PDA

View Full Version : Three Point or Four Point Mount

Licketty Split
05-16-2002, 11:35 AM
OK I have both a three point mounting system an a four point system. I currently am using the three, but I re did the stringgers and have the option of using the four piont. What are the advantages? The three seems to be cleaner (no greese)

bobz
05-16-2002, 01:24 PM
i like the four point system its a little better if you need a bigger oil pan.

beached1
05-16-2002, 01:46 PM
I recently switched to a 4 point from a 3. I didn't like the fact that weight of the rear of the engine was resting on the top of my jet intake. I'd rather distribute the weight over 4 points and on the stringers as well.

Banshee
05-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Can somebody explain the difference between a four point and a three point mount? Also what does a rail kit do? Is that a completely different mount system altogether? Which one is best for high performance? I think I have a three point mount but I’m not really sure. I have a bracket on each side of my motor that attaches to the stringer on one side and the other side on the block where an automotive engine mount normally goes. Then the top of my bell housing rest’s on top of the pump and there’s a strap underneath that clamps it securely to the pump. Also how much HP is this type of mount safe for? Thanks for all the help!!

Bense468
05-16-2002, 02:42 PM
That is a 3 point and they suck. If you have a decent cam in that thing it will shake all over the place. If you are going to buy something new and don't mind spending a few more dollars go with the rail kit. They are better in that you don't pull your bolts throught the stringer plus they just look bitchen. Not only that it is just eaiser to take the motor in a out if needed. If you are on a budget look out for a used 4 pt. Some people sell them after doing rail kits.

HBjet
05-16-2002, 09:19 PM
I had a 4 point setup, but the stringer washers on the bolts were only one inch, and they pulled through the stringers over time. I drilled out the old holes and filled with wood, then had the stringers stripped and re-wrapped. I was going to use the same mount setup, but have some aluminum plates made up to run along the outside if the stringers so the bolts don't pull through. After getting the boat back, I just couldn't drill holes in her for the old mount setup, so I installed a polished rail kit and it's bitchin!
Removal of the motor is much easier (4 bolts) When set right, it lines up your motor and pump shaft. You can move the motor forward or back if you need to in a performance application. Anyways, good luck.
Before
http://home.socal.rr.com/boatbutts/aaa001.jpg
After
http://home.socal.rr.com/boatbutts/aaa002.jpg
HBjet
[This message has been edited by HBjet (edited May 16, 2002).]

ROZ
05-16-2002, 09:50 PM
Yo HB, your set up is lookin really good! Keep up the good work.

Bense468
05-17-2002, 02:40 PM
Randy Are those Merlins? it looks like them to me. I did not notice the plugs in the heads. Looks real nice. I am in the same stage right now but I painted my pump and motor a base silver with blue pearl. It has a lot of pearl in it so I can;t wait to see it in the sun at the river. Next winter I am re-gelling the boat I think and installing my rail kit and set back. Want to get everthing dialed in since the rebuid this summer so I know its good to drop back in after re-gelling, setback, etc.

1quickjet
05-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Looks real nice Randy, hope to have mine lookin' the same soon. Bense, did you paint or powdercoat your pump?

Bense468
05-17-2002, 03:51 PM
Painted. It is base, then the midcoat with pearl, then clearcoated. I think I have like 2 or 3 base coats, 4 or 5 mid coats since it goes on thin and this is my pearl. Then a lot of clear. I am sure it will hold up no problem. It looks really Bitchen, I just wish the boat itself looks the same. Its a bummer when you make something look nice then the other things look worse.

Banshee
05-17-2002, 05:51 PM
Thanks Bense468 and HBjet. So that's a rail kit. It does look super sharp. About what did that kit cost, and how hard was it to install? It looks like there are five bolts thru each stringer instead of three but the bolts won't pull thru with the backing plates. Is that true?

Bense468
05-17-2002, 09:01 PM
I have seen them from 300 to a grand. Some guys make special ones. Hi tech performance has one for 500 polished 300 un-polished. Not sure how it works, looks good. I think HBJet got his from Tom Papp you could e-mail him and ask him. Jack at MPD sells nice ones but they are expensive like a grand or so. Yeah they hold up better then the regular motor mounts. What is nice is with 4 bolts and if you have a one wire alternator and a piece to your starter to disconnect in one spot you pretty much can have the motor out. As far as installing the rail kit its not that hard you just need a cherry picker and put the motor in line everything up to where it should be let the motor hang, mark your holes take the motor out. drill and mount rail kit and set the motor back in.

Banshee
05-18-2002, 04:50 AM
Thanks again Bense468. I’m definitely going to put a rail kit in when I redo my motor. Presently my motor is stock so I think I’ll keep the 3 point for now but a rail kit has already been added to my list of needed goodies.

Bense468
05-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Good idea. No prob on the help

HBjet
05-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Installing the rail kit though isn't as easy as Bense468 makes it sound. Yes, it was easier then I thought, but you do have to take your time, and check everything before final installation.
The kit MPD offers isn't a kit at all, he makes them custom to yout boat, not one is alike.
HBjet
[This message has been edited by HBjet (edited May 18, 2002).]

lakesmodified
05-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi tech performance has one for 500 polished 300 un-polished. Does this price include the front and rear engine plates?

Bense468
05-20-2002, 12:17 PM
http://hi-techperformance.com/Minitures/Mtr_Mt_and_Rail_Kit_3921.jpg
Here it is unpolished. I am sorry it is $350.
Randy most rail kits have to be modified according to a lot of the guys i have talked to. Petterson at Rex used to make them. I talked to him about them and he said most of the ones you order have to be modified a little to fit anyway. So as far as Jack's being custom yes and a lot of guys do it this way. You are going to get a better set up if it is stricktly for the boat. People like Hi-tech and CP and whoever else makes them are trying to get a standerd out that works for most. Just curious did yours have to be modified at all? Yours was from Papp right?
[This message has been edited by Bense468 (edited May 20, 2002).]

GottaJet
05-20-2002, 05:05 PM
THAT SH*T IS TIGHT HB JET
GJ