasket with out knowing it at the lake. Oil pressure got a little funny, like a pressure sender was going out. Knew it was more than that when the motor locked up on the way back across the lake. Even worse than the money to fix it was the fact that I had to be towed about half way in by a sea-doo. Got home and the oil looked much like chocolate milk... it was mobil 1+h2o special blend.

HBjet
05-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by spectra75:
What in the hell is a beach? I mean, I know what a beach is...I just didn't know one is in a motor. Those chevys are incredible!!
spectra75
I think he is talking about all the sand in the block.

funkytown
05-24-2002, 07:59 PM
Thanks HB, yes I was refuring to how much sand was in the block causing it to over heat and lose oil pressure. The oil never changed color or anything. Took a while to figure out what the problem really was.

Costello
05-25-2002, 06:49 PM
1000mhz, Don't just pull the pan and replace the oil pump. Chances are that you wounded some rod or main bearings at a minimum as well. Since you are going to be downstairs anyways, just replace them as cheap insurance.

Snowboat
05-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Generally speaking, cut apart your oil filter and squeeze the folds in a vise so there is no oil in it. Open the pleats and see what's in there, magnetic or not, or both. Do it sometime on a healthy engine and you will have a baseline. Sometimes there is nothing wrong with the engine. If there is much glitter, you are going to be busy.

not guilty
05-25-2002, 07:11 PM
Hey JordanPaulk you should of bought the NAPA Stainless Steel gaskets for Marine. They are special gaskets for Marines, so quit being a TightAzz.
NG

DickDanger
05-25-2002, 08:04 PM
Go with starting with the small stuff first, and working you way up from there. Don't just assume that it is the oil pump, and spend the $$$ replacing something that may or may not be the problem. Good luck!!! -DD out

1000mhz
05-26-2002, 12:21 AM
Thx for all the suggestions fellas. This motor IS a 454. I missed the river this year but will get started for the 4th July.
Sooooooooooooooo time to get busy. Will post a follow up on this thread.... thanks again, I havent been here in a while and have forgotten what a great community HBmag has going here. Cheers!

jordanpaulk
05-26-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by not guilty:
Hey JordanPaulk you should of bought the NAPA Stainless Steel gaskets for Marine. They are special gaskets for Marines, so quit being a TightAzz.
NG
If I had originally built the motor there would have been the good fel-pro with the stainless crush ring around the cyl so they dont blow out. Bought it from a friend though... had I known I would have changed them out myself...