PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise

R Glaze
08-14-2003, 05:12 AM
Hope some of you guys can help. I'm ditching the vindicator and buying Jet. No more props fo me! The other day I found a 74 Taylor SJ sitting in a field, so I stopped and asked the guy if he was interested in selling the boat, actually I asked him if I could haul it off. Yea, the boat is kinda ruff. Hull is in good shape, has no motor or interior, berkley pumps apart but seems to all be there, has the original paint but it's shot. Trailer is there but also needs redo. I can do all the work myself. I need a winter project. Got a healthly big block needing home. Ok to the question, he wants a grand for it, I offered him $500.00. Is it worth it??? Not to many other jets round here, (Houston) for a decent price.

Taylorman
08-14-2003, 06:05 AM
I have a 76 Taylor SJ. I like it, its a good hull. A grand sounds like alot for how you described it. I paid 2500 for a running boat in decent shape. Where do you live in Houston?

R Glaze
08-14-2003, 07:30 AM
Northwest side,(Spring). I usually hit the San Jac river, Conroe or Clear lake. Conroe the last few weeks. I'm just looking for a build project. Don't have a lot of cash. My Vindicator has taken all that.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
08-14-2003, 09:49 AM
ASK YOUR SELF ANOTHER QUESTION...WILL IT BE WORTH IT TO YOU TO HAVE PROBABLY $15K INTO THE BOAT WHEN DONE(IF NO RADICAL PARTS ARE USED)? IF YOU LOVE TO TINKER THAT'S GREAT, BUT HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO INVEST IN TIME AND MONEY? I GOT MY SIDEWINDER IN TURN KEY, PRETTY VIRGIN SHAPE FOR $5K, A COUPLE YEARS AGO(BBC, BERK JG, 1972, NEW SEATS, CARPET.(AND I STILL PUT $$$INTO IT TO MAKE IT FASTER!) GOOD LUCK...BILL.

LakesOnly
08-14-2003, 11:07 AM
I would never, ever buy a dilapidated, 20-year-old fiberglas hull that has been UV-washed and weathered by sitting in a field.
Also, constructng a boat/acquiring marine parts can be either ridiculously expensive (new parts) and/or time consuming (used parts), not to mention all the fab work required in either case.
LO
[ August 14, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-14-2003, 11:32 AM
R Glaze:
Hope some of you guys can help. I'm ditching the vindicator and buying Jet. No more props fo me! The other day I found a 74 Taylor SJ sitting in a field, so I stopped and asked the guy if he was interested in selling the boat, actually I asked him if I could haul it off. Yea, the boat is kinda ruff. Hull is in good shape, has no motor or interior, berkley pumps apart but seems to all be there, has the original paint but it's shot. Trailer is there but also needs redo. I can do all the work myself. I need a winter project. Got a healthly big block needing home. Ok to the question, he wants a grand for it, I offered him $500.00. Is it worth it??? Not to many other jets round here, (Houston) for a decent price. I live in Houston and bought my jet 4 years ago. I got a great price 4 grand and it was all you see in the pictures. Houston is a big city and I promise you there are some turnkey jets for sale around here. Have you talked to mike at Mike's pump and speed? he is up off of I-45 at gulf bank. he specializes in jet boats and might know of a good one for sale pretty reasonably. I personally wouldn't haul the thing off for the guy much less try to restore it. Mike's number is 281-820-1559. His wife's name is Danna. very good people. Maybe we can hook up and jet sometime. I go to Sommerville though. right now my interior is in the works but soon it should be done.
Anyhow here is what 4 grand got me.
Omega
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523012431-R1-2A-med.jpg

R Glaze
08-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Clean boat OBJ. It's all for not now. The guy got back with me and says he isn't going below a grand. Conversation ended right there. Yea I know Mike somewhat. I used to run a 21' Sleekcraft back in the day and he helped a bunch. I'm gonna start searching the adds. You know how it is when kids, (42yld), like me decide they want something, good judgement kinda gets clouded. I haven't been to Sommerville since I had the Sleekcraft. Would be good to get back there. Gimmie a shout soem day when your going mabey we can hook up.

Taylorman
08-15-2003, 11:27 AM
RGlaze, you and Omega are probably neighbors and don't even know it. I get over to that part of Houston often. My in-laws live on Cutten rd.

GlastronGuy
08-15-2003, 02:28 PM
THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER:
ASK YOUR SELF ANOTHER QUESTION...WILL IT BE WORTH IT TO YOU TO HAVE PROBABLY $15K INTO THE BOAT WHEN DONE(IF NO RADICAL PARTS ARE USED)? IF YOU LOVE TO TINKER THAT'S GREAT, BUT HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO INVEST IN TIME AND MONEY? I GOT MY SIDEWINDER IN TURN KEY, PRETTY VIRGIN SHAPE FOR $5K, A COUPLE YEARS AGO(BBC, BERK JG, 1972, NEW SEATS, CARPET.(AND I STILL PUT $$$INTO IT TO MAKE IT FASTER!) GOOD LUCK...BILL. Except for all the screaming, he's correct. Unless it is something you have to have for love or nostalgia, pass on it.
I got mine for free and it was in better shape than you describe.

dawgdude
08-18-2003, 06:34 AM
Taylorman, where at on Cutten Rd. I've patroled that area for the last few years.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-18-2003, 07:53 AM
R Glaze:
Clean boat OBJ. It's all for not now. The guy got back with me and says he isn't going below a grand. Conversation ended right there. Yea I know Mike somewhat. I used to run a 21' Sleekcraft back in the day and he helped a bunch. I'm gonna start searching the adds. You know how it is when kids, (42yld), like me decide they want something, good judgement kinda gets clouded. I haven't been to Sommerville since I had the Sleekcraft. Would be good to get back there. Gimmie a shout soem day when your going mabey we can hook up. yeah maybe we can do that as soon as I quit working every single weekend. pays good though. I hope to free up and have some time off in Sept. I'll shoot you a PM if we go.
Omega

Jim Hall
08-18-2003, 08:17 AM
Hey R Glaze we may be neighbor's! I live in Spring,,(Bridgestone West) off Kuykendahl/FM2920. I found my boat ,similiar to Omega's for $2500. Keep looking they are out there. I found mine in boat trader.

dawgdude
08-19-2003, 07:33 AM
If anyone was wondering my sign on name has changed to dawgdude, (that's to protect the inocent),I'm still looking. I'm hoping that towards the end of summer some of the weaker ones will give up and sell. Bridgestone West is not to far off from me, I live close to Cypresswood and Stubner Airline. I need to get rid of this Vindicator, but until the suits settled, (hopefully by December), I have to hold on to it. Was at the river last weekend. perfect water. Only saw two jets the whole day.