PDA

View Full Version : new valve covers

riverbound
10-17-2003, 04:37 PM
I just bought new valve covers for my boat (aluminum ford racing) and they dont have any holes for my breathers and pcv valve like my old steel covers. Do I need to drill the new covers out for the breathers or is it ok to run without the breathers?

sidewound
10-17-2003, 04:51 PM
I'd suggest running breathers. I run one on my Olds and a pcv.
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

Jet City
10-17-2003, 08:39 PM
You need da breatha's bra, I have the Trick Flow covers (same castings as Ford Racing) which I milled holes in for the breathers. You could probably use an undersized holesaw and then clean it up with a round back file. I also run a breather on one side and PCV on the other.

roostwear
10-17-2003, 09:20 PM
I've run those covers before. Flip them over, and you'll see the "knockouts". Find a socket one size under the size of the knockout, and punch it through from the outside in. Clean up the edges with a file, then install the grommet. A word of advice..... punch out the opposite holes, so that when you install them, the pcv and/or breathers are both at the FRONT of the engine. Never had a problem pumping oil this way.

Jet City
10-18-2003, 01:45 AM
Jees, the Trick Flows didn't come with knock-outs. Those Bastards!

1slowboat
10-18-2003, 03:27 AM
RIVER BOUND, i have the same covers on mine and they have 2 sets of knock out in each one... i took a hole saw and drilled it from the back side on the back,. i'm also running a puke tank on mine though, here is a pic
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/961puke_tank_004.jpg

Ray Hamel
10-18-2003, 03:59 AM
What is the logic with "Ford Racing"?????? For the prices they charge, parts like this should be ready to go. Or at least they should provide the customer with a choice!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes that company wants me to tear out what little hair I have left.

hack job
10-18-2003, 06:39 AM
if your going to put the breathers in the( i suggest you do) then put them in the front due to motor angle and the boat riding with the motor riding a little to the back it will cause oil to possably come out them so it would make sense to me to put them in the front thats how i did mine!
http://classicboatbeachbash.com/cbbb03/Dscn2148.jpg

riverbound
10-18-2003, 09:10 AM
thanks for the info I will try to post pics once I am done