PDA

View Full Version : SBI VS APBA OFFSHORE

ginoj
04-26-2002, 10:31 AM
I WANT TO THANK JOHN CARBONELL AND THE STAFF OF SBI FOR HELPING MAKE MY CHILDHOOD DREAM A REALITY. SINCE I WAS 10 YEARS OLD AND MY DAD RACED AGAINST BETTY COOK, ROCKY AND ALL OF THE OTHER LEGENDS IT HAS BEEN MY DREAM TO RACE OFFSHORE. LAST YEAR WAS MY ROOKIE YEAR IN APBA AND SBI. LAST YEAR WHEN I STARTED RACING APBA IT WAS A LOT LIKE MILITARY SCHOOL. THE STAFF WAS VERY COLD, UNFRIENDLY AND TO THE BOOK. RACING APBA WAS MORE LIKE GOING TO A JOB YOU HATE RATHER THEN A SPORT I LOVE. LAST WEEK I RACED IN MIAMI WTH SBI. IT WAS AN INCREDIBLE WEEKEND! I WANT TO COMMEND JOHN CARBONELL FOR THE 2001 RACE VENUE HE HAS PUT TOGETHER. SBI NOW HAS ALL OF THE KEY RACE SITES AS WELL AS THE BEST MEDIA COVERAGE. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO ANYONE THAT RACES APBA EXCLUSIVLY GIVE SBI A TRY. THEY ARE BY FAR, IN MY OPINION THE BEST RACE ORGANISATION THERE IS! RACING SHOULD BE FUN NOT WORK, ESPECIALLY WITH THE AMOUNT OF MONEY WE HAVE TO SPEND TO DO IT!

spectras only
04-26-2002, 12:55 PM
ginoj, is Betty Cook's throttleman John Connor still around? Those were the real races with true offshore venues!

RumRunner
04-28-2002, 12:32 PM
SBI, and APBA both have there own place, since they have different vissions of where offshore racing should be.
SBI: is more old school going to traditional offshore big water sights. Which is great for the racers, and for the "he with the deepest wallet wins attitude"
APBA: is going to tighter courses that they can get more spectator involvement to take the racing to the next level to where a guy could hopefully race for a living.
They both have there place, it's just a shame there has to be so much animosity towards each other.

Spirit of Discovery
04-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Pacific Offshore, a division of APBA Offshore, also has the true open ocean offshore races. You are right that it is a shame we all can't see eye-to-eye. We have the same problem as a division of the parent sanctioning body. I don't think that there is anything that can't be worked out, though. If you're near the west coast and want to see what real offshore racing is all about, come to our races. the schedule is on our website, www.pacificoffshore.com. (http://www.pacificoffshore.com.) Its kinda funny...when some of our racers go back east, they might get told that us west coasters aren't wanted back there. We are used to the rough. The stadium races just don't make the kind of water we have out here. I do agree, though, that the stadium race is absolutely necessary. We need to get the spectators to the races and the only way to do that is to make them spectator friendly. More spectators = more sponsorship money!! APBA Offshore is on the right track in that matter. Otherwise, you get a bunch of rich guys with fast boats out for a play day. The stadium type race adds legitimacy to the sport of offshore. I myself am not going to start the season only for lack of a sponsor. I'm just a working Joe and need the sponsor money to make our program work. Don't be too quick to bash APBA. Although I disagree with some of the ways they do some things, I believe that they are on the right track. Offshore racing is a GREAT sport and we need to be recognized by the companies who are willing to reach the racing fans.

RumRunner
04-29-2002, 03:46 PM
I would love to be able to race the old Miami to Key West races, but there is no way in todays world to be able to do it economically. Not sure if any of you "left Coasters" came to any one the east coast races last year, but I can say I got more beat up in a dam pace boat in Daytona than I've ever been in a race!!!

Flashwave
05-02-2002, 05:13 AM
RumRunner
You’re right about Daytona. We just got back and the boat is in the shop for repairs from the beating it took on those Daytona waves. They are big and they come at you from two directions. Definitely some of the best slop we've ever raced in. Out here on the west coast we have three venues just as challenging, Oceanside, Huntington Beach and Ventura. Big water is why we race offshore. It's exciting for us and the fans.