PDA

View Full Version : DINO OIL OR SYNTHETIC, WHAT'S BETTER?UP

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
02-21-2003, 05:35 AM
WHEN I WAS AT MY LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE GETTING A ONE PIECE OIL PAN GASKET FOR MY TRICK NEW CAST ALUMINUM 14 QT JET OIL PAN, MY BUDDY WHO WORKS THERE MENTIONED I SHOULD USE SYNTHETIC OIL TO FREE UP A COUPLE MORE HORSE POWER OUT OF MY MILD BB CHEVY. WHAT'S THE STORY, LET'S TAKE A POLL. WHO USES CONVENTIONAL OIL? WHO USES SYNTHETIC? WHAT BRANDS. I SEARCHED YAHOO FOR MARINE SYNTHETIC 4 STROKE CRANKCASE OIL AND MOBIL 1 WAS NEVER MENTOINED(FOR MARINE), AND AMSOIL MARINE OIL(FOR GAS AND DIESEL MARINE ENGINES) WAS IN JUST ABOUT EVERY ARTICLE! FOR A FEW EXTRA BUCKS A YEAR IT SYNTHETIC OIL THE WAY TO GO? DOES IT MAKE A PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE, OR JUST HELP TO DRAIN MY POCKET OF LIMITED FUNDS?...BILL.

HammerDown
02-21-2003, 07:41 AM
Think I'll make a bag of Pop-Corn for this one, here we go....
For me its Kendall 40 wt...Good ol Dino Oil.

HBjet
02-21-2003, 08:24 AM
I've used Valvoline VR1 oil and I have been happy with it. But this year I'm switching to Royal Purple. Both 20/50
HBjet
[ February 21, 2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

ezstriper
02-21-2003, 08:35 AM
I run some test on both penzoil and royal purple
and have picked up some H/P and less oil useage
with the r/purple. All the race teams are using
some sort of synth. BUT, if you have any leakage
this stuff will make it worse ! Rob :)

cyclone
02-21-2003, 09:08 AM
We dyno tested regular valvoline 10w50 oil vs Royal purple in a Nissan Hardbody pickup (4-cylinder engine) and gained 2hp at the wheels. I was sold so when we dyno'd my last motor, i ran regular Valvoline oil in it on the dyno and switched to Royal Purple after the cam was broken in.

rivercrazy
02-21-2003, 02:26 PM
I use Mobil One for the cars and the old boat. With the roller cam in the new 496, I've heard that syn oil is a No-No. Causes the roller pins on the rockers to always pivot causing uneven wear. But who really knows!
I am a big beliver in Syn oil in most applications though. IN my 454 Mag the oil pressue stayed higher when the engine was hot. That leads me to believe that the oil is cooler and the viscosity doesnt break down as much

Ian
02-21-2003, 07:33 PM
I run TORCO 20/50 non-synthetic because I get it at a good deal. If my hook-up ever runs out I'll probably switch to Kendall because the torco is supper exspensive.