PDA

View Full Version : any info on crane fireball hi-6 vs msd

502procharger
06-18-2002, 07:35 PM
if anyone has any input on the crane fireball hi-6 marine ignition i would love to hear about it. i need to purchase a new ignition system and was about to buy a complete msd ( dist. , coil , wires, ignition) but i started to read about the crane and now i do not know what the hell to do. as always,any info is great.

hack job
06-18-2002, 07:39 PM
stay the hell away from the crane fireball 6 its a piece of crap. i had it on my boat and it owuldnt let me rev over 4100 rpm and then i took it off and my boat would rev to 5600 and no the rev controler was not engaging! jut my .02
Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

waterfn
06-18-2002, 08:19 PM
I've had mine for 2 years and have had no problems. I think I would go with the complete msd though. I took my crane off my truck so I had to use it somewhere.

cruser
06-19-2002, 12:53 AM
Been using the Crane for three years. I had a problem with my first box just before the year waranty was up but when I contacted them they took care of it (as they should). The problem had to do with driving my tach. No problems since. I like the dial rev limiter better than the MSD resistors. Set the dials and your done. Adjustable in 100 rpm increments. However, if you will be looking at using boost retard or the like in the future, the MSD might be a better choice. It appears there are more options with the more popular MSD system.

david laxton
06-19-2002, 03:54 AM
Go with the MSD. I had a Crane box in my jet
for over a year and thought it was working ok. Then I installed a MSD 6al box and wow.
The motor started better and the idle was much better. Crane talks a good game but MSD
is the choice of racers for a good reason.