PDA

View Full Version : pissin oil

Tim_T
07-09-2003, 06:02 PM
I put 6 quarts of oil in the boat before we went out 4th of july and by the middle of the day all the oil was in te hull of the boat. What would cause the oil to run out of the motor like that? Its a stock 396 bbc. I have no idea what could cause this. Thanks in advance for any help.
Tim

sidewound
07-09-2003, 06:09 PM
I would suspect a leak somewhere! he he he :D
Peave Man :cool:
CESAR

Tim_T
07-09-2003, 06:12 PM
LOL

Moneypitt
07-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Loose drain plug? Loose filter,(old o ring still in block) or filter adaptor, Kinked oil pressure line....Moneypitt

Danhercules
07-10-2003, 07:43 AM
DUDE!!!!!!!!! NOT FUNNY. This happend to me this weekend!!!!!
I found it and feel like a dumb ass. I saw it was comming form the oil filter area so I took the filter off and then I saw the O ring from my old filter stuck to the block. I dont know how I missed that when I did my oil change. I peeled it off and wala!! No more oil leak. The oil was squiting between the 2 O rings.
I was not gong to post this cause its shuch a dumb ass move, but to help some one out, I will take the risk of being flamed!!! boxed smile_sp

Danhercules
07-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Tim_T:
I put 6 quarts of oil in the boat before we went out 4th of july and by the middle of the day all the oil was in te hull of the boat. What would cause the oil to run out of the motor like that? Its a stock 396 bbc. I have no idea what could cause this. Thanks in advance for any help.
Tim Did you find it yet????

Tim_T
07-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Nope, I havent had a chance to go out there and mess with it yet. Been working hard this week. Im gonna check it out in the morning. Hopefully its the filter. Somebody suggested that it might be a bad rear seal also. Hopefully its not. Thanks for your help though. I will let you know what i find.
Tim

Kachinalazer
07-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Do you have a chrome oil pan? I bought one of those "Kragen Special" chrome oil pans for my SBC when I rebuilt it, I already had it in the boat when someone told me that the cheap chrome oil pans always leak. Motor runs great, but sure enough, the pan leaks like a sieve. I'm pissed, I've gotta pop the motor out next weekend just to put a stock pan back on it.

Tim_T
08-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Well its spittin oil out of the dip stick tube. Does anybody know what causes this? I need some serious help here people. Thanks in advance for any advice on this one.
Tim

Havasu Hangin'
08-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Tim_T:
Well its spittin oil out of the dip stick tube. Does anybody know what causes this? Uh...rings (or a piston with a hole in it)?

King Kuracz
08-09-2003, 06:35 PM
An engine with too much blowby, and a inadaquate crankcase ventilation system.
Are you running PVC, or open breathers?

Tim_T
08-09-2003, 07:15 PM
i have run pcv and an open breather. 2 pcv's, 2 breathers. It doesnt seem to matter what I run it still does the same thing. I guess its looking like my simmer is over with the boat huh? Time to pull the motor and start the rebuild early. Thanks for your help.
Tim

moneysucker
08-09-2003, 07:34 PM
No milk shake in the crank case or anything? I changed my oil on the water last weekend into the bilge. Mine was the flywheel cutting the oil drain hose. I guess it wantes a Braided one instead of the rubber one. Good luck.

mgar_red
08-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Have you checked your compression on all cylinders? I've heard of this once, and it was serious blow-by in just one cylinder that was causing this on a car.
Wondered also what your oil pressure was running at. For if it's not the rings, there may be a one in a million chance your oil pump has loosened up just enough to squirt oil back into your pan and is splashing it up all over the place.
Chances are the compression check will answer the dreaded question of need for overhaul.
mgar

TJS
08-09-2003, 10:47 PM
att Kachin... When you do your small block pan use the Fel-pro permadry one piece gasket. I did one for the SBC pictured and it was a nice install.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com (http://www.tjsperformance.com)
http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/runstand12.jpg

Kachinalazer
08-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Hey TJS, funny you should post that. I thought it was the chrome oil pan, so two weeks ago I popped the motor out to swap the pan out. When I went to the parts store, I told them that I don't ever want to have to do this again, so gimme the best you got. They gave me the Felpro 1-piece gasket complete kit, pricey ($35+) but let me tell you, what a work of art. If you get a pan leak with this thing, you'd have to be an idiot. And by the way, it wasn't the pan's fault, it was the moron (me) who tightened the pan bolts originally. People, especially if you use the standard cork gasket, DO NOT overtighten the pan bolts! I did, and all it did was gut through the cork in the middle and spit oil everywhere.

Bryan Rose
08-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Had the same problem with the dipstick thing and it turned out that I had wiped out the exhaust lobe for the # 2 cylinder and the exhaust valve was barely opening and creating some serious presure in the crankcase with induced blowby from the valve not opening, so during the tear down found out I had some other issues, however the compression test was good, so I dont place much value on doing them other than for a simple check of ring condition ... do a leak down test.
Bryan

Moneypitt
08-11-2003, 09:25 PM
A flat exhaust lobe will pop pop pop pop pop thru the intake at rpm. The dipstick tube is the lowest exit from the crankcase, are you blowing any oil out the breather, or into the PCV, (by the way, one pcv valve should be enough)If you pull the breather off, does the blow by puff out?If you puked more than just a cup or so, you've got some serious internal pressure issue to deal with. If you've closed the system with 2 pcv valves, you are not allowing any air in to the crankcase to be sucked out the other side, and have actually closed the system and the dipstick is the only way out. Where are you getting the vacuum for the pcv? A little oil splatter on the back of my boat is common, just a little, and only after wringing it's neck hard for a while. They gotta breathe.......Moneypitt